Lower Willie report, 9-2-12

bass
bass
Hey all,

The bass fishing was good again yesterday. I caught 20 bass, although I have to admit that it did take 10 1/2 hours. Really 9 hours since I did spend 1 1/2 hours not catch sturgeon :)

The bite started out great. The river as really calm and quiet as I started fishing around 7:30AM. I was trying to decide what to throw and for whatever reason I did not pick a topwater. Instead I tied on a white spinnerbait with gold willowleaf blades. I had not thrown a spinnerbait in the river before since I usually use them only in heavier cover. It ended up being a really good choice. I picked up 6 bass, mostly quality fish, in about 1.5 hours and missed a few other hits. I had that feeling that I had just what the bass wanted. Then tragedy struck. I tossed the spinnerbait against a rock wall and started slowly retrieving it when BAM a huge hit, giant swirl as I set the hook and popped the line (12lb test). I could not believe it. I checked my line and it was pretty frayed from dragging that spinnerbait over the rocks. I quickly looked in my box and did not have a second spinnerbait similar to the first. I tied on a much heavier willowleaf spinnerbait with silver blades but could not get a hit. After about 1/2 hour of casting practice I switched to sturgeon and anchored up for 1 1/2 hours. Nothing but some nibbles, probably from some trash fish. The day had gone from red hot to nothing. While sitting on anchor I did find a gold willowleaf spinnerbat and a white skirt (for the spinnerbait, not me).

After pulling anchor, I tried the spinnerbait for about 1/2 hour, but by then the spinnerbait bite was over. I then changed over to using the good old crayfish colored Hot Lips and the drop shot and had reasonably steady success. My favorite hump produced 4 fish, but the new hump (my new favorite) only produced one. I spent the afternoon exploring a bit as the river traffic grew and grew, picking up a bass here and there, but did a lot of fishing for not much catching. The boat traffic really picked up as the day went on. It was pretty crazy by evening.

The late afternoon/evening bite was good, although I did spend an extra half hour on the water trying to land my 20th fish. I lost three nice sized bass right at the boat and was started to feel like it was just not going to happen. However, eventually I landed a dink and called it done.

I will have to say that the fish are definitely feeding hard. Check out this guy. That is the tail of a pretty good sized something (maybe a sculpin) sticking out of his gullet, but he still felt like he had room for my crankbait.

RPteo.jpg

Here a few more photos of fish throughout the day.

lqak8.jpg

2nPKK.jpg

ZAGKX.jpg

Finally, here is my best on the day:

oRYfO.jpg

I did not weigh anything, but the fish in that last pic was the fattest smallmouth I have ever caught. I should have measured its girth. Overall it was another beautiful day on the water. The Willamette is really one gem of a bass fishery!

P.S. I also got to say hi to fellow OFF'er Drew who was fishing from the bank. I am always a bit surprised that I do not run into to more OFF'ers, when I am out.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Great report, Bass!

Yesterday I fished the Willie, too, but up above the Falls again near Rock Island. Landed 4 smallmouth again between 8:00am 10:30 am. All of them trolling crankbaits (crayfish imitations mostly). Did pick up one nice smallie on an original floater (rainbow trout lure). Seems like most of the smallies are about a pound or so where I'm fishing, with the larger ones about 1.5 lbs. I'll put in below the Falls next week at Cedar Park Island and see how that goes. I'd like to get into some 2 lb fish.

M
minnowmagnet
thanks a lot for all of your postings

thanks a lot for all of your postings

DSCN3312.jpg
I always enjoy reading your posts and it seems you are really doing well with the bass. I haven't been doing so hot with them, although I put in a lot of effort. Spinnerbaits and rapalas have produced for me but not in the numbers like you have been talking about. Maybe not having a FF on my kayak makes it harder. I tried drop-shotting too and haven't had a lot of luck. Thanks for sharing your info. Sturgeon are a great go to fish when I really need to actually catch something and the bite sure is slow right now. I even fished backwards the other day with the current going the totally wrong direction. I always catch a few, but it's harder right now.The wake-board boats have made anchoring in the kayak a little scary too lately. The sturgeon I have caught in the last few days are really healthy looking and like to jump. Maybe you could help me out with this bass situation sometime. Thanks again for you great posts!

