McIver Park (Clackamas River)

F
Fishpdx
I went up to dog creek on saturday hoping to catch my first winter steel. the place was crowded, about 15 people fishing all around. Only saw 5 fish caught on bank, and three guys on a boat caught 7 or 8 . Didn't get any bites I think the fish got spooked with so many people. Should of fished earlier maybe 5-6 am . I was fishing from 9 till 1:30 using pink worm/marabou jigs, blue fox spinners, corkie, and even nightcrawlers. There's a guy who caught a nice steelhead on just a nightcrawler. Well I guess next time!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I always have much better luck if I go very early in the morning or fairly late in the afternoon. Next time...:thumb:

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
It would be nice to go anywhere anymore and not have to deal with all the people. I was on the north fork Nehalem last week with Hans, and when we walked up on my favorite spot there, I said Hey we are the first ones here! Then I got to the other side of a tree where I saw a guy parked on that spot sitting at the base of the tree with a headlight on, setting up his gear. Its only going to get worse as we continue to get more overpopulated. Its just a reality of fishing anymore I suppose. I too, like the way early or late approach because later that morning there were like 20 or more people in a 100 yard stretch of river. Good luck on your next outing. Im heading back to the Clack after the level drops back down a bit.

Cheers,

Chris

S
sapo
MrGrumpFish said:
It would be nice to go anywhere anymore and not have to deal with all the people. I was on the north fork Nehalem last week with Hans, and when we walked up on my favorite spot there, I said Hey we are the first ones here! Then I got to the other side of a tree where I saw a guy parked on that spot sitting at the base of the tree with a headlight on, setting up his gear. Its only going to get worse as we continue to get more overpopulated. Its just a reality of fishing anymore I suppose. I too, like the way early or late approach because later that morning there were like 20 or more people in a 100 yard stretch of river. Good luck on your next outing. Im heading back to the Clack after the level drops back down a bit.

Cheers,

Chris

Ya kinda sucks when you try to get there early and there are other guys there..But I'm sure they wish you weren't fishing there either..part of fishing

D
DirectDrive
It's hard to get away from the crowds during the peak of the runs on some rivers.

One tactic is to fish the front end or tail end of the runs when the masses are off fishing in other basins or hunting.
An example would be fishing the Wilson for late winters in April while the masses are chasing Springers in the Willamette.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
DirectDrive said:
It's hard to get away from the crowds during the peak of the runs on some rivers.

One tactic is to fish the front end or tail end of the runs when the masses are off fishing in other basins or hunting.
An example would be fishing the Wilson for late winters in April while the masses are chasing Springers in the Willamette.

I will be one of the guys chasing springers! I am going soon! Maybe even this coming weekend! :D

C
ChezJfrey
MrGrumpFish said:
I will be one of the guys chasing springers! I am going soon! Maybe even this coming weekend! :D

Sacrilege! Just when winters are starting to come on strong? smh

T
Toyracer38
Oh come on ChezJfrey, winters are so last week. The big boys are in town, and I'm gonna intercept as many as I can, before they get up to you guys. :D

C
ChezJfrey
Toyracer38 said:
Oh come on ChezJfrey, winters are so last week. The big boys are in town, and I'm gonna intercept as many as I can, before they get up to you guys. :D

Hehehe....have at it! The more of you people out there chasing springers, the more freedom I have on the river to chase and catch my quarry. I always smile when this time rolls around and as I drive the 205 bridge, look down and see the armada stretched across the Willy/Clack mouth :)

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
ChezJfrey said:
Hehehe....have at it! The more of you people out there chasing springers, the more freedom I have on the river to chase and catch my quarry. I always smile when this time rolls around and as I drive the 205 bridge, look down and see the armada stretched across the Willy/Clack mouth :)

I LOVE IT!!! :popcorn:

F
Fishpdx
Ha, I Love driving by and seeing all the fishing boats fishing there!

