Lost Lake Mt Hood

O
OnTheFly
It’s been awhile since I’ve made the trip to fish Lost Lake. I know I know….there are many Lost Lakes but this is the one on the east slope of Mt Hood. I get there over Lolo Pass out of Welches but you can get there through Hood River and Parkdale as well. The last time I was there, I kid you not, it was trout on every cast. The best luck I had was at the far end opposite the day use boat ramp. Head for the ‘rock slide’ at the northwest end then troll along that entire side about 30 to 50 ft. from the bank. Spinners probably work good but #10 olive and black streamer patterns work the best i.e. wooly buggers trolled slow subsurface. Apparently there are brown trout and kokanee in the lake as well but I have yet to catch any. If you are a fly fisherman you should try to be there during the Hexagenia hatch or big yellow mayfly. These are among the largest mayflies at over 1” long! Look for these around the 4th of July. There is camping and a store. The only bummer about the place is that you pay a fee at the gate then another one for day use but on a glorious day of fishing in the mountains it’s worth it:cool:.

Last edited:
E
eggs
Just don't get blown down to the end of the lake... it is one hell of a row out in the wind!

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Eggs, I forgot that you were somewhat of an authority on Lost Lake from fishing there frequently throughout your life with your parents. Tell us the story about the monster brown trout you caught in the shallows over by the trail privy near the rock slide area. You don't have to admit using powerbait.....

E
eggs
No expert... just hold the lake record.... used a wedding ring tipped with worms soaked in a power bait slurry overnight... rigged down to about 45' over by the rocks

H
halibuthitman
eggs said:
No expert... just hold the lake record.... used a wedding ring tipped with worms soaked in a power bait slurry overnight... rigged down to about 45' over by the rocks
and I bet you were wearing a pair of purple Prince parachute pants and a silk shirt.. admit it.. anyway don't forget the terestrials on a windy day, black ant fished on oor just below the surface works well when no hatch is apparent, or you lose your last wedding ring and powerbait set-up-

E
eggs
Yea in all honestly I haven't had a ton of luck the few times I was there.. but I did hook into something that was pulling the little row boat around before the 4lbs mono broke..

Irishrover
Irishrover
Eggs are you sure it wasn't an SEC championship ring and not a wedding ring? That is a nice little lake I've only made that Hex hatch one time. It was worth it. HHM you are right on, terestrials never leave home with out them!

B
bigsteel
Im lost,wheres lost lake????we should have a silk shirt get together