Low profile casting reel for salmon

P
plunkme
i want to get a new low profile casting reel... anyone have any suggestions? i was thinking about the chronarch which were on sale at joes i think pretty cheap... or the curado

A
ArcticAmoeba
Revo. Better drag, and way, way better magnets than the Curado. But if you are going to get something like that, it is mostly personal preference.

K
Kodiak
LOw Pro

LOw Pro

There is only one low profile reel for fishing salmon, Curado DSV. 12LBS of lifting drag, more than the Abu's, or other curados and chronarchs.

O
osmosis
uhh kodiak, the revo has something like 23lbs of drag... The curado is an overpriced shimano..
If anyone ever looks at buying a curado the stores will charge you $250 for it, when they are buying it for $120. Talk about screwing the customer for profit...

A
ArcticAmoeba
10.9 KG of drag force. Or roughly 24-ish pounds, on the S version... Their bottom of the line Revo. More than double the Curados. You crazy Shimano casting guys!:lol:

D
davep
casting reel

casting reel

If you are buget minded, the cabelas line can't be beat...for under $100.00 their are tons of choices and check the features agains shimano...you wont believe what you can get for the money...

C
cavdad45
osmosis said:
uhh kodiak, the revo has something like 23lbs of drag... The curado is an overpriced shimano..
If anyone ever looks at buying a curado the stores will charge you $250 for it, when they are buying it for $120. Talk about screwing the customer for profit...

If you ant to sell a Shimano, G Loomis, and other main brands, you as a retailer are required to sign a Minimum Price Agreement with the manufacturer. That prevents small retailers from getting under sold by big chain box stores. All retail Shimano Citicas sell for $119, whether its Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas, or BillyBob's Bait Store. Failure to fulfill contract obligations means you can no longer sell that product line.

BTW, the average mark-up to retail is less than 20%, not 100%. That $250 reel costs the retailer around $200-$220.

O
osmosis
umm, I just so happen to work in tackle manufacturing/resale and there is no such "minimum price agreement" that we've ever had to sign. We've dealt with every company you listed too..
Not sure who told you that theory..

A curado, costs me/all of us stores $121. you buy them for $250. Might want to recheck that "20% markup".
Citica's are more reasonably marked up since they cost us $84.

Last edited:
C
cavdad45
osmosis said:
umm, I just so happen to work in tackle manufacturing/resale and there is no such "minimum price agreement" that we've ever had to sign. We've dealt with every company you listed too..

A curado, costs me/all of us stores $121. you buy them for $250. Might want to recheck that "20% markup".

Which company would that be?

B
BobberDown
osmosis said:

osmosis you are 100% rite on thaton the standerd mark up is 40% to 100% or more i love the curados my self i use the 201e7 they are awsome i have landed nooks in the 40s with them i think they retail for 160 but i dont know i did not buy them shimano gave them to me i have nottryed the revo but i would love to give them a shot but i think it come down to prefrance just like you sed have a good day guys

O
osmosis
Where I work is independant of the matter at hand, subject being: you were posting something about the tackle industry that I've never heard of.
If I worked at fishermens marine or joes, it would be the same thing I'm telling now, I know folks that work there.. What does it matter to you where I work? Is it that hard for you to believe we in the tackle industry are making money off of you? That is what keeps our lights on and our doors open.

Yeah bobberdown we'll run into eachother on the river eventually and I'll let you use my revo for a little bit. Great little reel. The curado's are a good reel, I'm just extremely impressed with my revo's.

Last edited:
B
BobberDown
that sounds good i here the revo is a grate reel if i like it i may have to get one i am always looking for the best gear out there
thank Dan

K
Kodiak
Minimu..:lol:..minim..:lol:..min..:lol::lol::lol:...Okay done laughing now. Oh wait...:lol::lol:. Ok better. The only minimum pricing I know of is what the manufacturer is willing to sell for. Telling retailers they can only charge a certain price isn't minimum pricing its called "Price Fixing". That was taken care of in this country by the Davis Beacon act. I can suggest a retail price and generally the retailer will follow my recomendation if they agree with the marketing strategy and product placement. There are companies that offer bulk pricing, three tier pricing, etc. Usually the larger the distrobution the retailer offers the better the price break and increased profitabilty and thier ability to sell less expensively and still pay the bills.

P
plunkme
anyways back to the title of the subject... :rolleyes: i was looking at the revos does anyone have a preference between the S series and the SX Series? the SX Series is like 60$ different but is it worth that much of a difference, 80$ different with mail in rebates any opinions on these two?

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have shot some gear out of Osmosis's S series Revo, and it really feels good, but he says the STX is not as good...yet. Maybe they take a little time to break in, or whatever, but I know he likes the S version.