Maxima Chameleon

S
Sage_Flyguy
After many years of just always grabbing Trilene. I got into Bass fishing a little more and on our John Day trips the line really took a beating . I switched the following year to P Line 8lb and noticed the same thing , which I now believe is due to the dry dry heat over there. This year I decided to try Maxima Chameleon 8lb. I spooled it on my spinning reel correctly but have noticed it has a bunch of memory , anyone else experience this , or is it possibly just a bad spool?

Jer

C
colbypearson
its got a lot of memory all tough lines do for the most part its strong with lines like that you need 4 or 6lb test, i stick to p-line fluoroclear and a loose drag mostly play the fish and retie often and your good to go.... you can't the best of both worlds unless you fish braid but its highly visible maybe try the new berkley nanofil braid or fireline crystal since its clearer than other braids i would still use a 8lb leader though, it is all preferance. trilene sucks.

S
Sage_Flyguy
I noticed that P Line 8lb seemed to cast nice and hardly any memory. After the 4 days of floating on the John Day river in 100+ deg weather and about 175 fish landed the top 30 or so yards just becomes junk. But I assume that would take its toll on any line .

Thanks for the response Colby
Jer

C
colbypearson
was it frayed from rocks and stuff, and ya im sure the heat could have played a roll in the lines loss of quality maybe bring a couple spools next time if its gonna be a scorcher haha.

S
Sage_Flyguy
Off topic I just saw Cabelas advertising the Curado for 139.99 looks like I better go pick another one of those up this week. Ya know I didn't even notice if it had any wear due to rocks and stuff . but it literally looked sun bleached and became brittle. luckily in the 4 days I didn't have any line failure. I always carry extra line with me and I always re-line after the john day trip .

Jer

E
eat, sleep, fish
Chameleon is probably the worse line you could possible put onto a spinning reel. It's very stiff, has lots of memory, and has horrible breaking strength compared to similar diameter lines.

I personally like Berkley Big Game, but P-Line and Stren also get very good reviews.

Also exposure to the sun will take it's toll on any line. The UV Rays can really weather the line, although I've never experienced anything like you said. I've only noticed it if I leave a setup out in the sun for awhile.

C
colbypearson
rubbing against rocks can bleach the line if its frayed a lot of time line frayed by rocks will be a more noticeable color. big game is good but still not great on spinning reels same with maxima evergreen on anything over 6lb test, stren is o.k on some* of their stuff avoid avoid avoid fluorocast by stren...