Lookout Point Lake (Res?) 12-4-21

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Absolute blast on the water yesterday. Met a friend of mine with a bass boat and tried our best to catch some smallmouth.

I have absolutely no experience freshwater fishing anything that deep, never seen anything like it, 20' from the bank and 50' of water (photo below)

Tried a rattletrap, chatterbait, dropshot, but everything came off a Ned rig. I ended the day with 4 smallmouth and one decent sized trout on a TRD

Would have been a great time to try blade baits, I'll definitely be picking some up after that. Wish I had some spoons with me

We did see one dying bait, almost looked like a shad but about 2" long, no idea what it was? Are there non migratory schools of shad?

Weatherman have lost their minds, winds were expected to be 7mph with gusts of 15 from SSW. Most of the day ended up being absolutely dead still
4bb17855fe074529ec64ec0d7d3a601f.jpg
d9be4a181ba47b61346650b6bbf6560c.jpg
3cafab39fbe267844a3f274fbb64cffc.jpg
b749522fac5e4ecfbbd8ec72a33fef0f.jpg
5705b1851f9c74c47cced586bf65d1f9.jpg
6dccdc3154da9ccc44e01620159b19d4.jpg
43184824e4246608a27c8f40ecb5ba8d.jpg
92e15d72bcaa020b5d66127d4784bbbc.jpg
9dcbbd7cafda8845b26eeba52dc7eaae.jpg

Reactions: bass
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I guess your only options for 50 fow in FL would be a sinkhole or a phosphate pit. Me personally, I like deep water fishing a lot. Deep water bites can be nice and consistent compared with skinny water bites. I got my pb lm out of deep water.

Looks like y’all had a good time.

Last edited:
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Shaun Solomon said:
I really, really wish you could have scooped up that baitfish. [emoji23] My suspicion is that it was a juvenile crappie. They seem to be a key forage out there from what little I have to go on. A ton of fish I have caught regurgitate them at any rate, including trout.

I guess your only options for 50 fow in FL would be a sinkhole or a phosphate pit. Me personally, I like deep water fishing a lot. Deep water bites can be nice and consistent compared with skinny water bites. I got my pb lm out of deep water.

Looks like y’all had a good time.
We were joking all day about netting the dang thing [emoji23] could definitely have been one, right size. Most of the fish in Ford's pond puke them up as well, usually scaled

It's definitely something I've never done in Florida with freshwater baits only jigging offshore with hair jigs or vertical jigs

Gotta be fish down there, sidescan or livescope would eliminate a lot of water, there's a lot of great cover out there

DOKF
DOKF
No sign of walleye?

Reactions: Snopro
Vintageflyguy
Vintageflyguy
nice report - seems more like spring but that will change

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
Nice looking fish. Seems like 90% of the smb I catch are on a Ned rig. Based on your picture, how did you manage to launch that boat?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
DOKF said:
No sign of walleye?
We knew they were in there but didn't particularly fish for them, next time for sure

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
fromthelogo said:
Nice looking fish. Seems like 90% of the smb I catch are on a Ned rig. Based on your picture, how did you manage to launch that boat?
I don't think the ramp is completely dried up, but there is a lot of sand/mud at the bottom, likely runoff from the rest of the ramp and freshly exposed bank, but I think there's still a little more concrete down there

The truck was a square body 7.3 powerstroke, manual trans with 4x4, doesn't get much better!

troutdude
troutdude
Very nice. Those are great lookin' smallies! I got introduced to fresh stillwater fishing last spring and summer. A co-worker fishes for NOTHING but bass (primarily smallies), has a great boat, and is terrific and funny guy. In fact just this morning we started planning for next spring!

Ain't it great fun?!!!

Reactions: fromthelogo
troutdude
troutdude
troutdude said:
Very nice. Those are great lookin' smallies! I got introduced to fresh stillwater fishing last spring and summer. A co-worker fishes for NOTHING but bass (primarily smallies), has a great boat, and is terrific and funny guy. In fact just this morning we started planning for next spring!

Ain't it great fun?!!!

P.S. I had only fished in streams, for bass, prior to last season. But it didn't take me long to adapt!