Marion Lake

F
fishudedmeet
Has anyone fished Marion lake?

M
Mike123
I have but the weather conditions made it complicated. haha
3-4ft waves and I was out in my float tube.
If you go there make sure its not windy!
We could only fish one small section of the lake... and no fish for us. :(

P
PacRat
I've had great hikes in and around Marion Lake, but no fish on three different trips.

Beautiful, though!:dance:
Tony

T
tnffishman
caught some nice brookies at marion lake with powerbait. and also hooked up on a monster rainbow on a rooster tail. I heard that two summers ago was really good fishin up there

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Soooo lost....

Soooo lost....

Aaarrrgh!!! I have tried Google and two other mapping services and simply cannot find Marion Lake! I'm assuming it might be close to Salem but I am lost. Can any of you give fairly good directions from the Salem area? I would love to check it out. Thanks friends,be safe.
Barb

B
BlackTalon
Marion Lake

I can't remember exactly where it is but not real close to Salem. My brother and I hiked into there years ago. We took a small raft in a backpack and fished in the snow. Also made a trip there that included a "close call" with a fuel canister after a few too many beers. Ah the memories.

Evan

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thank you!

Thank you!

Acousticfish said:
I did some searching of my own and found this. I believe it is the Marion lake that I have heard of. I have a friend who hikes in ever opening day. Alas he is in Montana for a bit. Here is a link to a map on Google hope this helps if you like I'll call him and ask.

from: salem or to: +44° 34' 36.36", -121° 53' 39.48" (44.576767, -121.894300) - Google Maps

Acousticfish;
Thank you so much for that. I will be checking it out as soon as decent weather arrives. I am not much for hiking in mud or snow,so will wait a bit. It is definitely on my short list. Thanks again,that is what this site is all about,helping others enjoy the experience. Be safe.
Barb

M
Metz84
Went fishing with my brother at Marion on fathers day and caught 3 brooks and 4 what Im thinking were purple brook trout. The weather was perfect 45 and raining :cool:. We were using gold kastmasters. Their were a few groups of people but not as much as I thought because they stock it on fathers day. Usually there are a lot of people on fathers day. But over all it was a great trip! I would do it again!

3-1.jpg

SANY0032.jpg

SANY0031.jpg

SANY0025.jpg

T
troutramp
that looks awesome where is marion lake?

M
Metz84
Marion Lake is off of hwy 22 in between hwy post 66 and 67 turn left on Marion Creek Road and travel up the road to the trailhead and hike 2 miles or so to the lake.

M
Metz84
My brother and I are heading back to Marion Lake Friday again. Plan on being up there all day fishing the eastern side. Havent fished that side, fished mostly the marion creek outlet and have been very successful.

M
Metz84
We had to postpone our trip till next friday cause work called in. What can I say money talks..:cool:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Smart cookie

Smart cookie

Metz84 said:
We had to postpone our trip till next friday cause work called in. What can I say money talks..:cool:

Nowadays money talks very loudly. :lol: Good decision and good fishing to y'all when you get a chance to get back up there.

B
bigfootfish
Metz84 said:
My brother and I are heading back to Marion Lake Friday again. Plan on being up there all day fishing the eastern side. Havent fished that side, fished mostly the marion creek outlet and have been very successful.

Metz84, Marion is a jewel. Lake Ann to your left as you are going in to Marion has some nice brookies in it. And Marion, well! Here's a post I made awhile back about Marion:

Marion Lake
What's really cool is to be at Marion Lake when the local tree pollen is covering the lake. Fish won't rise for flies during this time. However, if you pack in a floatable then head for the part of the lake which has an underwater spring. The water wells up creating a clear spot as it pushes aside the pollen. Fish that clear spot and prepare for active fishing!

BFF

M
Metz84
Yeah I've seen that post before, but thanks for the advice. Not sure when we will head back up their. Work has really picked up, which is a good thing.

W
willm350
hello all,
Im planning a trip to marion lake at the end of this month. Ive never been to marion and dont know anyone that has. Any info on it would be great. Im thinking about hiking in a raft so I can go anywhere on the lake and possibly do some trolling. like I said any info would be cool even its just to say you had a good time there!!! Thanks all.
-Will

M
markasd
Been there several times... a raft ehh? Got help? I have gone in there with a float tube, gear for a 4 day trip right at 110lbs.... was a chore. Hiked to the northeast side of the lake and had a cool spot to call home for a few nights. The best fishing I have had is at the rock pile right where the trail dumps you in at the lake... big rocks. Worm and a small marsh mellow took the biggest fish - cooked up pretty good too.

Good luck - worm and mellow was the ticket a few years ago.

troutdude
troutdude
willm350 said:
Im thinking about hiking in a raft.

Boy that won't be easy, going up that steep trail IN your raft! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I visited Marion 3 or 4 times, in the mid 80's. And I went again in 2000, leading a group of kids. It's a beautiful spot. There are some NICE trout in there.

On one trip I sat along Marion Creek, about 100 yards down from the lake near a footbridge. The trout where feverishly leaping 4 feet or more, to gulp down the salmon flies that were buzzing around. BTW, from the outflow from the lake to that bridge the creek is closed.

On your way up to Marion--or on your return trip downhill--you should give Lake Ann a go too. It has some nice brookies. They're mostly 8 - 10 inchers. But, I once saw a retired ODFW fellow and his wife with some fat stringers of 12 - 14 inchers!

Marion has some nice bows, up to 20". My buddy got a healthy 18 incher once, in front of a creek inlet. Some bows are nates, and some are planted. You can only keep one over 20" per day. And I see no reg's that say that you cannot keep the nates.

There are native Brookies in Marion too. Generally they are smaller than bows, but can and do sometimes get as big as the bows. And they're are smaller native cutthroat too.

If you're fly fishing and see no current hatch activity; try a two-fly rig leading w/ a Woolly Bugger followed by a small beadhead Prince Nymph or Carey Special. If you're spin fishing, you can try that type of fly combo w/ a float...or try Rooster Tails, other spinners or spoons. BTW, the south shoreline has lots of shallow shoals. That's a good place to fish, as their is a lot of food supply for the trout there...especially the SE corner between the small island and the creek inlets.

WORD: don't leave any valuables in your car. There have been many cars broken into in the remote trail head parking lot.

Good luck.

M
Modest_Man
Pretty sure there are no native brook trout in Oregon. It's a nice lake and from the reports recently people are catching a lot of fish, a couple weeks ago ODFW volunteers hiked in planters too.