May flyfishing upper Deshutes & Lava lakes

F
flyfisher62000
I am planning a trip to the Cascade Hwy lakes area in May.............never been there...........is this a good area for tubing?.........................Rick

H
halibuthitman
I can't believe IrishRover hasn't answered this... mabe he didn't see it... so I thought I would refresh for ya..

F
flyfisher62000
halibuthitman said:
I can't believe IrishRover hasn't answered this... mabe he didn't see it... so I thought I would refresh for ya..

Ok............so is this a good area in May?.............................Rick

H
halibuthitman
I really don't know... but I imagine Irishrover could tell you what rock to stand on... mabe p.m him.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I just got back from the Sandy. Was out swinging flies with that spey rod. Had to make a fire in the wood stove and warm up first! Wee bit of Jamson helped with that.;)

The answer is absolutley yes lots of places to use a float tube. A fun thing to do is hit Little Lava Lake and fish right where the water leaves the lake and forms the Deschuted River. You can't get any further up on the Deschutes than that. Craine Prairie opens on April 24 and it a good place for tubing. I like the Rock Creek Camp Ground area and fish over to Rocky Point. The area has a ton of good tubing lakes like Hosmer. If you ever get the chance to switch out from a tube to a pontoon you might want to give it a shot. You can cover more water and they make a great fishing platform. I'd suggest Craine Prairie as a for sure place to hit. Hope that helps. The only thing to keep an eye out for is how much snow is still around. Which part of May are you headed over?

HHM.......I don't know anthing about Big Creek or the little John Day. But I know a great place for cheeseburgers in Clatskanie!:D

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
And how is it that HHitman has resided in Oregon all this time and hasn't ever fly fished the lakes along Cascade Hwy?:rolleyes: flyfisher62000 take your pick: Hosmer, Big Lava, Little Lava, Davis, Crane Praire,etc. etc. etc. Not to mention the Fall River and Deschutes. You may need to take off May June and July to cover it all. Have a great time!

Irishrover
Irishrover
flyfisher62000..............If you do hit the Fall River and the Deschutes as OnTheFly recomends (both great choices) remember they don't open until May 22nd this year.

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
And how is it that HHitman has resided in Oregon all this time and hasn't ever fly fished the lakes along Cascade Hwy?:rolleyes: flyfisher62000 take your pick: Hosmer, Big Lava, Little Lava, Davis, Crane Praire,etc. etc. etc. Not to mention the Fall River and Deschutes. You may need to take off May June and July to cover it all. Have a great time!
well... a man has to leave some country to roam when he is old... there is a lot of water in this world, and im tryin to cover it all, but im just a man, and with the st joe in idaho, the lower deschutes and the mac, and norther california... and now im a bit of a native golden trout bum.... I need two more months in a year:shock::rolleyes:

H
halibuthitman
plus I figure if Irish doesn't know it... it must be b.s.... hell next christmas im gonna p.m him and ask him what my wife wants for christmas... he make Bill herzog look like a peta member!!! and well onthefly.... he can always fill in the empty places.

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
well... a man has to leave some country to roam when he is old... there is a lot of water in this world, and im tryin to cover it all, but im just a man, and with the st joe in idaho, the lower deschutes and the mac, and norther california... and now im a bit of a native golden trout bum.... I need two more months in a year:shock::rolleyes:

I can see it now, some 1000 year old guy lost in the woods flicking a 4wt. glass Fenwick into the Deschutes wishing he had started fishing this area sooner.

halibuthitman said:
plus I figure if Irish doesn't know it... it must be b.s.... hell next christmas im gonna p.m him and ask him what my wife wants for christmas... he make Bill herzog look like a peta member!!! and well onthefly.... he can always fill in the empty places.

You're right about Irish. He's probably forgotten more places he's fished than most of us will ever fish at but he'll never make my uncle look like a peta member.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
I really don't know all the good holes. I't just that I've had more time to be out there. When your mail box starts filling up with request from AARP instead of Field and Stream I know you'll have covered a lot of water.:lol: I still want to drift the Williamson and hit Mann Lake.

H
halibuthitman
ooh soo much water... and on average we only get 72 years to try to hit it all. sometimes I find myself staring at charts and google earth pictures of the Imnaha... day dreaming.. wishing I could find someone with the testicular fortitude to hike in and fish it for 3-4 days in the early spring with me, someday I will just do it alone.

O
OnTheFly
OK...I'll bite...hate to hijack the thread but what you're suggesting may be at least a five bottle (Jamisons) trip.

Last edited:
F
firepilot
"I find myself staring at charts and google earth pictures of the Imnaha... day dreaming.. wishing I could find someone with the testicular fortitude to hike in and fish it for 3-4 days in the early spring with me"

If we save our cash I have a helicopter to use.... or drop us off.

F
flyfisher62000
Thanx..............probably the second to third week in May................I have a 9 foot Outcast pontoon boat also & my outcast float tube.............is that section of the river worth trying from the lakes down to crane prarie?......................Rick

Irishrover
Irishrover
With the 9' toon you have it made for those lakes. That part of the Deschutes will be closed until May 22nd so it is past when you plan to be there. Unless you are staying past the 22nd. That section of the river is where the state record 9+lbs brook trount was caught in 1980. It's a wadding show. If you are there past the 22 of May you might want to check out the Fall River and use an egg pattern. That area has so many places to fish you could spent a great amount of time there and not hit them all. Which part of the state are you from?

H
halibuthitman
firepilot said:
"I find myself staring at charts and google earth pictures of the Imnaha... day dreaming.. wishing I could find someone with the testicular fortitude to hike in and fish it for 3-4 days in the early spring with me"

If we save our cash I have a helicopter to use.... or drop us off.

oooooh... well, now thats gonna take at least a bottle of jameson in its self... I got the oportunuty in 2000 to fly 18 miles up the anchor river in alaska for a float trout trip.. the pilot dropped us off.. and then procceded to turn his Bell into $100000 of scrap.... I learned what the term... "keep your turns up" meant that day... but for enough steelhead I could probably screw up the courage to fly... so I will take you up on that! Can it lift my drift boat and drop it in like they did with the PT boat in apocolyps now...? awsome!!

F
flyfisher62000
May fishing

May fishing

Irishrover said:
flyfisher62000..............If you do hit the Fall River and the Deschutes as OnTheFly recomends (both great choices) remember they don't open until May 22nd this year.

Thanx for the info.................I live in Redding Calif, right now.........but will be moving to Medford soon..............Rick