Lure Set up

J
joesnuffy
What is the setup you all use for fishing lures for steelhead?

lure to line?

line to swivel to leader to lure?

line to sinker to swivel to leader to lure?

Thought I might give it a try later in the year but thought I'd hear some suggestions first. thanks!

F
Fishtopher
As far as spinners go, previous to yesterday, I would usually tie directly to mainline, unless fishing fast deep water, in which case I would tie on a weight on a 8 inch dropper, and 2-2 1/2 feet of leader.

My thought process with spinners involved worrying about losing a certain spinner that I payed 3-4 dollars for, so I would use heavier leader or tie to my 30# mainline braid, or just not fish the spinner effectively by being over protective of it.

Now that I spend $10 for 45 spinners instead of $45 for 10:dance:, I will fish them without remorse, tied to 2-3ft of 10lb Ultra Green, with new 12# mainline for my spinner reel.

See if I can't get me some more hook-ups like that...

J
joesnuffy
so you use a dropper sinker instead of one in-line?

anybody have some photos of different setups?

O
osmosis
I like to use a black #7 swivel a forearm (18") away from a spinner, same with spoons.

Troutski
Troutski
Flow...

Flow...

I may be old school but I use a ballbearing swivel in line. 8# main line and then a swivel, from the swivel 6# to the lure. Depth is dictated by water volume and lure weight.

Chuck

J
joesnuffy
6# leader? your really into playing the fish huh? sweet.

Troutski
Troutski
Samll fish...

Samll fish...

joesnuffy said:
6# leader? your really into playing the fish huh? sweet.

We don't get very large fish in my area, the large ones must stay up north. 15# is considered a very large fish down here.

Chuck

J
joesnuffy
Troutski said:
We don't get very large fish in my area, the large ones must stay up north. 15# is considered a very large fish down here.

Chuck

LOL, that's bigger then we get over here on the east side and I'm consided insane using 10#

Troutski
Troutski
Unknown...

Unknown...

joesnuffy said:
LOL, that's bigger then we get over here on the east side and I'm consided insane using 10#

I guess if you don't know any better - it works fine ;) I think when I first started fishing we would catch Trout using 4# line and once in a while the accidental Steelhead would slam the lure and it was a fight to the shore line. After loosing a few on 4# I upgraded to 6# and never looked back. One does learn very quickly how to adjust drag ;).

Chuck

O
osmosis
we use #6 and #8 leaders on the clack too for steelhead. but usually #10 mainline for the times we're using the #8. The clack is pretty much a boulder field with water flowing over the top so we need the extra abrasion resistance.

sometimes even the little #3-4 lb clackamas fish can break #6 when they "side plane" themselves in heavy current.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Joe....when I'm pulling a plug like a hotshot or wiggle wart from the driftboat I tie straight to my main line 12lbs test. When I'm casting spoons or spinners I go to a barrel swivel and 18" of 8lbs test leader. Same test leader I use on the fly rod. For spoons I really like Steelies they are just a lot of fun to cast.

F
fish_4_all
Up here it is 12# test to a swivel directly to the spinner. No leaders for the most part. Some do but most that don't outfish the ones that do.

Of course up here were are delaing with some larger rivers and a lot of heavy water most of the time. The only time we go down from 12# is for summers and then only in slow clear water. At times it takes 6# test and a good trout rod to get them to bite up here in the summer.

C
chunk_style
I use 20lb braid, to a swivel to leader, usually 10lb flouro or 12 lb mono. I use 8lb flouro or mono in summer, or exceptionally clear water. Although, I have landed chinook from clear water with my green braid tied directly to the spinner. no shyness there!

F
fish_4_all
Well I forgot there are those that use braided with a leader here but the two I know that do it use 30lb mono leaders with 50lb. braid. I think they are afraid to lose a fish or a lure. But then again they don't hook fish when I am down there so I don't know if they actually do catch fish.:think:

J
joesnuffy
I'm kinda switching subjects here but what about retrival speed and lure depth?

How far off the bottom do you want to be and how fast should it be moving?

F
fish_on!!!
I go with the main to swivel to lure so I can switch up the lure quick and if I need more weight I clamp on A lead bullet 2 feet up or so.

F
fish_on!!!
Edit : Lure=spinner/spoons

F
FishSchooler
With my baitcaster, I tie on a reversed snap swiv, so I can add weight to spinner that is too light to cast. You could do that fishtopher.

C
chunk_style
fish_4_all said:
Well I forgot there are those that use braided with a leader here but the two I know that do it use 30lb mono leaders with 50lb. braid. I think they are afraid to lose a fish or a lure. But then again they don't hook fish when I am down there so I don't know if they actually do catch fish.:think:

That is a pretty massive setup!:shock: Are they fishing for submarines?:lol:
I got a steal on a HUGE spool of 20lb spiderwire, so it's my got-to mainline for steel and salmon in rivers. And I love the casting distance it gives me. Wind of any kind plays hell with knot tying though, and if it snarls, there's no point in trying to salvage it, just cut and re-tie!

Troutski
Troutski
10% of the anglers...

10% of the anglers...

fish_4_all said:

10% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish.... do you know who said that ?

Chuck

the guy with the full tag...