Lure fishing

U
Utahutes
Was thing about casting distancei and fast current. Thinking of adding small weight on my swivel 24 inch above lure. Speaking of 1/8 -- 1/4 max weight. Any one else do this in these situations. Heard it could affect action of lures. I dont think it will being away from lures. Looking for any pro or cons on the matter.

DOKF
DOKF
It will complicate the casting action a little, but the retrieve should be minimally affected. Same as adding a bit of weight to a trolled lure.

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Adding weight above lure of any weight at any distance will alter its action. Even large/heavy swivels can tighten or reduce action (line to line knots are more useful).

However if you're using something like an inline spinner or spoon, where there isn't much/any erratic action, you can use weights and swivels (for spinners definitely use swivels). Just keep them at least 3 feet above the lure, so fish don't get too suspicious.

So its all about the type of lure, but if you are having trouble in current, it also depends on where you cast, how quickly you pick up the slack, and how you have positioned yourself along the bank. Fishing on the point of the inside of a bend, you get good swing distance. The opposite is true for when fishing the outside of the bend. If fishing deep water and fast current, cast at a further angle from the middle upstream, and don't pick up the slack right away (keep rod tip up). If the current is fast enough, within seconds your line will already be tight (now slowly bring your tip down to add quick depth), and now to get deeper you can just inch the line through your fingers.

U
Utahutes
Mostly use panther Martin and roostertail. Some spoons.di you think it would affect kastmaster lures. They cast really well just wondering about depth. I mostly fish mountain streams so no need for weight their. I was just wondering on bigger rivers m kenzie. Umpqua.

Troutski
Troutski
Utahutes said:
Mostly use panther Martin and roostertail. Some spoons.di you think it would affect kastmaster lures. They cast really well just wondering about depth. I mostly fish mountain streams so no need for weight their. I was just wondering on bigger rivers m kenzie. Umpqua.
In my experience as a lure angler for most of my life is "if you are not loosing lures you are not fishing deep enough.
Now that being said, learning to spin fish for Trout, Steelhead and Salmon takes time and effort.. nothing will make you a better angler than practice. I feel if you need to practice you should do it on the water. Learning how to read the water so you know where to cast is paramount to be successful along with retrieve speed. I started making my own lures when I first started, spinners and spoons. After awhile I became rather good at it, and the price per unit dropped like a rock. Pennies per unit makes it easier to swallow the loss of a .18 lure on your first cast and second and so on than a $7.00 one.
Keep trying it will get better I assure you.

Tight Lines

Chuck