Lures working yet?

Fred

In the fall I will fish Hagg lake and at times I can get 3 trout in 3 cast. This is unrelated but one time they were so active in the fall I was casting a black dry fly about 2 feet off from the bank and catching 10in+ trout and I could see them coming darting up because the water was jin clear. In the summer I almost never catch them on lures from shore, bet you can but I don't. In the spring I get a few. But fall seems to be the best time for throwing lures from the shore. My guess on why they are more active on lures from shore this time of the year Is because one I think they are stocked around this time and two they are coming up to the shallow and feeding getting ready for winter. Anyways has anybody been to Hagg and tried lures from the shore recently if so how was It I want to go try for myself in a couple of days.

troutdude

Fred;n614083 said:
two they are coming up to the shallow and feeding getting ready for winter.
What you're referring to there is a phenomenon known as "fall turnover". Essentially the summer time temperature and oxygen stratification disappears, with the cooler temperature and rainfall. When the lake stratifies, in the late spring / early summer, the trout will head down into the deeper water (which is cooler and has higher oxygen levels, than the upper levels of the lake). But that changes, again, in the Fall. So now the fish will be found cruising around, in the top layer of the lake. Turnover also triggers a feeding frenzy--as the fish need to fatten up before Ol' Man Winter comes along.

Good luck out there. Hagg is a great place.

Fred

troutdude;n614085 said:
What you're referring to there is a phenomenon known as "fall turnover". Essentially the summer time temperature and oxygen stratification disappears, with the cooler temperature and rainfall. When the lake stratifies, in the late spring / early summer, the trout will head down into the deeper water (which is cooler and has higher oxygen levels, than the upper levels of the lake). But that changes, again, in the Fall. So now the fish will be found cruising around, in the top layer of the lake. Turnover also triggers a feeding frenzy--as the fish need to fatten up before Ol' Man Winter comes along.

Well you just made my explanation look lame XD.

troutdude

Not tryin' to be a show OFF. Rather just help educate those, who may not know. It's a pretty neat phenomenon. Which actually gets a WHOLE LOT more in-depth, than what I shared (nice punny...huh...lol).

I've never fished Hagg, in the Fall. But am hoping to get up there soon. Tossing spoons and spinners is fun, when the bite is on.

Happy trails and tight lines...

hobster

troutdude;n614085 said:

:thumb::whs: :thumb:

Fred

troutdude;n614728 said:
Fred Have you been out to Hagg? If so how did you do?
Yeah i went twice caught a ton of them at boat ramp A. We only caught one on a lure the rest were on yellow power bait eggs.

troutdude

Excellent! Congrats.

How long was your leader, to float your power eggs OFF of the bottom?

troutdude

Cool. Thanks for replying. I always start out, with 4'. Then adjust accordingly, until I find the proverbial "zone". Glad you had some fun, with your pops.

Top Bottom