Lost Creek Lake again

D
doublestrike
Monday: I launched at 8:00am and I was the first and only one there, the water and wind were calm, 48 degrees air temp, and 46.2 water temp. I motored out from the marina and set up the starboard downrigger at 15 feet, attached my Shuttle Hawk, and set up my pole. 10 lb test mono, Vance's Gold dodger with fish scales, 9 inch leader with a red wedding ring with a black single octopus hook. Then I pinched off a 3/4 inch piece of nightcrawler and put it on the hook. I let out 72 feet of line and hooked to the clip and down to 13 feet. I turned around and got my other downrigger and before I could get it in the base --- Fish On! I had hoped for a Chinook as that was why I was using red, however it was a 12 inch Rainbow. Back in it went. I reset the pole again and got busy setting the port side downrigger. This time I made it as far as getting the ball hooked on and when I went to get my other Shuttle Hawk...Fish ON again! It was another 12 inch Rainbow. Back he went too. I got my port side setup on and down to 25 feet. I put on another Vance's Gold Dodger with fish scales and a Copper/Pink Vance's #2 spoon, again with a small chunk of nightcrawler. I let it out and hooked it up to the clip and only got it down about 15 feet and Fish On! This was a riot. Just hook them up and get them in the water, sometimes not even getting the bait all the way out, and getting bit. They were all about 12 to 13 inch Rainbows, great fun to catch, but I wanted something a little bigger, and a few of the baby Chinook. Amazing that when you want to catch them you can't and.... ....well you know that story. After about an hour and a half of catch and release, I got one about 16 inches and put it in the live well, then I got one of the targeted Chinook and it was about 12 inches and in the live well it went. Then I put 3 more Rainbows in the live well and that finished the limit. The weather stayed overcast but no rain and no wind. All in all a perfect fishing day. I pulled in my starboard stuff and put it away and tried some deep water trolling along the old river channel at 140 feet. I've got to get some more cable to get to the bottom at 280 feet. I know there are some bigger fish down there. One of these days I will catch a big one from down there. At about 12:05 I went to the dock, and guess who, the Sheriff's patrol was there and I got my boat inspected and my new 2010 sticker. What a great day!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice report!! what the biggest chinook you got out of there ? Also how far up from Payton Bridge can u go in the boat? Its been so long since iv fished lost creek from a boat.

N
nwkiller
nice work man, thanks for the report

T
TTFishon
Great report. Looks like you had a great time out on the water. Thanks for sharing.

D
doublestrike
Throbbit _Shane said:
Nice report!! what the biggest chinook you got out of there ? Also how far up from Payton Bridge can u go in the boat? Its been so long since iv fished lost creek from a boat.

The Lake is FULL and usually you can go up past the Split ( South Fork/North Fork) in the North fork about 2 miles, but there is a point about 1 mile up where the water temperature changes drastically. it will change about 12 to 15 degrees, and I usually don't fish above the temp change. Last year I was up there and the water was quite murky, and I didn't catch anything till I got back down by the "Falls".

So far the biggest Chinook has been 14 inches about 2006.

N
Ntofishing
Just went to Lost Creek yesterday afternoon. I caught 7 all together 1 trout (with parasites) and 6 small mouth. A buddy and I fished at the spill way, the water was somewhat clear until some swimmers started jumping in then the clarity went south. All in all it was a great day to be on the lake.

T
todd
u still fish there when theres a out break of that algee

N
Ntofishing
It doesn't seem to effect the fish biting in my opinion. I just don't jump in the lake and throw the fish back.

D
doublestrike
Report: Lost Creek Lake , October 22, 2010. We arrived at the launch a little early. It was really dark.
So we took the bra off the front of the boat unhooked the strap, and slowly made our way down the ramp and launched in the dark.
I lit the heater, and primed the trolling motor as Ron worked his way back from parking the truck. I got my poles put together and got out Vances' Gold dodgers to start.
On one I put a gold Triple teaser, with about 9" of leader, on the other a yellow (chartreuse) wedding ring and a very small piece of night crawler. On the first rod I added about 3/4 OZ
weight and on the other I pur a 1OZ weight. I have been useing the rubber, center twist on weights about 16 to 18 inches above the dodger and watching the action beside the boat before letting them out.
We started trolling right out of the marina as we planned to go down and work the edge of the flats between the island and the eastern shore.
I got one pole out and set and then started letting the other out and whamo, I got hooked up. It was a real good tussle and Put a nice 15 incher in the ice chest.
Ron got the downrigger set at 8 feet and his other pole out and he hooked into a nice one too again about 15 inches. Boy, what a great start, and we are only out of the marina 500 feet.
We turned around and worked back through that area and got one more small (11") one which we put back to grow some more, and made our way around the point and headed towards the island.
Nothing for about 20 minutes and as we neared the edge of the flats I get another one and this time there was a lot of pole bending, line taking and woo-hoo-ing. I have learned to
use a very light drag setting and work these 'fall fish' a lot more. I finally get her close to the boat and Ron gets her in the net. His cooler is 16" inside and it was a
little longer than the cooler is wide. Wow, nice and clean and very healthy. We worked the area between the flats and the island all morning and continued to put 14" to 16 " fish
in the cooler and throwing back any that were smaller (which were quite a few), I love fall fishing. On one pass through the area we were about to make a turn and go back through,
when my pole with 1OZ weight went off and I grabbed it and started reeling, then Ron's downrigger pole hooked up, then his other pole went off so he hooked the downrigger pole good and started winding in the other one.
Then my 3/4 OZ pole went off and we were saddled with a quadruple. Things got frantic for a bit as we worked the fish in. We got so busy with the fish we almost ran up on the bank, but at the last minute
we got the boat turned and back into the deeper water. We really scrambled there for a little bit. It reminded me of a Chinese fire drill.
When we started the day It sprinkled a little for about an hour and by 8:30 it had quit raining and we were in for a gorgeous sunrise. The rest of the morning was broken clouds and sun, and by 10:00 we were peeling off the outer layers.
We finished up about 12:30 and cleaned the fish at the cleaning station. There was only one other trailer in the parking lot, and we had seen only one other boat on the lake, fishing. The water temp was 58 to 59 degrees all day.

