Trolling spinners for Chinook salmon

Q
qwapaw
If you were going to troll spinners in the fall for Chinook what color combo would you like to be fishing. Also would it be a large blade like a #7 or #8. Or would you use a smaller one. I have done well on Chinook, but the last couple of years it's been a Coho show. I plan on making some new colors and types this year and see if I can wake up the Chinook and make them mad enough to strike. 2 Coho a year has made for a short season lately. Thanks for any help you can give me. Tight lines, Dan

E
eugene1
I know spinners work and they are pretty easy, but I have more luck/confidence with herring!

B
BaldTexan
Caught my first chinook ever last year trolling a red/white #7 with a pink hoochie so I'm a big fan of that color combo. Caught a butt ton of coho as well, but the coho would strike about any color combo I tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
taconight2night
Easy- gold and chartreuse is hands down the most productive color combo for chinook. At least it is where I am from (south coast OR)

Q
qwapaw
Yes the Coho drove us crazy. We didn't want to hurt them but wanted out lures back and so web had to reel them in and release them carefully. I like the thought of Gold and Chartreuse. What size blade? I will see what I come up with and post a picture. I will even make one with a hoochie on it. Thanks again, Dan

B
BaldTexan
I've only caught Coho on gold and chartreuse, but I've been told by more than one experienced buddy that is a very productive Cole for nooks. I prefer my spinners with hoochies. They hold scent well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R
rippin fish lips
You will catch more Fall chinook on spinners the further up tidewater you go. The warmer water up there makes them bite spinners better. You should probably be fishing chart/gold like mentioned above, fish your reds, reds/whites. The main point is, you want super flashy, as flashy as you can get. Blades with paint/patters on the front of them make the spinner look bigger and also makes the lure look like its spinning slower ;) If your fishing the cooler water from the incoming tide further downstream in tide water, just Roll some herring. maybe have one rod with a spinner.

Most important... Start early when the chinook are just starting to arrive with the tides before the coho start riding the tides too. The only time i fish a spinner in the coller tide water close the jaws is when im jetty fishing. If in a boat, its a herring show