Mckenzie River float

O
OnTheFly
It's been nearly ten years since I floated this river with a group of pontooner's. We shuttled up from Armitage far enough to give us a full day of fishing. I would like to float this stretch again or a different one. Here's where my line of questioning comes in; for the life of me, I cannot remember where we put in for that particular float. I recall a small parking area and a ramp, and it was maybe a thirty minute drive, that's all I know. So I need someone familiar with the area to inform me with various float options. A little schooling with fishing options are welcome too:D

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Experience level..

Experience level..

OnTheFly said:
It's been nearly ten years since I floated this river with a group of pontooner's. We shuttled up from Haritage far enough to give us a full day of fishing. I would like to float this stretch again or a different one. Here's where my line of questioning comes in; for the life of me, I cannot remember where we put in for that particular float. I recall a small parking area and a ramp, and it was maybe a thirty minute drive, that's all I know. So I need someone familiar with the area to inform me with various float options. A little schooling with fishing options are welcome too:D

What is your experience level? I have a few floats, they are quite mellow; but produce fish.
Personally I would float the Middle Fork of the Willamette...less pressure and nicer Trout, Steelhead and Boots if you like them.

Chuck

O
OnTheFly
Troutski said:
What is your experience level? I have a few floats, they are quite mellow; but produce fish.
Personally I would float the Middle Fork of the Willamette...less pressure and nicer Trout, Steelhead and Boots if you like them.

Chuck

Hello Chuck, I believe my river experience level is better than average however my pontoon boat is only an 8ft-er. I could easily run the lower Deschutes from Warm Springs to Trout Creek with it but any water bigger than that may be an issue. I was looking for put-in and take-out locations with a days fishing in-between. I'll research any suggestions. Thanks:)

T
Teo
I would like to revive this thread because I would also like to know of good stretches of the McKenzie that aren't too difficult. I have a pontoon boat also that I have been floating the Alsea with this winter. Spring is coming and I need to start figuring out where to fish. In particular I would like to know some areas above Leaburg, though any info about any parts of the river would be appreciated.
Thanks,
K

jamisonace
jamisonace
A very popular float that can be milked for a long time but is only a couple miles is between Rennie and Silver. I can never remember which is upstream and which is down but you could lock a bike at the take out and ride it up to the put in to get your rig. I do this all the time between Island and D on the Willamette. In general there aren't too many difficult areas on the upper Mckenzie but I'd avoid floating past Ben and Dorris Kay Park because the rapids just below that is pretty killer. Below leaburg I really like Bellinger to Hayden Bridge. There is nothting in that float that would cause you any trouble...tho you should still always be careful.

T
Thuggin4Life
I haven't done the float but there are a few ramps to put in and take out i'll start downstream and work up. Armatige, harvest lane, hayden bridge, right above hayden is one big rapid, ballenger, and then more farter up but i think the farther up you go the more rapids you run into. you could float down from ballenger and take the toon out and carry it down the bank right before hayden and then maybe even float down to harvest. I think hayden to harvest is a 2 hour float at the most. see people do it all the time in the summer. You could put in at hayden and float to armatige and i bet that could be an all dayer fishing. Oh just noticed you said above leaburg. I have no idea up there.

N
nwkiller
i think that the most relaxed, easily axccesed, and lots o' fish is the float from hayden bridge to armatege, or you can shorten it and put in at marshal landing depending on how long you want to be on the water, hayden to armatage is about 2 hrs with no stops, but put in and marshal and it would be about an hour with no stops, plenty of soft water and tons of holes....dont work my spots over too hard....lol

T
Thuggin4Life
I guess mashall is the official name of harvest lane.

N
nwkiller
mybad...totally was thinking in my head i was wrong and i am...andy is correct i ment harvest....marshall is on river road and its a willamete ramp

jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace said:
A very popular float that can be milked for a long time but is only a couple miles is between Rennie and Silver. I can never remember which is upstream and which is down but you could lock a bike at the take out and ride it up to the put in to get your rig. I do this all the time between Island and D on the Willamette. In general there aren't too many difficult areas on the upper Mckenzie but I'd avoid floating past Ben and Dorris Kay Park because the rapids just below that is pretty killer. Below leaburg I really like Bellinger to Hayden Bridge. There is nothting in that float that would cause you any trouble...tho you should still always be careful.

