Lookout reservoir

J
joeyota
I went to lookout today. I couldn't even find fish on the finder( there were some but few and far between). I have no clue where they would be. Fished mostly down by the dam, and we hooked one and it got off about 20ft behind the boat. No worries though it was just a we little one. The water was pretty choppy at the launch on the way out but not to bad on the way in.

Hit Dexter on the way home same story, Just not as cold down there.

Joe

Troutski
Troutski
Saw you....

Saw you....

joeyota said:
I went to lookout today. I couldn't even find fish on the finder( there were some but few and far between). I have no clue where they would be. Fished mostly down by the dam, and we hooked one and it got off about 20ft behind the boat. No worries though it was just a we little one. The water was pretty choppy at the launch on the way out but not to bad on the way in.

Hit Dexter on the way home same story, Just not as cold down there.

Joe

I saw you on Dexter today...looked like you were having a good time. Your craft look very cool ripping across that lake :cool:, very cool. Sure made me smile, Lookout Point is a tough lake to negotiate. Very large body of water and tons of structure, when the lake gets cloudy like it is now the farther back towards the mouth of the Willy you get the cleaner the water will be. Try the feeder creeks that feed the lake from the Hwy 58 shore line. When the water starts to green up the Chinook will be on the hunt...they can be a hand full when you catch a nice one. Very sharp teeth...

Chuck

J
joeyota
Troutski said:
I saw you on Dexter today...looked like you were having a good time. Your craft look very cool ripping across that lake :cool:, very cool. Sure made me smile, Lookout Point is a tough lake to negotiate. Very large body of water and tons of structure, when the lake gets cloudy like it is now the farther back towards the mouth of the Willy you get the cleaner the water will be. Try the feeder creeks that feed the lake from the Hwy 58 shore line. When the water starts to green up the Chinook will be on the hunt...they can be a hand full when you catch a nice one. Very sharp teeth...

Chuck

You sure it was me I was not alone, there was another boat out there about the same size as mine. I didn't have my top up. Sharp teeth you say. Does that mean I need special leader or I 6lb good?

Joe

Troutski
Troutski
"You sure it was me I was not alone, there was another boat out there about the same size as mine. I didn't have my top up. Sharp teeth you say. Does that mean I need special leader or I 6lb good?"

Sorry I only saw one boat...none the less it look cool.
I use ten pound fluorocarbon trolling for the fresh water Chinook, I must say that you know when you have a hit...its not like "hey, was that a hit?" Your rod will go down and stay down and pump just like there larger salt water versions. Would check the leader after each fish for nicks and frays...

Chuck

B
bd2cool
I agree with Troutski, go up the lake the water will be clearer. With me I have found that around the dam I do get mostly Rainbows-some nice size ones- on the upper end I get both rainbows and Chinook.
When the Chinook are feeding they seems to hit almost any thing in the water but I use mostly worms or worms on wedding ring. Of course that also works for trout.
Small to medium size spoon and Meps spinner have been good to me up there.

I hit the dam when the boat ramp by the dam is working and the water is around 50 degrees and up. There is some good early morning summer fishing there.

I am trying to go out on Tuesday morning up to the flats on the upper end.-I have high hopes!
I also have high hopes that my hair is growing back!:lol:

J
joeyota
Gonna give it another try tomorow. Wish me luck.

Troutski
Troutski
Luck...

Luck...

joeyota said:
Gonna give it another try tomorow. Wish me luck.

Good luck, dress warm and stay dry...I am going on Sunday, save a few fish for me.

Chuck

B
bd2cool
Good Luck!:D

I just set up a fishing trip with my brother in law for Thursday.
We will be trying the upped end at the flats.
I am thinking that bottom fishing with smelly bait will be the way to go.

Unless the water is some how by magic clear up then we will trying some trolling action.

J
joeyota
had a couple of hits but nothing more. I shall try again another day.

B
bd2cool
Which end was you at?
Trolling or bait fishing?

J
joeyota
bd2cool said:
Which end was you at?
Trolling or bait fishing?

I started up river I don't know if I was at the place you call the flats or not. I got into 15-20 ft of water and turned around trolled with rapalas all the way back to the boat ramp. I am not sure why I was trolling with rapalas. It has only worked for me a couple of times. I will try using regular trolling gear next time.

I am not sure how much faith to put in my fish finder. I am not really seeing a hole lot of fish on it even. Should it be picking up fish or are they just scarce right now?

We did have a good time on the water. A friend of mine and his little girl tagged along with my son and I. The kids seem to like a good boat ride even though they get a little board with the trolling part of it.

B
bd2cool
Hi joeyota,

Glad that you had a good time on the water.
What my friends and I are calling the flat is where you go pass Goodman creek,around the bend, you will hit where the river ends and the lake starts.
You notice on the highway 58 side the bank are quite flat,also where the rive end and the lake start filling the bottom here will be quite flat.

What kind of fish finder do you have?

Unless you ping a school of fish the hits that you get will seen like that far apart.
Fish will move away from you boat as you move across the water.
I let out my line 65 feet and more behind my boat to give the fish a chance to move back into place.

Unless the water is clearer then what is was when I was there last trolling might noe be the best option right now.
Thursday we are to anchor right where the lake start and try bottom fishing with some worms,powerbait, and shrimp-and anything else that smell that I can find in the house.

I wonder if they would hit on a pair on old socks?:)

C
CaptKirk
Hi guys,

Where are you putting in at? Are you using the ramp on the north shore up by the old county park or the one on 58 at the upper end of the lake?

B
bd2cool
I am using the one at mile post 6 on the north shore road.
The one at Hampton is close right now-the water is too low.

Last edited:
C
CaptKirk
bd2cool said:
I put in at the ramp on Highway 58 side.

I have not fished Lookout to much even though it is in my backyard :) A local oldtimer told me this last summer that they used to find a school of Kokanee up around the Goodman Creek area. Anyone here able to confirm if there still some in there?

Kirk

B
bd2cool
There are no Kokes in LookOut. I was calling them Kokes for years but they landlocked Chinook Salmon.
Last year I had great luck fishing from Hampton. That was before I got my boat and the water was lower.
When I was trolling last Friday I did explore Goodman creek but I didn't see any school on the fish finder.They could have been just of range but my friend hits them pretty good there when the lake is full.