Macks Canyon on the Deschutes

O
OnTheFly
Just got back from a great but windy weekend on the Deschutes fly fishing for steelhead with Markcanby, ninja, and eggs. Although she chose not to fish, eggs's wife Juey was there too and provided us with support. The evening winds were so strong that it broke figerglass rods on 3 out of four of our tents. During the day, the wind gave us a break and allowed us to fish. Dispite our best efforts, we could not connect with a single steelhead. Eggs found out from a guide that the bite just vanished as weather fronts moved in and put the bite off. Something about the effect from barametric pressure. Anyhoot, these are the only pictures I took of our trip.

S
SALTYFISH
Looks like a beautiful river. one day i will make it there. that water fall looks awesome! sorry to hear about the tent poles that sucks:(

O
OnTheFly
yeah...guess I should mention that the water fall picture and canyon below is of the White River probably 5 miles from the Deschutes and the one Jimmy is at is Shears Falls 17 miles up from where we were camped.

Last edited:
E
eggs
Awesome trip even though we didn't get into any steel! I learned the ways of skagit shooting heads and even with a 1hander can put out a ton of line!

O
OnTheFly
eggs said:
Awesome trip even though we didn't get into any steel! I learned the ways of skagit shooting heads and even with a 1hander can put out a ton of line

That's for sure! That's why you and jimmy were fishing so close to the bank on that one picture because if you guys were any further out you'd foul your lines up on the opposite bank!

L
lilsalmon
Nice pics.....wish I was there....The Deschutes wind wreaks havoc on tent poles....twice.....

F
flux
Just saw this thread - wow, I was out there at the same time I think. I was camping with 4 friends at Mack's Canyon on Sunday night. Wind was howling and it was awful for casting. I got a new Echo 8wt 10 foot rod that has lots of backbone so normally it SHOULD be good in the wind I think, but that was just too much. Monday was much better and I got to practice casting with it, but like you, we got skunked. Glad to know it's not just because we sucked at fishing. I talked to several other groups and no one had gotten even a bite.

N
ninja2010
forgot about this photo... that's what the wind was doing to it until i secured it with my spare fly line...

IMG_0269.jpg

E
eggs
Hahahahahah

O
OnTheFly
I started to laugh but then I remembered my tent was pancaked as well.