Correction to my post. The park is called Ben and Kay Dorris and the rapids just below it is Marten's Rapid. This is the largest rapid on the river. Thuggin's right, the higher you go the bigger you'll find the rapids and the water is consistently faster. Get up too high and it's all pocket water. No major rapids but very fast.

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
nwkiller said:
i think that the most relaxed, easily axccesed, and lots o' fish is the float from hayden bridge to armatege, or you can shorten it and put in at marshal landing depending on how long you want to be on the water, hayden to armatage is about 2 hrs with no stops, but put in and marshal and it would be about an hour with no stops, plenty of soft water and tons of holes....dont work my spots over too hard....lol

This water is Class 1 water.

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
Prince Helfrich Landing above Leaburg has a Class 2 rapid named Gate Creek. Other than that, you have some roller coster rapids and an island to go around to the left before Gate Creek Rapid. To set up for Gate Creek, go right center, then after the first two rocks on your left, begin ferryin from right to left as there is a shelf on your right side above where Gate Creek itself enters the McKenzie. Keep rowing away from your obsticale and push when you in a drop to keep your momentum up. Wear your Life jackets always. Pull over when in doudt and survey the rapid. Do not put in at Ben and Kay Dorris as Marten's Rapids can be diffilcult. It is a Class 3. I have seen it at a five. Check the Vida Gauge on you river level site. A decent float is a 1.8 ft. to a 2.5 ft. Enjoy. Fish-On Fred

T
Teo
So if I have this right Gate Creek rapid is down stream from Helfrich Landing and I think just before Vida.

Looks like a Silver Cr. to B&K Doris would be a good float. About 6 river miles, a good days worth. Or is 6 miles too much? I guess it depends on your style of fishing. I tend to be a slow a methodical fisher.

Thanks for your help guys. Good info here. Can't wait for Spring.

O
OnTheFly
nwkiller said:

Glad this thread got a jumpstart again. Hayden bridge might be the place we put in years ago. I recall floating + fishing could have been around 4 to 6 hours in the day. With shuttle time and round trip from Portland, made it a full day. Thanks!

T
Teo
Thuggin4Life said:
I haven't done the float but there are a few ramps to put in and take out i'll start downstream and work up. Armatige, harvest lane, hayden bridge, right above hayden is one big rapid, ballenger, and then more farter up but i think the farther up you go the more rapids you run into. you could float down from ballenger and take the toon out and carry it down the bank right before hayden and then maybe even float down to harvest. I think hayden to harvest is a 2 hour float at the most. see people do it all the time in the summer. You could put in at hayden and float to armatige and i bet that could be an all dayer fishing. Oh just noticed you said above leaburg. I have no idea up there.

I was down in Eugene last weekend and I couldn't find Harvest Lane. How do I get there? I can't find it on any map either.

N
nwkiller
FROM HAYDEN BRIDGE: follow the main road(believe its hayden bridge rd) west, harvest lane will be on your right just before the dairy mart, it is posted..if you get to the new hospital..you went to far. and its not in eugene, its in springfield

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
Harvest Lane is directly across from Page Elementary School on Hayden Bridge Road.

P
plumb2fish
:cool:Alittle birdy told me that there may just be summers in the Mckenzie...

D
dtikey
Im going to shoot that little birdy if tells my secrets anymore.Make sure to who ever is floating below hayden bridge area you keep updated on the regs for fishing because pretty sure they are different from there up.

P
plumb2fish
plumb2fish said:
:cool:Alittle birdy told me that there may just be summers in the Mckenzie...
Well I did some recon and what that little birdy neglected to tell me is that the steelhead that are currently in the river have 2 years or more before I want them on my line anymore. Some one played an April fools joke on me...