Lookng for some fishing buddies

S
sako2019
Hi all i am new to Eugene and new to steelheading. I have fished a bit for salmon when we lived in Portland on the sandy and Columbia. I just bought a setup for steelhead and would love it if someone would show me the ropes. I can offer beer, breakfast, shuttle driving, kayak lessons, help building your fence, dirty jokes, some appropriate and often creative swearing. Also I am a firefighter so if you catch fire i will most likely put you out. Lets catch some fish or at least tell our wives we're catching fish. Thanks Sako

D
DYJ
I'm in Springfield, I like beer, breakfast, dirty jokes and creative swearing. I also have a fence to build before summer is over and once I even set myself on fire..... I don't have a boat and I'm not even really sure I know the "ropes" good enough to show someone else. But I do bank fish a lot and I'm planning on headin out tomorrow morning bright and early. Just not sure exactly where, I'm kinda waiting to hear back from a buddy at this point. If I let him decide where we fish then I can blame him if we don't catch anything....

F
flipper
I'm hoping to hit the McKenzie again tomorrow (early) morning. Maybe I'll see you two out there! :)

T
Thuggin4Life
tow my boat to tthe coast and i can fill the cooler with bear and the boat wwith gas for fall chinook

D
DYJ
How big of a boat? We have a newer Xterra with a hitch and I've towed a rockcrawler Jeep on a flatbed many many many many miles so I'm no newb to towing

Flipper, you heading to below the damn?

F
flipper
DYJ -

Yep, just bank fishing. Figure I'll start around Greenwood. I'm still pretty "green" on fishing the McKenzie ;)

D
DYJ
I'll be up in that area too. Leaving the house around 4am, hoping to star tout below the dam and then work my way down river stopping @ Greenwood and then to Deerhorn. My buddy got stuck helpin set up a wedding with his girl so I will be solo. I fish with a yellow backpack for all my gear, say hi if ya see me.

Derrick

F
flipper
I certainly will keep an eye out for you! I didn't plan on going any further up because I figured you couldn't fish close to the dam. Assuming my assumption is incorrect?

D
DYJ
No, you right. Greenwood Landing is the area to fish below the dam. (Down Hatchery Road). There is also Greenwood road below that. When I said Greenwood I meant Greenwood road.

T
Thuggin4Life
I have a 12' welded western with a 15hp merc. I take it salmon fishing on the columbia with warnings of 40mph wind gust and the slaw with severe weather warnings and 50mph wind gust predicted. just ask jigs. can't even feal it behind my 5.2L jeep. seats 3 but prefere to fish with just 2 for speed and room. has a marine stereo so you dont miss the football games, hidden cooler for bear and fish, running lights and cabin lights, gps/fish finder, and a bildge pump. completely rebuilt it from the ground up last summer.

F
flipper
Although I am new to steelhead/salmon fishing, sounds like you have a nice setup Thuggin! My bro and I are looking to fish the Siuslaw this fall for chinook...if you're ever looking for a tow, and we're planning to go out, my bro has a truck with a hitch.

D
DYJ
Same here, thuggin.... I'll tow it over and chase some nooks next month! Just PM me

F
flipper
DYJ said:
I fish with a yellow backpack for all my gear, say hi if ya see me.

Derrick

BTW, Look for a guy out there with a black hoodie and a Duck hat on..that'll be me. Good luck out there tomorrow morning :)

S
sako2019
Hey thanks for the info. I have a Tacoma and can tow about 5k. I am gonna try and get out sunday. Good luck out there everybody.

F
flipper
Late post, but got skunked for my first attempt at steelhead last weekend.

I first went to Greenwood boat landing and as usual saw tons of really big fish jumping in the hole up-river. Quite a few people, about 8 were fishing there. Decided to take off and fish somewhere else downriver but met a really nice guy that (I think his name was Bill) took me over Leaburg dam and showed me a popular spot for steelhead. I really wish I could have spent more time with him, but had to take off early due to a family brunch. He showed me the egg loop knot, which was awesome.

Right before I left though, he hooked into a HUGE brown trout, probably around the 28 inch mark. I've never seen a trout that big before, but he acted like it was nothing! I really wanted to take a picture of it on my iPhone but didn't want to be rude taking pictures of another person's fish.

Anyways, I'm headed back out tonight for a few hours of fishing. Most peoples advice is fish as much as you can to get a steelhead on the line..so I'll do just that :)

D
DYJ
where ya heading tonight?

F
flipper
Same place, below the dam. I'll probably just stick with spinners and fish for trout..if a steelhead takes notice..I won't complain :)

F
flipper
Gonna stop by Cabelas and grab a new rod and reel first. It's been long overdue for a new one.

M
MCKENZIE STEEL
I am a fellow firefighter, I live within 3 miles of Armitage so I fish the mckenzie a lot. I'm a big fan of beer,dirty jokes and wouldn't mind finding a new local fishing buddy. I'm doing buoy ten and winchester this weekend, but i usually hit the mckenzie after work several times a week(when the fish are running by). And there's nothing wrong with just hitting the river to learn the pools, spliting a half rack and catching a few bows

C
capblack
DYJ said:
I'm in Springfield, I like beer, breakfast, dirty jokes and creative swearing. I also have a fence to build before summer is over and once I even set myself on fire..... I don't have a boat and I'm not even really sure I know the "ropes" good enough to show someone else. But I do bank fish a lot and I'm planning on headin out tomorrow morning bright and early. Just not sure exactly where, I'm kinda waiting to hear back from a buddy at this point. If I let him decide where we fish then I can blame him if we don't catch anything....

i approve of this message!! oh and take thuggin to the coast, he will put you in the fish!! Brian