Lakes Lost Lake Fishing Reports

DOKF

DOKF

My son and I hit Lost Lake near Elsie in the Nehalem River watershed 3 times in the last month. Mostly paddling around dragging leech patterns, but also occasionally tossing out various dry flies. And just for grins, also tossing out a panther martin to break the pattern.

The first time out, nothing on the leeches, lots of fingerlings keyed on the dries (PMD, BWO, Caddis, indicator yarn, line ripples, ...), a 22" brood recycled, and a 20" keeper trophy trout both on the panther martin (sorry, no pics, you'll have to take my word for it). The 20" trout put up a vigorous fight with at least 4 runs on a light rod, while the brooder was just a dead weight pulled in. Very different look in the two fish; the trophy was a typical fat young trout with a defined torpedo shaped head, while the brood stock was long and skinny with a large mouth and head. We let the brooder go gently, but kept the trophy (destined for the grill).

The first outing must have been a teaser day, as subsequent return trips only provided aggressive fingerling action. I was hoping cooler weather would energize more keepers, but either too early for the lake to turn or it has been fished out? Couldn't possibly be the angler's capability!