McKenzie and middle fork Willamette

M
Mutiny
Hello, this is my first post on the forum, although I have found some useful info on here already.
I grew up fly fishing for brook trout in Maine, and just picked up the fly rod again this spring after a 12 year lull when I moved to Oregon and became preoccupied with the complications of life as an adult.
I have been having a awesome time chasing around cuts and bows in some of the Portland area streams, and managed a couple trips to the deschutes as well.
however I have been drooling over the idea of hitting the mckenzie and middle fork all summer and just got the news that my girlfriend and daughter would like to attend a daylong event in Eugene this weekend leaving me all day to fish as I please!
The questions I have are these: Which of these rivers is most accessible to someone wading? what general areas are good to wade/ fly fish, are there any nice campgrounds adjacent to good trout water that someone can recommend? What would be the best area that is close to town incase time becomes limited, any current hatches/flys to focus on, and any other general tips and info anyone can offer.
Thanks a lot! And feel free to pm me if you have info you would rather not shout to the world.

• image.jpg
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum! I sure wish I knew any helpful info on those rivers so I could share with you but, I got nada. I know we have some helpful members who will chime in, though. So keep checking back. In the meantime, check the archives on any river or lake you might be tempted to try. Again, welcome!

B
bran_man
Welcome to off. For wading, this time of year both rivers are very accessible. They are both at their lowest levels. You can practically walk across them both in most parts lol. in town, I would suggest day island area around D street in springfield or possibly Clearwater that is a little bit farther out of town. There is steelhead opportunities as well. You can also try the Alton baker area by autzen stadium
However, my number one recommendation for a fly fishing trip in town is always McKenzie at armitage park in Eugene just a couple miles north of Costco. It's a pretty popular (almost famous?) Spot for fly fishing and that area is restricted to flies/lures. That stretch of the river has a great resident native population!
Usually when I fish there I will just stick around under the old train bridge the goes across the river (but this time of year it will probably be filled with swimmers) but that entire area is good. I have caught a lot of natives and even a couple Hatchery fish (even though its catch and release for trout in that area) have also pulled a few steelhead out of there too (but this time of year now there's probably won't be any steelhead in the area)
Now for some bad news. Unfortunately this time of year, all the "in town"spots are usually also flooded with people swimming and partying and whatnot trying to beat the heat. So you may have to work harder at finding a place to fish without distraction. Hope that helps

E
eugene1
I don't know anything about flyfishing, but there is good access to the Willamette from the I-5 bridge near the d street boat ramp on up to day island park (in Springfield). I've seen lot's of fly fishers catch trout and steelhead in that section wading. True, like bran said, there will be people floating the river in tubes, but they tend to come in clumps, they're friendly, and you can fish in between them easy. If you get there early, you'll have the place to yourself with the exception of one other flyfisherman targeting steel (last year anyway).

Good luck to you,

M
Mutiny
Thanks for the suggestions! Sound like some good in town options. How about campsite suggestions for something further out? We'll hopefully be camping Saturday night, and some evening/early morning fishing is definitely in order!