D
DrTheopolis
So, in summary -- a poster tells the tale of going to the biggest meathole in the Portland area...

Then another poster tells of going to the biggest meathole west of the Portland area...

and they both comment on the...

crowds?

There's some inside joke I'm obviously not hip to here.

D
DrTheopolis
Raincatcher said:
I always have much better luck if I go very early in the morning or fairly late in the afternoon.

For most species I target, I find this to be true.

The big exception being winter steelhead. I've always found them to be much more active once the water warms up during the day (which is often only a half-degree, but makes a difference). I've caught way more winters in the afternoon than I have in the early morning.

D
DrTheopolis
MrGrumpFish said:
Its only going to get worse as we continue to get more overpopulated.

While the state, and particularly the Portland area are indeed much more populated than they were 20 years ago (by a large amount), the number of salmon/steelhead tags sold is about the same as it was 20 years ago... so much for the "a lot more people fishing these days" theory (which I've heard many times).

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
DrTheopolis said:
So, in summary -- a poster tells the tale of going to the biggest meathole in the Portland area...

Then another poster tells of going to the biggest meathole west of the Portland area...

and they both comment on the...

crowds?

There's some inside joke I'm obviously not hip to here.

Ya know Doc,

I typically get a bit of decent info or advice out of your commentary, however this just comes across as an attempt to poke the bear via criticism. Is there a rivalry I am unaware of, or are you just overly bored?

D
DrTheopolis
I think there's some extremely solid info in my post:

If you don't like crowds, don't flock to the meatholes. Seems pretty obvious to me.

As a bonus, you generally avoid the dregs of the fishing world -- those who crowd around the intake to a fish hatchery.

"I went to the biggest, closest meathole around and it was crowded" is much like saying "I jumped in the water, and it was wet."

If you count both sides, there's probably almost 30 miles of riverbank below Dog Creek (some not accessible). Being in a crowd on the Clack is 100% voluntary.

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Again, I am failing to see a point in your response other than to be critical of someone else. Just because you are aware of all of the meatholes, does not mean everyone else is, so the information can be useful. Criticizing someone for stating what is obvious to you only serves to reduce the sharing of information. Had he not posted this, I for one would not have known what to expect on my recent visit with my son, and had alternatives planned. In case my post is not the other you have eluded to, don't bother reading "A Crack at the Clack" as it will likely disappoint you further.

So, as I step down off my soap box, a simple request to all OFF, please consider the entire audience rather than yourself, and the 30 seconds of your life spent reading a post, before criticizing the author about the contents. Constructive criticism is helpful, whining is just noise.

And Barb, don't worry, I am done with this subject :)

D
DrTheopolis
Fishnbuck said:
whining is just noise.

So it seems we're on the same page.

"I went to the hatchery hole and it was crowded" seems like a rather basic form of whining.

And actually, applying a false dichotomy to my original post seems like an advanced form of whining.

But to prove I'm not such a bad guy, anyone here is free to ask me about whether I think it will be crowded if they go to Dog Creek, Cedar Creek (Sandy), or the NF Nehalem on a weekend during the peak of a run, be it here or by PM.

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:
But to prove I'm not such a bad guy, anyone here is free to ask me about whether I think it will be crowded if they go to Dog Creek, Cedar Creek (Sandy), or the NF Nehalem on a weekend during the peak of a run, be it here or by PM.

What about Mills Bridge, Wilson? ;)

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
DrTheopolis said:
So it seems we're on the same page.

"I went to the hatchery hole and it was crowded" seems like a rather basic form of whining.

And actually, applying a false dichotomy to my original post seems like an advanced form of whining.

Sorry Carp, and moderators I lied, one last response. That's just it, nobody asked you. Someone provided info, you gave them flack, merely because it was obvious to you. What clearly isn't sinking in, this is not your thread, and your commentary is unwarranted. Hijack over, have a nice day!

Last edited: