March Steelhead

J
joesnuffy
What waters are good for Steelhead in late March? I'm going to be in the portland area but could drive elsewhere.

I'd prefer to use fly gear but will use other methods if I have to.

F
FishSchooler
joesnuffy said:
What waters are good for Steelhead in late March? I'm going to be in the portland area but could drive elsewhere.

I'd prefer to use fly gear but will use other methods if I have to.

Coastal rivers are where the steelhead head are late in the season. this season has been weird though, fish are scattered in small numbers, so a wave might come later...

J
JeannaJigs
The season has been weird...the fish just haven't been coming in due to lack of rain (didn't rain for a month), but they're coming in now...I think the Siuslaw is going to be pretty good all through the month of march, but can't speculate for other rivers as I'm stuck with the 'slaw thanks to lack of gas funds.

O
OneMore
My vote would be clack or sandy.

B
bir48die
I've spent some time with a guide talking about this. He told me the Sandy is the best bet. Over the last number of years, the breeding stock has change to bring the hatchery fish up later so March and April now are the two key months for the upper part of the Sandy.

F
FishFinger
I'd suggest the Sandy river also.

J
joesnuffy
thanks all, please keep me posted if anything else comes up. an actual decision won't be made until i get there i think.