Marys River

J
jleepga
Anyone do any fishing for trout in this river in the corvallis area? I'm looking for a place to swing some flies this friday and I will be in the corvallis area. I was thinking EE Wilson, but I'd rather fish a river if I could.

B
beaverfan
jleepga said:
Anyone do any fishing for trout in this river in the corvallis area? I'm looking for a place to swing some flies this friday and I will be in the corvallis area. I was thinking EE Wilson, but I'd rather fish a river if I could.

I knew some guys back in high school who used to fish it, never seemed to do any good. Make sure you check the regs before you go out as many streams are closed to trout angling this time of year.

J
jleepga
Thanks for the quick replay Beaverfan. The river is open from now until April 23 for C&R trout with artifiicial lures and flies only. The reason why I asked is I was under the impression that the Marys was more of a smallmouth river and it's still a little cold to really go after those guys, but I saw in the regs that they mentioned trout season was open.

S
SmallStreams
If you're looking for trout on the Marys River, then I'd start by going upstream from Philomath. Bank access is limited due to private property, but you might be able to hike along the railroad. Biggest problem with the river is that the water is way too warm in the summer months, so you would only find trout where there are cooling waters entering, but that shouldn't be a problem this time of year. A friend & I fished it last summer and found the cutthroat to be on the small side, though I finally took home one that was decently over the minimum length.

Though it's not open for steelhead, it's conceivable you could encounter one or two. They'd be more likely headed towards the Tumtum River.

troutdude
troutdude
jleepga said:
Thanks for the quick replay Beaverfan. The river is open from now until April 23 for C&R trout with artifiicial lures and flies only. The reason why I asked is I was under the impression that the Marys was more of a smallmouth river and it's still a little cold to really go after those guys, but I saw in the regs that they mentioned trout season was open.

I grew up in Philomath, I have never seen a bass come from the Mary's River. I've caught lots of cutts, some bows, cats and chubs, but that's all I've seen. I'm not saying there aren't any smallies or bucketmouths, cuz it does get warm in the summer. But, it also gets snow melt in the spring which I'd think would kill off any bass.

BTW, a dude caught a 50# cat a couple of years ago--at the confluence of the Mary's and the Willy.

And if you go upstream (maybe around Blodgett), you may encounter cutts from the Willy that often reach 2 pounds!

Last edited:
K
ketts05
Does anyone know a good spot near Blodgett or further upstream to fish the Marys R. just looking a map it seems mostly private but I was wondering if anyone had good info on the area? Also fun fact google maps doesn't show the Marys R. as a river on the map setting (i.e. it doesn't show up as a blue line on the "map" setting)

troutdude
troutdude
The "opener" was yesterday (4/24). You can now use bait, instead of artificial lures n' flies. And you can now keep up to 5 per day...instead of catch n' release only (reg's from Jan. 1 - April 23).

As far as access goes, I'd look for a Forest Service (or similar) map and go from there. And ask landowners if it looks private.

Caution: Oregon landowner's do NOT have to post "no tresspassing". If you are caught, without permission, you ARE tresspassing!

S
SmallStreams
Upstream from Blodgett, there isn't much stream that I felt was worth fishing. A lot of it goes through a sandstone layer and the water is murky/gritty as a result. That grit settles out of the stream about the time it gets to Blodgett.

The railroad tracks provide the best access, but there is no public land up there along the stream.

troutdude
troutdude
X 2.

If you fish it between Blodgett and Wren, from along the tracks, you should find a few access points. You will mostly catch Cutthroats maybe up to 12" or so.

K
ketts05
Thanks for the advice I will definitely hit that river up sometime this summer, hopefully before june