McKay Creek and Umitilla near Pilot Rock and Pendleton

S
strawberry shortcake
Anyone with experience of these two? I live in Pendleton during the week and would love to go fishing during the weekdays after school.

C
crappie1
I used to fish the umitilla years ago around Reith. I caught lots of really nice trout 16 to22 inches wern't uncomon. I drifted single eggs on a fly rod with no lead and light leader. I have no idea what its like now. Then I was the only one fishing it.:D Hope this helps some.
John

S
strawberry shortcake
Thanks! Funny story about fish eggs. When we were little we used to camp on the Lostine River up South Fork in the Wallowa Mountains. The river was filled with baby fish. We would find a pool of them and drop fish eggs into the pool. The little buggers would grab one, realized it was too big to swallow, and spit it back out again. We would laugh till we nearly peed our pants. I guess I am easily entertained.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

L
Lothar Of The Hill People
McKay creek above the lake is alright for trout and Squawfish (.....or the ridiculously named "Northern Pikeminnow" for the politically correct crowd) up to Spring Creek Road. If the water is really high and muddy, forget it. The creek above Spring Creek Rd. is open all year and can be really good. Some holdover trout that can be up to 20" or more can be had, I know because I have caught them up there. Use a 1/4 oz. black/green silver bladed Panther Martin lure or the same color combo in a Rooster Tail. You can also kill them on a wet fly or just nightcrawler.

S
strawberry shortcake
Thank you Hill Person! Just the thing I needed to know. Now I can fish during the week all I want when school starts.

D
Damon79
Mckay Res. also has some nice trout in it.. My in laws used to live in Pendelton and fished it a lot. Some nice Crappie and Bass as well.