Macinaw

R
radiation
A buddy and I are planning on going camping and fishing this weekend. We're taking our downriggers because my buddy wants to try his luck at catching one of those big lake trout. I never fished for them before so I was hoping you folks could help me find some for my buddy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Iv done it once at Crescent lake a few years back. We used down riggers to get near the bottom. And big Rapalas in kokanee color. I think we put the lures about 100 yds behind the boat.

J
JeannaJigs
Last week we were marking quite a few large fish right on the bottom, about 120 feet of water. definitely need a down rigger. we weren't targetting them, and didn't have the appropriate gear, but if you're going after 'em, definitely large rapalas and an old guy once said he used wrapped k15 kwiks near the bottom.

Troutski
Troutski
I have caught them along the south shore line, trolling fast (3.5 to 4.5 mph) about 20 yards from the shore line. We were using Large spoons, giving the lure a quick pull ever so often; I use braided line so the hook set is great being 150' or so behind the boat. Never targeted them using my down rigger. The other way I have caught them is jigging just below the school of Kokes.... at first you are sure you have hooked the bottom, one heck of a fight on a jigging rod. Fish ID is very important at this lake, it is Bull Trout country, not that you would misidentify a fish just a reminder of the guy that last year while bragging about his record Brookie in the camp site got a very heavy fine for his mistake.
Good luck and bent rods to both of you...

Chuck

P5040009Mountain at Odell '06.jpg

C
cowboysfan
Never done it but back in the early 80's a guy came through chemult and had a 45lb Mak, I do know like everyone said they are on the bottom and I have heard like everyone else has said troll or jig. hope you get some would love to see some photo's

R
radiation
My fishfinder sucks so it'll be by trial and error. If we catch anything i'll post it on here. Thanks for all the info. Tight lines.

J
Jimbow
We have mostly caught them by accident with Kokanee gear. Directly east of the rock slide and right below the ski lift is where we've been lucky.

J
JimBob
You don't NEED downriggers.

You can jig for them! There is a bump in front of princess creek i've had luck in.

Reactions: C_Run
C_Run
C_Run
JimBob said:
You don't NEED downriggers.

You can jig for them! There is a bump in front of princess creek i've had luck in.

What jigs do you use? The same fore kokanee or something bigger. This subject has been on my radar as we are going camping in the Cascades this month.

J
JimBob
Pink Nordics, I've had luck with the same size for kokes.

C_Run
C_Run
JimBob said:
Pink Nordics, I've had luck with the same size for kokes.

Cool. I've got those in the tackle box. I expect to spend one day at Odell in August and will be doing some jigging practice no doubt.

J
JimBob
Have fun man, look for the bump in the lake in front of princess creek. I've had some good luck there.

Aervax
Aervax
Commenting based on successful Mack outings elsewhere this late in the year I have caught a lot more fish jigging than trolling. Jimbob's recommendation that you look for the bump, i.e. structure, is spot on. I have caught most of mine on humps in 80-150 feet of water during the summer. If you have a fishfinder you will see small groups of really big fish right on the bottom or close to it. Bouncing your jig in the muck to stir things up a little will sometimes bring the bite on. Using braid and a fluorocarbon leader to maximize hook setting power is critical at that depth with big fish. You really have to hit the big ones hard or they will clamp down on the line and let go after you bumpem. In this case big jigs and big spoons get the most attention. It does not hurt to tip your lure with a minnow tail or fillet. I use a 4" hammered chrome spoon, or a 3/4 ounce tube style jig. If you see them on the fish finder and they do not bite don't give up. Bug the hell out of them and you will eventually get a bite. The bite can be really subtle at that depth. They will clamp down on it and just sit there. I do not always feel the bite, just a sluggish mud stuck feeling when I start to pick it up. Slam the hook home at any variation in feel. I start a couple inches from the bottom and and jig hard to bring it up 3 or 4 feet. Try different cadence and patterns until you start getting bites. Most bites happen on the fall. Stay in contact with the jig as it falls. If it stops before the bottom just set the hook. If you miss them put right back there and do it again. Once one hits and misses you can frequently get them to hit again right away. Let me know how it goes. I have been eyeing Odell for a while intending to revisit my laketrout fishing roots.

Reactions: C_Run
C_Run
C_Run
A big thanks to Arevax and JimBob for their advice. Big lake, little guy in a kayak and I wouldn't have known where to start.

f8ZvJA0.jpg

The kokanee were there in abundance but absolutely would not bite. I let a gibbs jig down to 75' where I saw a school of kokes, clicked the bail on my spinning reel and before I could start jigging had this 24" mac on the line. It fought like a Chinook, lots of pulling and pulling and pulling but I just loosened my drag and let it do what it wanted. I had 10 lb. braid and 6 lb. leader so it took awhile to tire him out. Roughly 24". I had marked out 30 " on my paddle and it looked to fall short by about 6 ". Thanks again guys- my first mac. on Aug. 8th.

The reason for the lip gripper was that I was trying to go netless on the kokes to see how that would go but needed a contingency plan in the event of catching a big fish. I was able to tether him to the yak while my wife came over for the picture and then unhooked him without a lot of handling.

Last edited:
J
JimBob
Congrats!

J
Jimbow
Way to go! Looks like a perfect day on the water. Yesterday we had 18" whitecaps by noon. But there's something about Kokanee fillets that make it all worthwhile.

Aervax
Aervax
You have inspired me to go out and try my luck for Oregon Macks now. Nice job on nailing it on your first time in pursuit!

C_Run
C_Run
Jimbow said:
Way to go! Looks like a perfect day on the water. Yesterday we had 18" whitecaps by noon. But there's something about Kokanee fillets that make it all worthwhile.

Whitecaps...yes. We spent two hours on Crescent Lake on the way home on Friday. Got there a bit late and caught a single koke before the lightning bolts started hitting the hillsides. After all the jet skis cleared out, we thought it might be a good idea to quit, too. Then Odell was all whitecaps when we passed by during that big storm. We saw a lot of poor folks headed up with campers and boats when we were going home.

The least little bit of wind really messes up jigging from a kayak because you can't paddle and jig at the same time. That's the latest thing I have learned. That picture of the fish was about 8:30 AM. It was windy by noon that day.

S
SOMCREW
C_Run said:
A big thanks to Arevax and JimBob for their advice. Big lake, little guy in a kayak and I wouldn't have known where to start.

f8ZvJA0.jpg

The kokanee were there in abundance but absolutely would not bite. I let a gibbs jig down to 75' where I saw a school of kokes, clicked the bail on my spinning reel and before I could start jigging had this 24" mac on the line. It fought like a Chinook, lots of pulling and pulling and pulling but I just loosened my drag and let it do what it wanted. I had 10 lb. braid and 6 lb. leader so it took awhile to tire him out. Roughly 24". I had marked out 30 " on my paddle and it looked to fall short by about 6 ". Thanks again guys- my first mac. on Aug. 8th.

The reason for the lip gripper was that I was trying to go netless on the kokes to see how that would go but needed a contingency plan in the event of catching a big fish. I was able to tether him to the yak while my wife came over for the picture and then unhooked him without a lot of handling.

This looks like a blast. Haven't been there since I was a kid with the grand-pops.. Need to get over there next spring!