McKenzie late October

S
smokie
I'm going to be visiting my daughter in Eugene the last week of October.
Are there steelhead in the river at that time? What section of the river do you recommend for shore fishing?

J
JeannaJigs
They are in the river through the end of the year, they seem to just kinda hang out bulking up before going back to the salt. Upper river seems to be more productive later in the year for me anyways, think around the blue river area, there are a lot of good bank spots, just check out the pullouts. They're pretty hungry, it's a fishery that gets overlooked a bit I think as the fall chinook start coming into the coastal rivers, so the pressure is way down late in the year.

S
steelhead_stalkers
The steelhead go up that high, past the hatchery? That's cool, is that where they acclimate them? Where do the steelhead come from that they keep recycling?

O
Outdrsmn
The secret is out.

J
JeannaJigs
yes, they go all the way up to below the dam at trailbridge, that is the "natural" spawning beds where the "native" fish spawn. The upper river is loaded. No one previously wasted their time fishing above leaburg because there were no "hatchery" fish. I think the hatchery recycles fish downriver a couple of miles from the hatchery, but I'm not certain on that. All the fish with amputated fins, in theory, go up the creek back into the hatchery. I don't think they're going to be clipping fins on mckenzie fish anymore however, heard the ODFW guy mention it, as steelhead are not a native species for the river to begin with, all of them are of hatchery stock that have been spawning successfully on their own, and as a result, they have somewhat taken over the system, hence the change in the regs.

D
Derek
Yup the upper river is good in october thats when I usually catch the majority of my steelhead but they are also still down below the dam caught one last week actually. Went today to just check things out and let my son feed the fish and there were about 15 or so in the trap and didn't see any tags they should be gettin recycled here prety soon. right up above the white bridge is an awsome spot better than below the hatchery I think Esspecially this time of year.

J
JeannaJigs
Derek said:
Yup the upper river is good in october thats when I usually catch the majority of my steelhead but they are also still down below the dam caught one last week actually. Went today to just check things out and let my son feed the fish and there were about 15 or so in the trap and didn't see any tags they should be gettin recycled here prety soon. right up above the white bridge is an awsome spot better than below the hatchery I think Esspecially this time of year.
Totally agreed on the locations. I also like a few areas above blue river, usually it's total solitude, no one else out.

D
Derek
Thats what I like about it too nobody around everyone either gave up or is rifle hunting I bow hunt so I have nothin to do in october except work and fish

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
yes, they go all the way up to below the dam at trailbridge, that is the "natural" spawning beds where the "native" fish spawn. The upper river is loaded. No one previously wasted their time fishing above leaburg because there were no "hatchery" fish. I think the hatchery recycles fish downriver a couple of miles from the hatchery, but I'm not certain on that. All the fish with amputated fins, in theory, go up the creek back into the hatchery. I don't think they're going to be clipping fins on mckenzie fish anymore however, heard the ODFW guy mention it, as steelhead are not a native species for the river to begin with, all of them are of hatchery stock that have been spawning successfully on their own, and as a result, they have somewhat taken over the system, hence the change in the regs.

Some may not believe me but I seen a rotten steelhead in Trail Bridge Res one year. It had was sores all over it. I couldn't believe it myself! :shock:

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
Some may not believe me but I seen a rotten steelhead in Trail Bridge Res one year. It had was sores all over it. I couldn't believe it myself! :shock:

Thought I was losing it, and no one has ever believed me aside from the people that were with me at the time, but, I found not one, but TWO still very chrome steelhead carcasses on the bank near where were camping there. They were about 30 inches each. I didn't think they could get in there, and that maybe someone poached them (at the time illegal to retain non clipped fish) and just left them, but perhaps they can get in there after all.

S
steelheadstalker31
Where is the white bridge?

B
Bfishin
steelheadstalker31 said:
Where is the white bridge?

The white bridge is just a few miles up past Leaburg Dam

S
steelheadstalker31
Thanks

S
steelheadstalker31
Hit the Mckenzie yesterday. Hooked 3, but only one stuck. It was a recycled buck, probably 31" or so. It put up a good fight. There are lots of old salmon rolling around and a few guys trying to catch them up by the hatchery intake:confused: Fished up by the white bridge and caught 2 trout. Very nice looking hole though.

J
JeannaJigs
steelheadstalker31 said:
lots of old salmon rolling around and a few guys trying to catch them up by the hatchery intakeQUOTE]

That's ballsy. I'd be on the phone immediately over that! That crap makes me so mad. The McKenzie is going down the drain, it's turning into the willamette (Think...Dexter)........ It's really very sad.

S
sherretb
Mckenzie

Mckenzie

I fished around the hatchery on 9-30 and had no luck. I didn't even see any caught. There were a few people out fishing. I guess the rain brought people but no fish.

J
JeannaJigs
Fish the upper river, these fish travel the entire distance of this river, the spawning beds are below trailbridge. Post spawn, they just kinda hang out, and then start feeding, bulking back up to go back to the salt.

S
steelhead_stalkers
No reason to go that high when you can hook multiple steelhead lower! :lol:

J
JeannaJigs
Didn't necessarily mean go all the way up, but the hatchery isn't the most productive area of this river this time of year. just suggesting that people move around if there isn't anything happening. that's my two cents.

D
Derek
Around blue river is a good area this time of year. probably head up there monday mornin that or just go fish the old pressure hole. Another good spot is the deerhorn bridge by the golf corse usually you gota fight off the trout there though.