McIver winter steelhead fishing question.

F
Fishpdx
So I plunked at meldrum bar and loved the idea , just sitting and waiting for a fish to grab your spin n glow. Now I have a question, because I never heard anyone doing this. At mc iver park at dog creek where fish enters the hatchery mostly everyone fishes a bobber or spinners/corkies . everytime im there thats the only way to fish, So my question might sound dumb or weird but Im curious can I plunk there the same way I plunk at meldrum bar? I would cast to the right side closer to the current and just wait for steelhead to hit my spin n glow? Or is the current too big ? just a weird question, I'm not going to try it when it's crowded but maybe when there's no people in the way, so I won't snag them?
I'm thinking 8 oz weight would be enough because I'm not throwing straight into the current just to get my spin n glow start spinning. Lol just curious.

B
Big3d
If you go that route 8 oz is probably overkill. I would imagine a 5 or 6 would do it with less of a splash.

D
DrTheopolis
People shoot at each other at Dog Creek. I'd recommend against plunking.

I would think you could find a nice open spot to plunk at Riverside, though. Good water for it.

F
Fishpdx
Yea I was thinking 5-6 oz but I would still take my 8oz weight just in case.

F
Fishpdx
DrTheopolis said:
People shoot at each other at Dog Creek. I'd recommend against plunking.

I would think you could find a nice open spot to plunk at Riverside, though. Good water for it.

I would not plunk if there's people, because there's like hardly any space to fish and of course people would get mad. I'm saying if there's no people I would try it.

D
DrTheopolis
I'd stick to the lower river, unless you're fishing for some species that gets out and walks around the lower river. If you're sitting waiting for fish to swim by, why eliminate all the Eagle Creek fish?

F
Fishpdx
DrTheopolis said:
I'd stick to the lower river, unless you're fishing for some species that gets out and walks around the lower river. If you're sitting waiting for fish to swim by, why eliminate all the Eagle Creek fish?

True, maybe find a park below eagle creek. It's just I visit mc iver park a lot because I love the park, been going there since I was little .

F
Fishpdx
Also I have a baitcaster not a round reel or level wind, I can get braid on it and use it for plunking or should i buy a level wind/roundreel ? I looked there's abu garcia ambassadeor for like $60 round reel should I buy it? Or use my Shimano Curado 300 E with like #30-50 braid .

D
DrTheopolis
If the drag is good, and you can cast it well, who cares what kind of reel it is? (BTW -- I think your terminology is OFF. A Curado is a levelwind).

I love McIver Park, as well. And I haven't fished there in years. At this point, I'm not sure you could pay me to fish at Dog Creek.

If you're going to plunk, Riverside would be a good spot. And with heavy weights on the Clack, you're going to lose a bunch of them, due to the big boulder bottom (Sandy is better suited to plunking, with the silty bottom). Big steel nuts/bolts/junk hardware might be cheaper (and much better for the environment).

Artwo
Artwo
Dog Creek area at McIver, don't plunk in there. At the long parking lot next to the boat ramp there's a trail down to the river behind the bathrooms. There is a deep hole back there that I've seen people plunking in in for springers.

Riverside, I've seen many people plunking on the upstream stretch of river right above the boat ramp many times for both steelhead and springers........

C
cchinook
In the past I have done well on springers in Estacada Lake .
Springers in a lake is strange , they are there starting early Apr.
Tied up to the orange bouys , eggs down to 45 feet .Or you can jig
nordics up and down , even troll herring . A lot of steel in there also.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
cchinook said:
In the past I have done well on springers in Estacada Lake

Is this right above the dam located in Mciver park?

K
Kage
I've often thought of targeting the salmon/steelhead at Estacada Lake. I see them breaking the surface plenty of times there.

C
cchinook
yes

F
Fishpdx
cchinook said:
In the past I have done well on springers in Estacada Lake .
Springers in a lake is strange , they are there starting early Apr.
Tied up to the orange bouys , eggs down to 45 feet .Or you can jig
nordics up and down , even troll herring . A lot of steel in there also.

I fished for trout a couple of times there from the dock, saw a lot of steelhead/salmon jumping but I always thought it would be hard finding the depth their in because its pretty deep their and they seemed to be jumping all over the place,.

C
cchinook
The jumpers are not biters I discovered . You have to go down deep , right off the bottom.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Are you in a kayak or something similar to tie up to the buoys? Don't think I've got that much anchor rope on my DB.☺

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

C
cchinook
Just tie up to the buoys with a rope . No anchor . I have a 16 foot smokercraft

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Cool

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

F
Fishpdx
cchinook said:
The jumpers are not biters I discovered . You have to go down deep , right off the bottom.
would it be any good from the dock? if not crowded?