Marshmallows for bait?

Cedonulli
Cedonulli
In the early 70s I used to spend weeks on Shasta Lake. The best fishing of my life was one week in 1971 near the dam. We used single small marshmallows and I dont remember the name of the trout---they were big. 3 to 10 pounds. We pulled them in all day and evening. I mean as fast as the hook hit the water. It was shallow---someone told us later they may have been spawning there. We kept the limit, then took barbless hooks for the fun and kept at it until we just flat wore out. Anyway, I have not fished in years but am starting up at age 65. I never hear anyone talk about marshmallows. Anyone he

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

Haven't seen too many lately. But some folks use small marshmallows to help float worms OFF of the bottom. Then there is the infamous "Wickiup sandwich", that additionally includes a salmon egg for added scent.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Common fishing technique for planters around the CA trout holes, including the sandwich.
often just the marshmallow or with a salmon egg or two.

B
bajafire
Prior to floating baits we made our own with marshmallows.
Using a # 12 or 14 treble, one salmon egg on each hook split a mini mallow half way through insert the line and slide it down over the eggs with your weight about 12 to 16 inches above.
Haven't tried this in since I've been in Or. Use only artificials now.

Reactions: plumbertom
plumbertom
plumbertom
I think all these scented bait makers has made us lazy and less innovative.
I used to make trout bait out of Velveeta, dried shrimp, garlic powder, and anise extract.
It didn't float but it would sit at the top of any weeds and I had plenty of success with it.
Today I sometimes make my own scent to add to my offerings but it's just so much easier to buy premade.

Reactions: Casting Call and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
plumbertom said:
I think all these scented bait makers has made us lazy and less innovative.
I used to make trout bait out of Velveeta, dried shrimp, garlic powder, and anise extract.
It didn't float but it would sit at the top of any weeds and I had plenty of success with it.
Today I sometimes make my own scent to add to my offerings but it's just so much easier to buy premade.

For a long while now I use a half bottle of Berkley's trout scent. Then mix in Anise, Salmon Egg, Garlic, and Shrimp scents into the bottle until full. That mix has caught me more trout that anything else ever.

troutdude
troutdude
And I also "pre-soak" my Power Eggs in that juice, prior to each outing. Then coat each Power Egg before tossing them into the drink as well. For the maximum possible scent dispersion.

D
Don Fischer
Years ago when I lived near Kalispel, Mont we fished a lake near Kalispel with those small marshmallow's. What we did was put on a marshmallow and turn over some rocks to get what we called itchy bugs. The bugs got hooked on top the marshmallow's and the marshmallow floated the bug up out of the grass on the bottom so the fish could see it.

Tried power bait at East Lake years ago for the first time. Same thing happened with it. Power bait floated up about the cover on the bottom of the lake! Got some piece's of marshmallow covered with sardine scent want to try for catfish idea being get it off the bottom!

plumbertom
plumbertom
It's my impression that when using floating baits above w weedy bottom that changing your leader length until you get very near being just a few inches about the tops of the weeds is an important step.

Reactions: Don Fischer
troutdude
troutdude
Better yet simply use slip sinkers or slip bobbers; and easily adjust your depth to match the situation.