Mayfield Pond

C
cookshot
Went to Mayfield pond today with a borrowed pontoon boat. Me and my best fishing buddy spent about 6 hours pulling in bass. Awesome action, but no size. Then we got into a school of bluegill and caught them til my arm got sore. Tried and tried to find some bigger fish, but they were all about the same size. Is it possible that thats all the bigger they get in a smaller pond like this? Sorry about the picture quality, I took them with my phone. All in all caught around 30 bass, a dozen bluegill and a sweet sunburn!

Last edited by a moderator:
T
TTFishon
I used to catch 10 inch bluegill in a pond smaller than that one when I was a kid. Looks like a great day out fishing. Good job!

F
Finneus Polebender
Sounds like a great day to me I had ta work!

C
cookshot
How does one go about targeting bluegill? I was just spotting them and using a roostertail.

T
TTFishon
cookshot said:
How does one go about targeting bluegill? I was just spotting them and using a roostertail.

A fly and a bobber work really well. Doesn't really matter what fly either. Just make sure it's small enough for them to get a hold of.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I used to use meal worms in central Cal. As fast as the hook hit the water they would jump on. lol Love the first picture of your fishing buddy!

T
the_intimidator03
anything small you can use to hook bluegill... bare hook is possible lol. hell a split shot on a bare hook should do it. TT and I caught some while at bond butte. I used my fly rod lol.