Marion Lake?

M
Mattdm22
Think it would be accessible this time of year? Trying to make a trip out there and was wondering.

R
RLK
Should be a good time of year to drag a boat in

troutdude
troutdude
Drag a boat into Marion Lake? You're kidding...right???

The reason that I ask, is that it is a 3-mile uphill hike, that takes a good backpacker an hour to get too!

If anyone wants to attempt to drag a boat up that hill...I'll be the first in line to snap some pics!!! LOL

BTW, in a typical year...the snow hasn't cleared enough until late May/early June. You might want to do some research, before you venture up there.

C
capblack
theres less snow up there than normal, and i hope if your dragging a boat in, its an inflatable in a back pack, Brian

M
Mattdm22
Thanks for the info, we ended up searching for Rainbow Lake. Didn't actually hike to it but found out where to park and stuff. Anyone been to Rainbow Lake before? By the way never go to Mud Puppy Lake, it's more of a bog then an actual lake.

C
capblack
you dont have to hike to rainbow lake, you can drive right to the water on all 4 sides. I was up there 2 weeks ago though, and there was a tree over the road just before you get to it. what made you think you were at a parking place for rainbow? Brian
Mattdm22 said:
Thanks for the info, we ended up searching for Rainbow Lake. Didn't actually hike to it but found out where to park and stuff. Anyone been to Rainbow Lake before? By the way never go to Mud Puppy Lake, it's more of a bog then an actual lake.

M
Mattdm22
The Detroit Ranger Station gave us a map and pointed it out on the map and said it was a hike in lake. =0

C
capblack
they told you wrong. rainbow is on private property, but they leave the gate open as long as people pack out there trash, and theres 4 campspots on the lake that you can drive to. go past idanha and make a right on coopers ridge. go over the bridge make a left. follow it up 5 or 6 miles to a tee. make a right go 2 or 3 miles and make a left where the main road goes left. follow it to the end thats rainbow. Brian
Mattdm22 said:
The Detroit Ranger Station gave us a map and pointed it out on the map and said it was a hike in lake. =0

M
Mattdm22
Should of paid you 6$ for the directions instead of buyin the map.

C
capblack
I just bought a map of the unit, and it has more mistakes than I could imagine, the road that leads to my house isn't even on it, but I have a ragged old map I got from the blm years ago, and its spot on, except for new roads of course. rainbow is a cool place. not ever busy, tons of crawdads and trout.take an inflatable boat, and troll flies. good camping as well, Brian
Mattdm22 said:
Should of paid you 6$ for the directions instead of buyin the map.

M
Mattdm22
That's awesome! We even tried to hit up Tumble Lake but 2 miles up we hit too much snow. :(

is the hike to marion lake pretty rugged? i know there's Lake Ann on the way but i'm just curious so i can plan a weekend trip this summer.

R
RLK
troutdude said:
Drag a boat into Marion Lake? You're kidding...right???

The reason that I ask, is that it is a 3-mile uphill hike, that takes a good backpacker an hour to get too!

If anyone wants to attempt to drag a boat up that hill...I'll be the first in line to snap some pics!!! LOL

BTW, in a typical year...the snow hasn't cleared enough until late May/early June. You might want to do some research, before you venture up there.

It used to be that most of the people that hiked into marion lake were locals (hard ass timber cutters and loggers). The best way to get your boat in was to drag it up the hill in early spring across the snow pack. Once your boat was there for the season they got chained up against a tree, and friends had access to a key. I will try to dig up some pictures of this

troutdude
troutdude
It's not a bad hike, if you don't carry too much excess weight and are in decent physical condition.

Lake Ann, has NICE brookies. And, Marion has good sized native 'bows. Both lakes have easy access areas, for slipping in a float tube or toon.

M
Mattdm22
troutdude said:
It's not a bad hike, if you don't carry too much excess weight and are in decent physical condition.

Lake Ann, has NICE brookies. And, Marion has good sized native 'bows. Both lakes have easy access areas, for slipping in a float tube or toon.

Awesome! Can't wait till the snow clears.

M
Mike123
I hiked the whole way into Marion in my neoprenes with my float tube(inflated) and a back pack.
Also have hiked into Heart Lake before which is 3 times harder than Marion with the same gear.

Heard there's quite a few cats up there this year so pack some HEAT!

O
OnTheFly
The best map in my opinion is the Detroit Ranger District map.
These pictures of Rainbow Lake were taken June '09

Last edited by a moderator:
M
Mattdm22
Ya know if the bank fishing is good since I have no floating device.

O
OnTheFly
yeah I'd say banking it would be alright. There's places to fish to make it worth your while. It's a perfect float tube lake though.

M
Mattdm22
Hiked to Marion Lake this morning. The trail wasn't too bad but there is some snow on the trail but not too bad. Lake Ann wasn't too fishable from the bank but some Forest Service guys were in rafts fishing it up. Marion was decent caught a 14" brookie and my brother banked a brookie that looked atleast 18" but jumped back in right when he banked it. =P

troutdude
troutdude
I was at Marion in 2000, and several times before then. It's a great place!

There was a couple, that had caught a BUNCH of brookies in Lake Ann. And, we've caught decent 'bows at Marion.

Glad you had fun.