Looks Like Another Good Spring Run (predicted)

S
Swamp Puppy
300k plus with 104k or so heading for the Willy... Heck, even i might be able to catch some fish this year. :)

R
RunWithSasquatch
Yeah I am ready, Ill be up in portland in 4 weeks to get warmed up, even though there was over 5 reported the last 2 days. Not bad catch for the few boats that were out. Willy falls counts should start soon.

S
Swamp Puppy
My understanding is the fish bound for the Willy run up the MC versus the Main Columbia as a general rule which is cool because that is where i fish most of the time. I may try to get out this week (slim possibility) or next week (very good possibility)

R
RunWithSasquatch
I have heard a lot of opinions on this, I dont know if there is any fact on where, why the fish travel, or percentage. Ive heard a lot of people speak that on high water years more scent goes down the Willy to the columbia drawing fish to the mouth of the willy, and low water years the scent is strongest down the MC. Fish are caught in good numbers in both places each year. It all sounds fun to me.

B
beaverfan
Swamp Puppy said:
My understanding is the fish bound for the Willy run up the MC versus the Main Columbia as a general rule which is cool because that is where i fish most of the time. I may try to get out this week (slim possibility) or next week (very good possibility)

I'm pretty sure your correct although I'm sure some go up the Columbia to the mouth of the Willy. Salmon can smell there home river when there is only one drop per 500 gallons or something like that so they know where there headed once they've gone a few miles into the Columbia. I would also imagine that the further you got inland on the Columbia the closer to the Oregon shore the Willy Springers travel.

S
Swamp Puppy
Pretty much all the fishing in my stretch of the river is done on the oregon side for springers and the washington side of the channel for the fall run. It gets a little "fun" sometimes between the bankies and the boaters off of Sand Island in St Helens as the boaters are anchored in right off shore...sometimes in closer than the bankies want to cast. I fish both ways, so i am compassionate to the plight of both sides, though i feel the boaters should probably give way to the bankies if possible since you have more options in a boat. I've had guys drop anchor and back bounce right over (or sometimes even UNDER) our lines when we are set up on the bank.

As a general guideline i like to fish the main river when i can, but spring weather blows (literally) and a lot of times the main river is just too rough for my flat bottom sled to fish out of comfortably...hitting the MC is a great alternative for me on those days so i get pretty stoked at the thought of a good Willy run.

brandon4455
brandon4455
man i can't wait. time to get some plunking gear!!

M
Moe
not to hijack this thread or anything, can springers be caught at meldrum? If so it looks like I will be doing my first springer trip ever this saturday over at meldrum.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Yes you can, meldrum is a popular place to plunk.

C
CoastieFlo
100K in the willamette eh? cool........the hillbillys at Waterloo should have a good year lol

R
RunWithSasquatch
CoastieFlo said:
100K in the willamette eh? cool........the hillbillys at Waterloo should have a good year lol

pffffff hahaha

N
n8r1
By popular, you must mean cars lined up side by side along the bank, poles in holders jammed into the ground every 6 feet, and plenty of "joe bankers" who are experts in the method of shore plunking, readily tell you what to do, but never seem to actually catch a fish?

(I've been to the Meldrum Bar twice to check it out and that's been my experience both times)

RunWithSasquatch said:
Yes you can, meldrum is a popular place to plunk.

J
JeannaJigs
CoastieFlo said:

Hells yeah man.

wait...I fished waterloo last year, what are you saying?!

(is no hillbilly. Does not drift fish. Runs ginormous quad salmon jigs and eggs under a float).