T
Throbbit _Shane
sounds like a good day of fishin!

H
Hawk
Y'all done reel good bro's.

Great Job.
:clap::clap::clap:
:D:D:D
:cool:

D
doublestrike
rainy day at the lake

rainy day at the lake

Steve arrived at my house in a downpour, at 5:57 and we decided we could find a better day to go fishing. Then about 8:10 I woke up to sunshine and clearing skies, called Steve and we were on again. Launched about 9:15 and met mike b at the ramp. He was getting to know his new to him boat. We ran down towards the island and threw our stuff in at the edge of the old river channel. My grandson Caleb was first to score with a willow leaf troll and purple powerbait. I had run the planer boards out to get a good spread, and then sent a gold Vance's dodger with a gold triple teaser and a 'little' bait on it out towards the planer board, then I put on another Vance's gold dodger on and a chartreuse wedding ring with a 'little' bait on it and a 3/4 oz weight on my other pole. Steve had on his Panther Martin lake troll with purple powerbait. Steve was next to get hit and reeled in a fairly nice 14 incher but he was somewhat scared up where the skin parasites had been. The water temp was 55.3 most everywhere we fished and there is still some algae in the water. There were a couple of times when the sun popped through the clouds, but mostly overcast and some intense rain squalls. We caught about a bucket load of fish but threw them back to be caught again another day. The catch ratio between the triple teaser and wedding ring was a little lopsided with the wedding ring about 2 to 1. I brought in the t/t and put on a copper/pink Sockeye Slammer in UV and a little bait and sent it out on the planer board line. That seemed to even the catch ratio up. This was the first "U/V" lure I have used and I will give it a few more tries. Worked good for me. Things slowed about 1:30, so we headed for the dock and loaded up and came home.

W
waco
doublestrike said:
Steve arrived at my house in a downpour, at 5:57 and we decided we could find a better day to go fishing. Then about 8:10 I woke up to sunshine and clearing skies, called Steve and we were on again. Launched about 9:15 and met mike b at the ramp. He was getting to know his new to him boat. We ran down towards the island and threw our stuff in at the edge of the old river channel. My grandson Caleb was first to score with a willow leaf troll and purple powerbait. I had run the planer boards out to get a good spread, and then sent a gold Vance's dodger with a gold triple teaser and a 'little' bait on it out towards the planer board, then I put on another Vance's gold dodger on and a chartreuse wedding ring with a 'little' bait on it and a 3/4 oz weight on my other pole. Steve had on his Panther Martin lake troll with purple powerbait. Steve was next to get hit and reeled in a fairly nice 14 incher but he was somewhat scared up where the skin parasites had been. The water temp was 55.3 most everywhere we fished and there is still some algae in the water. There were a couple of times when the sun popped through the clouds, but mostly overcast and some intense rain squalls. We caught about a bucket load of fish but threw them back to be caught again another day. The catch ratio between the triple teaser and wedding ring was a little lopsided with the wedding ring about 2 to 1. I brought in the t/t and put on a copper/pink Sockeye Slammer in UV and a little bait and sent it out on the planer board line. That seemed to even the catch ratio up. This was the first "U/V" lure I have used and I will give it a few more tries. Worked good for me. Things slowed about 1:30, so we headed for the dock and loaded up and came home.
Thanks for the report!! never use any UV stuff so i guess i should start using it!!!

O
ol tymer
I have heard a lot about using planer boards but have never seen one in action. Would you be willing to pm me and give me advice on what type of equipment to get and the planer board 101, i.e., how to rig it up, etc. Sure appreciate it. Thanks. Ol Tymer

B
beaverfan

D
doublestrike
Steve had to work the Home Show till noon, but very shortly after, there he
was backing up to the boat, we launched at the marina at a little after 1:00
and got our stuff in real quick. Steve set up the planer boards started
letting them out, while I was getting my poles ready. There was a lot of
new debris in the water right there in the marina and out to about
mid-lake. Some really big stuff too. We trolled down towards the island
and worked the usual (winter ) areas between the island and the flats. We
marked a few fish but no bites, very slow! finally at about 3:30 we got