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Bass,

When you're using the crankbait with a drop shot, is that a rig where you drill a tiny hole in the bill of the crank and run an 18" (or so) tag line down through it to a half ounce weight or so?

bass
bass
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It said:
Bass,

When you're using the crankbait with a drop shot, is that a rig where you drill a tiny hole in the bill of the crank and run an 18" (or so) tag line down through it to a half ounce weight or so?

Sorry, my post was not at all clear. I switch back and forth between a crankbait and a dropshot. When I get on a nice set of rocks I usually dust them off with the crankbait first. I try to keep kayak positioned in deeper water and cast shallower so that I am ticking rocks for a good bit of the retrieve. If I marked some deeper fish or had a few missed strikes I then go back over it with a dropshot. I usually fish the drop shot in 15-25' and the crankbait dives to 12-16' but I fish it from about 5' down to as deep as it will run. Sorry about the confusion on the rigging.

bass
bass
minnowmagnet said:
I always enjoy reading your posts and it seems you are really doing well with the bass. I haven't been doing so hot with them, although I put in a lot of effort. Spinnerbaits and rapalas have produced for me but not in the numbers like you have been talking about. Maybe not having a FF on my kayak makes it harder. I tried drop-shotting too and haven't had a lot of luck. Thanks for sharing your info. Sturgeon are a great go to fish when I really need to actually catch something and the bite sure is slow right now. I even fished backwards the other day with the current going the totally wrong direction. I always catch a few, but it's harder right now.The wake-board boats have made anchoring in the kayak a little scary too lately. The sturgeon I have caught in the last few days are really healthy looking and like to jump. Maybe you could help me out with this bass situation sometime. Thanks again for you great posts!

Perhaps you are not having as much success with the bass because you are fishing too shallow. I catch some shallow fish first thing in the morning (but even then it is always within a cast of deep water), but I am fishing on the bottom in 10-25' of water for most of the day. A FF really helps to locate structure, rockpiles, non-obvious points and rock formations. However, I do find some structure with the crankbait (by feel). This is definitely a slower way to find good spots. I also mark each good spot I find using the GPS on my FF. Given the tide influence, the change in water levels, etc I sometimes have a hard time re-finding a productive spot. I think that bass fishing without a FF would be tough. I think that now that I know the river better I could fish it without the FF, but learning it without the FF would take a long time. One other thought. Are you still usually launching at Sellwood? I am not sure what the river is like there, but up around George Rogers park there is rock everywhere. Perhaps the section of the river you are fishing just does not hold quite as many fish.

I agree that the sturgeon bite has been slow. Without much current I guess that either the fish are moving around a lot to feed or that they have moved to different areas to feed. I would be curious to find a study as to sturgeon's preferred foods by season. I have not seen very many jumpers around George Rogers. Not sure if the fish have moved or if they just do not jump as much this time of the year. I can't wait for the river to go up a bit and for the sturgeon fishing to pick back up!

With school starting for the kids my fishing time is likely going to take a nosedive. I will try to remember to drop you a line next time I am heading out. I will try to show you a few good spots up around the GR area if you are interested. Also, feel free to PM me if you are heading out and I will see if I can get free at the same time.

M
minnowmagnet
thanks, I would love a PM next time you are going and can meet you at GR if you want. I launch at Sellwood, Milwaulkee or the park by the train trestle in Lake Oswego (forgot the name) most of the time when fishing the Willy. I'll shoot you a PM next time as well. Good info again.

bass
bass
minnowmagnet said:
thanks, I would love a PM next time you are going and can meet you at GR if you want. I launch at Sellwood, Milwaulkee or the park by the train trestle in Lake Oswego (forgot the name) most of the time when fishing the Willy. I'll shoot you a PM next time as well. Good info again.

OK, sounds like a plan. FYI, you can launch at GR or if you are coming from the East side then you can launch at the Oak Grove ramp (45.416777,-122.654569 in Google maps). When the current is dead like it is now it is a short and easy paddle up to GR from the Oak Grove launch. It is about 1/2 way between Rivervilla park (near train trestle) and GR.