Luckiamute Smallies

J
Johnny Southpaw
Hit up the Luckiamute just off Buena Vista Rd. on Sunday for some bronzeback action. Was my first time on that river and it was a blast! Fish were super aggressive and the water was perfect-hooked into 25-30 all together, average fish about 6-8 inches with a couple at 12-13. Caught fish on Rebel Crawdad, Rebel Pop-R and 4" plastic Zoom worms. Had a buddy's 'toon to get around in, so I was able to cover lots of water. Gotta love how those smallies fight-and the top-water action is hard to beat as far as excitement goes. Can't wait to get out there again...

Last edited by a moderator:
F
FishSchooler
Insane close up fish jump picture! Never seen one done like that before!

J
jeffcycles
Congrats! You even managed to sneak a Largemouth in with them smallies! :clap:

T
TTFishon
Nice smallies. I always wondered how the fishing was in that River.

J
Johnny Southpaw
jeffcycles said:
Congrats! You even managed to sneak a Largemouth in with them smallies! :clap:

Which picture are you talking about? Pretty sure they're all smallies; although a few had red eyes, which means a smallie/rock bass hybrid??? Or a spotted? Don't think any were largemouth however.

R
ryguy
bank access

bank access

Hey johnny was there any bank access around there?

T
TTFishon
They all look like smallies to me.

J
Johnny Southpaw
ryguy said:
Hey johnny was there any bank access around there?

There're a few spots on either side of the bridge on Buena Vista Rd., and they're decent but other than that I saw no bank access. Wading not really an option either because that stretch of the river is surprisingly deep in most areas.

If you had a little boat or float tube even you would be in the money:dance::dance:. The current is so slow you can paddle upstream no problem.

R
RIVERFISHER
how far from eugene is this place?

J
jeffcycles
Johnny Southpaw said:
Which picture are you talking about? Pretty sure they're all smallies; although a few had red eyes, which means a smallie/rock bass hybrid??? Or a spotted? Don't think any were largemouth however.

#5 could very well be a river largemouth. The back is slightly greener, and the tail isn't as sharp and defined as a smallmouth. It could be either, but it isn't clearly defined as one or the other.

T
TTFishon
jeffcycles said:
#5 could very well be a river largemouth. The back is slightly greener, and the tail isn't as sharp and defined as a smallmouth. It could be either, but it isn't clearly defined as one or the other.

I think it's the lighting. It looks just like the other ones to me.

J
Johnny Southpaw
RIVERFISHER said:
how far from eugene is this place?

It's about a 20 min. drive from South Corvallis, so I'm guessing about an hour and half or so from Eugene. The nice thing is that you're pretty much guaranteed to catch fish:D:D. They may not be huge (although I just know there are some pretty nice fish in there) but they're there in mass and they fight like hell. The chance to escape combat conditions and get out on the water is also a bonus!!

J
Johnny Southpaw
jeffcycles said:

Yeah #5 does look a little different; however if you look closely at it's mouth, the corner of it's jaw doesn't extend past the eye. Regardless of what it was it was fun to catch all the same:D

B
Bassdad54
Jeffcycles

Jeffcycles

Those are all smallies,#5 smallie Largemouth are in the river systme but none of those were

J
jleepga
Nice fish! Nothing like getting into a bunch of smallies! I have a little raft and the girlfriend lives in Corvallis so I'm out that way every once in a while, where is a good place to leave a car and throw the raft in that river? It looks like a good time.

J
Johnny Southpaw
jleepga said:
Nice fish! Nothing like getting into a bunch of smallies! I have a little raft and the girlfriend lives in Corvallis so I'm out that way every once in a while, where is a good place to leave a car and throw the raft in that river? It looks like a good time.

I'm going to try posting a Google Map link, but I've never done it so....

If you head North on Buena Vista Rd. off of Springhill Rd. you will come to a bridge about a mile or so from Springhill Rd. There's parking on the East shoulder just before the bridge, and I saw another car parked across the bridge on the East side of the road.

Google Maps

Last edited: