LookOut Point Lake Boat Ramp

B
bd2cool
Air Temp at 7:45 28 degrees
Air Temp at 12:30 39 degrees.
Water Temp 38 on the upper end and 40 degrees down by mile post 4.
Sunny with a light breeze

I went up to LookOut Point this morning and found the boat ramp in good shape.
It has been clean down the water line so launching and recovery was no problem.
The dock has been removed for the season.
There not a lot of debris in the water but some and the water looks better.
Not clear but not as murky.

I had two hits on the upper end by the flats using wedding ring and worm,two hits on the lower end,one by the boat ramp on a spoon and one by mile post 4 on a Meps spinner.
I miss all 4 strikes.:(

I left at 12:30 so I could also troll Dexter for 2 hours-what a change!
Cold and fog! I wish I just stay in the sun at LookOut.
No hits at Dexter,water is still murky.

H
Hawk
Bro, do you get wet when you put your boat in the water & take her out of the water?

When the water is freezing i wear my chest waders to launch & recover my boat on the trailer............................:D:D:D

B
bd2cool
My wife got me a pair of Cabela's Three Forks Insulated Lug-Sole Hip Wader for Christmas. I love these thing,my feet stay warmer even when I in the water.
Before Christmas I dreaded the cold water-now just as long as I don't trip I am a happy camper!
If I do trip in the water and fall-I bet I can teach you some new words!:)

H
Hawk
bd2cool said:
My wife got me a pair of Cabela's Three Forks Insulated Lug-Sole Hip Wader for Christmas. I love these thing,my feet stay warmer even when I in the water.
Before Christmas I dreaded the cold water-now just as long as I don't trip I am a happy camper!
If I do trip in the water and fall-I bet I can teach you some new words!:)

:lol::lol::lol:

Those hip waders sound nice & warm........................:cool:...............................Right ON Bro.........................:D:D:D

B
bd2cool
Thanks, My Explorer is going the shop on Monday for some transmission work,If I can get it back in time I am thinking of hitting LookOut again on Tuesday. I didn't land any but there was some big ones showing on the fish finder.
I thinking that if I anchor at the flats and try to bounce some bait off the bottom that might work.
The water is at 15 to 25 feet at the flats on highway 58 side, and the fish are holding deep.
On the north shore side the water is around 6 to 13 feet deep but I didn't see as many fish on the finder.

M
mikeredding
I used to fish Lookout quite a bit. There are a lot of big fish on the upper end. They can be very hard to catch though.

J
JeannaJigs
I have NEVER caught anything in dexter other than a squawfish (? think that's what it was called? I looked it up when I got home, UGLY fish, didn't look like it would be good eating, so I let it go, found out they deplete trout and salmon populations and are supposed to be retained, oops?) Maybe I'm just not fishing it right, but I've trolled all over that lake many, many times because it's close in and gas prices have been sucky. I've thrown everything I've got at those fish, and they just don't want it.

M
mikeredding
JeannaJigs said:
I have NEVER caught anything in dexter other than a squawfish (? think that's what it was called? I looked it up when I got home, UGLY fish, didn't look like it would be good eating, so I let it go, found out they deplete trout and salmon populations and are supposed to be retained, oops?) Maybe I'm just not fishing it right, but I've trolled all over that lake many, many times because it's close in and gas prices have been sucky. I've thrown everything I've got at those fish, and they just don't want it.

Are you referring to Dexter Res. or Lookout Point Res? Lookout Point is above Dexter and has great fishing for trout and kokes.

J
JeannaJigs
mikeredding said:
Are you referring to Dexter Res. or Lookout Point Res? Lookout Point is above Dexter and has great fishing for trout and kokes.
I was referring to Dexter. Dexter and I are not compadres. Lookout point has awesome fishing, I haven't been up there in a few years but it's always been good.

M
mikeredding
JeannaJigs said:
I was referring to Dexter. Dexter and I are not compadres. Lookout point has awesome fishing, I haven't been up there in a few years but it's always been good.

OK, Just wondering. I used to fish the upper end just as it slacks. Lots of kokes and big bows.

J
JeannaJigs
mikeredding said:
OK, Just wondering. I used to fish the upper end just as it slacks. Lots of kokes and big bows.
for the longest time I had no clue that there were kokes in there, and I was migrating all the way up to O'Dell for 'em....150 miles round trip...to fish a lake that sucks after about 10 am when the wind picks up almost like clockwork, it's rare that it doesn't...which is not awesome in a small ghetto aluminum boat. The fishing has always been amazing up there...but again a long distance. It was like christmas the first time I pulled some kokes out of lookout, they're fun little fish to catch..and it's way closer to home.

M
mikeredding
JeannaJigs said:
for the longest time I had no clue that there were kokes in there, and I was migrating all the way up to O'Dell for 'em....150 miles round trip...to fish a lake that sucks after about 10 am when the wind picks up almost like clockwork, it's rare that it doesn't...which is not awesome in a small ghetto aluminum boat. The fishing has always been amazing up there...but again a long distance. It was like christmas the first time I pulled some kokes out of lookout, they're fun little fish to catch..and it's way closer to home.

I was born and raised on the North Fork of the Willamette and the kokes migrated right in front of my house to spawn. Amazing thing to see!

I know about the wind on Odell. I have been blown from one end to other on more than one occasion!!:shock:

G
GrillMaster
Nfmf?

Nfmf?

mikeredding said:
I was born and raised on the North Fork of the Willamette and the kokes migrated right in front of my house to spawn. Amazing thing to see!

I know about the wind on Odell. I have been blown from one end to other on more than one occasion!!:shock:

Would that be the North Fork of the Middle fork? I use to fish that years ago and it wasn't bad if you went up stream quite a bit. I haven't fished it in years, is it still worth while?

GM

M
mikeredding
GrillMaster said:
Would that be the North Fork of the Middle fork? I use to fish that years ago and it wasn't bad if you went up stream quite a bit. I haven't fished it in years, is it still worth while?

GM

Yes North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette:)

M
mikeredding
Ok everyone, I was informed this morning by the ODFW that there are no longer Kokanee in Lookout Point but there are now Chinook. You are allowed to harvest them under 24" and they are considered part of the 5 Trout daily limit.

J
JeannaJigs
mikeredding said:
Ok everyone, I was informed this morning by the ODFW that there are no longer Kokanee in Lookout Point but there are now Chinook. You are allowed to harvest them under 24" and they are considered part of the 5 Trout daily limit.
What?! I know in the past there had been chinook in there, and I believe at one point there were chinook dumped into Hills Creek as well. Landlocked chinook is just an odd concept.

No kokes is very sad :(

I was thinking about getting my boat ready to go up there in the next few weeks, but lack of gas funds is proving to be an issue, so it's gonna have to wait for a while I think.

M
mikeredding
The ODFW said that they have not put Kokes in there for about 20 years now, only Chinook and yes they are putting them into Hills Creek Res. also.

J
JeannaJigs
I pulled some out of there about 4 years ago, maybe it's been longer. definitely wasn't 20 years ago haha I'm only 24. I don't know a whole lot about the life cycle of kokes. I don't know if they could sustain themselves in there or not, perhaps they can, I do not know.

M
mikeredding
Good question. That is one that I asked the ODFW today. They said probably not. They also said they have netted in the last 6-8 years and no Kokes were caught therefore they do not believe that anymore existed. I don't know. I guess we just need to fish it and see for ourselves.

S
SDK
Any good bank spots up at Lookout or Dexter? I'm thinking about heading up tomorrow morning to poke around for some trout.