LookOut Point Lake Boat Ramp

M
mikeredding
You will want to go up on the Hwy 58 side and keep an eye out for where the water starts to change from lake to river. There are quite a few places to park along side the Hwy. You may have to walk up or down stream depending. There are even a couple places where you can drive across the Railroad tracks. You should be in the area of a long strait stretch of Hwy and a big grassy meadow hill across the lake. It may be a challenge actually climbing down to the water but should be pretty easy going once you get down there.
Spinners work well, bright colored Rooster Tails such as neon pink or orange.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

S
SDK
Thanks mike- I just looked on Google Maps and am pretty sure I spotted the exact location. I'll have a variety of spinners/roooster tails and may bring an extra pole with a bubble and some flies.

I'll let you know how I do!

Scott

G
grampa ron
Lookout Point

Lookout Point

Lookout Point Lake is the biggest lake in Oregon and probably the most under fished. I believe there are some very large fish in there. I caught a 5 lb. trout and a trophy sized Squaw fish 24" or better. I thought I had one of the landlocked Salmon on. There are Walley and good Crappie also.

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
I have NEVER caught anything in dexter other than a squawfish (? think that's what it was called? I looked it up when I got home, UGLY fish, didn't look like it would be good eating, so I let it go, found out they deplete trout and salmon populations and are supposed to be retained, oops?) Maybe I'm just not fishing it right, but I've trolled all over that lake many, many times because it's close in and gas prices have been sucky. I've thrown everything I've got at those fish, and they just don't want it.

I ate a pikeminnow(squawfish) once and it tasted kind of like bass tastes. It wasn't bad.

B
Bfishin
I've tried a bite of once too. It didn't taste bad to me. I met a guy who spears them in the Willamette and smokes them. They pretty much eat what trout eat I think.

T
Thuggin4Life
grampa ron said:
Lookout Point Lake is the biggest lake in Oregon and probably the most under fished. I believe there are some very large fish in there. I caught a 5 lb. trout and a trophy sized Squaw fish 24" or better. I thought I had one of the landlocked Salmon on. There are Walley and good Crappie also.

So what's the story on the walleye at lookout? Read a register guard article about them like a year ago but no real info.

B
bd2cool
WHERE'S WALLEYE?
Publication: The Register-Guard (Eugene, OR)
Date: Tuesday, February 26 2008

Byline: Mike Stahlberg The Register-Guard

DEXTER - The walleye watch is on again in the upper Willamette Basin.

The predatory, non-native member of the perch family has surfaced in Lookout Point Lake and immediately downstream in Dexter Lake, according to state and federal fisheries

While prized by anglers in many parts of the United States as a game fish, walleye would not be a welcome addition to the upper Willamette watershed, where its toothsome presence would pose yet another threat to endangered spring chinook salmon.

Previous walleye scares in the Middle Fork Willamette River system involved a few isolated fish found downstream of Dexter Dam in the early 1990s. This time, there is evidence that walleye have gained a more substantial fin-hold in the two lakes upstream.

From mid-November through the end of January, nine walleye - each measuring nine to 10 inches in length - showed up in a rotary fish trap the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) maintains a couple hundred yards downstream from Lookout Point Dam.

M
mikeredding
Very interesting.

J
JeannaJigs
This is not good.

M
mikeredding
JeannaJigs said:
This is not good.

No, not really. Although I have always wanted to catch a Walleye. If they take hold and we are able to catch them I will roll with it. It's not my fault they got there but I can do my part to remove them.:D:D

T
TTFishon
Pretty soon they will have a bounty on them too. Oh wait a minute, it's a sport fish. Never mind.

M
mikeredding
TTFishon said:
Pretty soon they will have a bounty on them too. Oh wait a minute, it's a sport fish. Never mind.

But if they are not native will they be considered a sport fish?:think:

T
TTFishon
mikeredding said:
But if they are not native will they be considered a sport fish?:think:

Largemouth and smallmouth are considered sport fish here. They are not native.

Troutski
Troutski
Zebra mussel..

Zebra mussel..

Rather have Walleyes than "Zebra Mussels". At least Walleye are fun to catch and rather tasty for a shore lunch;). With the Crappie population Lookout Point has it would surprise me if the fish population doesn't explode. They are a very successful predator to say the least.
Now this is just my opinion as an angler not as a moderator...

Chuck

T
TTFishon
Troutski said:
Rather have Walleyes than "Zebra Mussels". At least Walleye are fun to catch and rather tasty for a shore lunch;). With the Crappie population Lookout Point has it would surprise me if the fish population doesn't explode. They are a very successful predator to say the least.
Now this is just my opinion as an angler not as a moderator...

Chuck

I'd rather have walleye than zebra mussels too. I think zebra mussels are inevitable due to peoples ignorance and laziness. I think there should be some kind of wash station at every boat ramp where people can thoroughly wash their boats and flush their motors. I think it's a matter of time no matter what though.

B
bd2cool
I will be trying LookOut tomorrow morning. I am taking out my new (to me) 15 Tri-Hull.
I been working on it the last three weeks getting her ready.

C
cavdad45
Interesting! I can understand the need to protect the flowing watersheds, but why is the state so against walleye in reservoirs? Besides walleye and salmoides do not use the same parts of the water column as walleye are usually belly-flat on the bottom and rarely move more than a foot off bottom. Trout, salmon, and others of their family are usually suspending fish.

The state is also aware from their own studies on the Columbia that walleye account for less than 1% of salmon mortalities in the river system and that number is unusually high because most of the salmon smolts ingested by walleye are those believed to have been injured by the turbines of the dams.

I'm not for backyard or bucket biology, but I would really appreciate more walleye opportunities in this state. Especially since the cost of last Friday's fillets were more than $200/lb. How about a few nice walleye lakes?