Lure tape

K
Kelkay
Alright, I am reading Jed's book. He is speaking of lure tape. After reading this, I think I will try it, and on the inside of the blade. However the Osborne No. 155 Revolving Punch is ridiculously expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative that will make a circle cut, only one size, that will fit most of my blades? Also what type of lure tape will be best, and not come off when wet for extended periods of time?

J
JeannaJigs
scissors or an x-acto knife ;) and all the tapes fall off after use for a while, so i wouldn't spend too much money on fancy tape.

J
Jacks Tackle
Vinyl lure tape will stick to blades very well with out coming off. Make sure the blade is clean and free from grease or oil, ie: finger prints. Oxidation on brass or copper blades will also cause the tape to lift.

However, cheap blades often come with a very cheap thin layer of lacquer that will come off very easy taking the tape with it. Avoid these blades. Good lacquer will not come up easily. Especially if it is a DTM lacquer and not over thinned.

RB

Troutski
Troutski
Kelkay said:
Alright, I am reading Jed's book. He is speaking of lure tape. After reading this, I think I will try it, and on the inside of the blade. However the Osborne No. 155 Revolving Punch is ridiculously expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative that will make a circle cut, only one size, that will fit most of my blades? Also what type of lure tape will be best, and not come off when wet for extended periods of time?

I use paper punches from a craft store, I came into contact with them by way of the ex doing scrap booking, you would be surprised on number the shapes available. I use one that is the Japaneses symbol for "Lucky", you have to keep the blade and receiver clean and clear of the glue...I use WD-40; it is a solvent so it kick's the carp out of the glue.

Chuck

K
Kelkay
Wow, what a wealth of info on this site! Thanks everyone. As far as the tape thing goes, it might be good to epoxy the tape on, if it is a big deal to stay. Then again, it would be much simpler to just cut another piece, and stick it on. I appreciate all the answers!!

N
ninja2010
Kelkay said:
Then again, it would be much simpler to just cut another piece, and stick it on. I appreciate all the answers!!

yup... when i used to fish spinners, i'd tie up a bunch and cut up different colored tape and take them with me to the water. after taking water temp, i'd select the color i want and stick it to the blade and start fishing. i can change colors as needed...

K
Kelkay
That is a good idea, as it seems that does work for the type of fishing you do with salmon, and steelhead. Bass can go after any color. What works at one lake may not work as well as another. So I guess I had better order different colors of lure tape. At least 3-4. I finished the spinner making chapter in Jed's book. It was very interesting to read.

M
Mike123
Can the fish tell if it's cut in a perfect circle or not? lol.
I just cut rectangles. Caught quite a few fish on them. :)

K
Kelkay
Thanks again for the comments. I will keep the cheaper punch in mind if I decide to go that route. As far as rectangles go, I think it is a personal preference. Someone mentioned the hobby cutters for scrapbooking. I will look at them. If I don't like that I can upgrade to what Rick showed. I know the fish don't really care, but I do.

C
CoastieFlo
Your spinner is going around really fast........do u think a fish can tell in that split second whether or not the lure tape is round or square shaped?? Concentrate on other things, like being able to read water better or more accurate casting.......dont sweat the small stuff.