Lures for steelhead and salmon fishing

U
Utahutes
Nee to steelhead and salmon fishing
Looking to purchase lures
What's everybody like to use mostly. Also what most common weight are you using for steelhead and salmon
Thanks

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

That question has multiple answers. Spoons like Little Cleo's are great for getting into pockets that otherwise can't often be reached. Spinners in size 4 or 5 are good for winter steel or fall nooks. Remember to fish them slowly, letting them "tick" the bottom every few seconds. Too many people retrieve spinners far too quickly. Blue Fox's are made in a variety of color.

I highly recommend using the search enging; and scour our archived threads. You'll find LOTS of helpful details there.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Admin
Admin
Blue Fox number 5 is my champ for winters.

U
Utahutes
Anatoliy said:
Blue Fox number 5 is my champ for winters.
#5 equivalent to 3/8 oz. ?

troutdude
troutdude
From Cabela's site--

Size on the left, with weight on the right:
  • 0, 7/64 oz.
  • 1, 1/8 oz.
  • 2, 3/16 oz.
  • 3, 1/4 oz.
  • 4, 3/8 oz.
  • 5, 7/16 oz.
  • 6, 5/8 oz.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
You should purchase these books, they're loaded with information.
Spinner Fishing for Salmon, Steelhead and Trout by Jed Davis
Spoon Fishing for Steelhead by Bill Herzog

troutdude
troutdude
X 2 on those book suggestions!

R
Red Owl
I'm new as well. Those #5 spinners seem really big, I was thinking #3 would be about right. If you had to pick say 4-5 color patterns for summer steelhead, either spinner or spoon, what would make the list?
How do most of you fish spinners? If the current is strong I've just kept a tight line and let the current door swing them along, the current spins the blade, and I try to arrange things so the spinner swings in front of a rock, etc. On spoons I usually twitch them as I retrieve.
Treble or single hooks? Any dressing on hooks or just a bare hook? What color hooks?
I tied the line straight to the lure. Any variations on that?

troutdude
troutdude
Red Owl said:
I'm new as well. Those #5 spinners seem really big, I was thinking #3 would be about right. If you had to pick say 4-5 color patterns for summer steelhead, either spinner or spoon, what would make the list?
How do most of you fish spinners? If the current is strong I've just kept a tight line and let the current door swing them along, the current spins the blade, and I try to arrange things so the spinner swings in front of a rock, etc. On spoons I usually twitch them as I retrieve.
Treble or single hooks? Any dressing on hooks or just a bare hook? What color hooks?
I tied the line straight to the lure. Any variations on that?

I assumed that he was asking about Winter Steelhead fishing, since we are now into that season. With high water flows, you want larger OFFerings. Like sizes 4, 5, and even 6 in larger rivers. Size 3, or smaller, for winter conditions won't get your lures down into the strike zone.

Summer Steelhead fishing, is a different bailiwick. Size 3 is the largest that I use. But when water is low, and gin-clear, then size 1's are in order. Some fisherpeeps even use size zero.

Single hooks are always best--to help reduce fish mortality in those which need to be released. No "dressing" is added. Although you certainly could. And bronze in color.

Only rarely do I tie line, or leader, directly to a spinner or spoon. Instead I use snap swivels for fast changes, to different lures.

Get yourself a copy of this book, and you'll get up to speed super fast. It's our Bible of Spinner fishing, here in the PNW! And take a look at the color variations, which Jed has used (from his first Edition). The top six are essentially for summer, and the bottom ones for winter.

• Jed Davis book.jpg
  • Jed Davis color plates.jpg