Mary's River/ Rock Creek

F
FromTheHills
Anybody ever fished Mary's River, in Kings Valley, near the Caldwell Hill right-of-way? I'm new to the area, but want to throw some spinners for trout. The area looks like it has pretty poor habitat, scoured to bedrock, but you never know. Regulations say there is a catch-and-release only season right now.

Coming soon, lots of steelhead and surf fishing questions from an East Coast transplant... I'm super stoked for the new adventures.

Thanks in advannce.

Last edited:
F
fishudedmeet
welcome

welcome

:Dwelcome to OFF! :)
there are cutthroat and SM bass in that part of the river

F
FromTheHills
Rained most of the morning and I didn't get out to Cardwell Hill area on Mary's River, but went to Willamette Park and walked a good lenth of the river from parking lot to parking lot, pretty muddy and difficult in places.Threw spinners. Not a bite, strike, or site of any fish. Lots of ducks, hawks, mergansers, herons. And a good sunset. Looks like river right has more habitat. But it was good enough for me, pretty peaceful back there.

C
chris61182
I'm not familiar with the Cardwell Hill area or a Rock Creek feeding into the Marys, so if you do make it up there I'd love to see any pictures or read a detailed report of it.

F
FromTheHills
My bad, Rock Creek isn't actually a direct drain... it starts somewhere on public lands near Mary's Peak, I believe. I'll give an update.

Last edited:
F
FromTheHills
Mary's River (Un)Report 2/12

Mary's River (Un)Report 2/12

Fished Mary's River from the Caldwell Hill right-of-way near Fitton Green. No hits, strikes, or sightings of a thing, except what looked like a sculpin, which had the broadest head I've ever seen on a sculpin, maybe a Riffle or Reticulated sculpin? Anybody know about local sculpins? This was probably the biggest sculpin I've ever seen.

Overall, just a calm day and the sound of water, which was just fine by me (although a strike would have been welcomed). Only fished an hour and half or two. I waded the river best I could, but it was a little murky. I think the best way to do this stretch would be a canoe or kayak. The banks are difficult and there is a lot of private property around, so best would be traveling via boat.

I didn't fish long, too much private property to make it worthwhile by foot, in my opinion.

C
chris61182
Thank you for the report, be sure to get back out there as the weather warms and the fish become more active. You may have just found yourself a nice little honey hole.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Hey keep hittin them they gotta wake up someday!

Here are a couple smallmouth spots close to home that I have fished with great success.

Google Maps

I have nailed a million smallies here, some to decent size. Just go to the park and find the trails. You will be amazed!

Google Maps

When you;re heading back into downtown take what looks like a utility road on the left. Great fishing under the bridge.

Last edited:
S
SDK
Where on the east coast did you come from? I'm a recovering New Yorker myself ;)

Not many easterners make it to in Oregon, so welcome! I've been here a year and am still trying to get a handle on all of this drift fishing/bobber & egg, salmon and steelhead stuff. I'm getting there though....

Scott

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Don't forget bobber and sandshrimp tails!! ;);)

F
FromTheHills
Out of Hiding...

Out of Hiding...

Yea, thanks for the information and encouragement folks, and the maps G-Zen. I agree, they'll come out of hiding, or I'll learn how to fish (haha). I couldn't really get to any pools on my trip, so... another day, another way.

Hmm, East Coast is probably a poor identifier for me actually, makes it sound like I know something about salt. I'm "FromTheHills"-- West Virginia.

I lived in Oregon a while back, and here I am again. But didn't do much fishing back then.

Thanks again... until next time.

S
SDK
GraphiteZen said:
Don't forget bobber and sandshrimp tails!! ;);)

Or bobber, egg, "and" sandshrimp tails :D

I still remember my first walk through Sportsmans Warehouse, and turning down the isle with all of the corkies, spin-n- glos and yarn. I'm thinking to myself, "why are there arts and crafts supplies in the middle of the fishing section"?? :think:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Welcome back Scott. Haven't heard much from you in a few months, but hope the hiatus worked out for the family, and home. And the shrimp/egg cocktail is one of my favorite set-ups for backbouncing coastal Chinook.

S
SDK
Thanks AA, and yes the hiatus was longer than expected, but we are settled in and enjoying the Eugene/Springfield area.

I'm actually going to start another thread insipred by a scouting trip I took yesterday.