Mary S. Young Park!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Met up with the FishWhisperer this morning. Hauled our tubes down to the water and put in about 4 hours of Bassing. Caught a few but he said I "shoulda been there yesterday". I'm learning a lot from him, I probably drive him crazy with all my question's. As we were leaving he thought he saw a clue as to why the bite had changed. I took a picture to show how much the water had dropped while we were there. The cement pipe was covered when we got there.

• mary2.jpg
  • mary1.jpg
T
TimberTodd
Wow, that is a pretty fast drop in water depth.

B
Big3d
Lots of tidal influence anywhere below the falls. A reminder for those who park on Meldrum bar, what's land at low tide isn't always on land at high tide.

bass
bass
Big3d nailed it. Right now tidal swing is 3' in that area. Size of the swing varies quite a bit depending on moon phase, flows, flows in the Columbia, etc. I think the biggest the swing gets to is about 4', but that is rare.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Big3d said:
Lots of tidal influence anywhere below the falls. A reminder for those who park on Meldrum bar, what's land at low tide isn't always on land at high tide.

I had no idea that the tide had that much of an effect on the river up there.

D
DrTheopolis
They've been releasing more water from the Columbia dams, which creates hydraulic damming on the Willy, which increases the tidal swing (which goes all the way up to the Falls).

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
Tides?!?!? I'm used to fishing tidal waters, where can I find a tide chart for the area?

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that it had that much tidal influence. The bite I have been experiencing down there makes a lot more sense now. The incoming tide really gets those fish active!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Fishwhisperer44 said:
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that it had that much tidal influence. The bite I have been experiencing down there makes a lot more sense now. The incoming tide really gets those fish active!

I never fished for Bass below the Falls before, really never fished anywhere below the falls on the willy before. Bass and Doc. thanks for the lesson!