Looking to get into some Trout..

D
dud3r
Hey what's up OFF? Im looking to get out tomorrow and find some trout. I've never really fished for trout outside of the stockers in the closer lakes (north fork, hagg, salish, etc..,). With North Fork being closed I thought I would drive a little further out and try some other areas. Any recommendations? What im looking for is some big juicy hike. I don't mind a hike. Would prefer to have the option of keeping some. Right now im only carrying a pretty generic slip bobber setup. Should I grab some spinners?

Just looking for some tips on locations and maybe tackle. It'd be much appreciated. Maybe we could even meet up out there. Feel free to send a PM if you like. Thanks a lot. Good luck out there.

M
michigan_transplant
where do you live???

D
dud3r
Lol I guess that'd help. Im in Gresham, OR. Im more than willing to travel (drive, hike) though. Would like to get into some big'uns.

M
michigan_transplant
not real familiar with that area, sorry. maybe someone that is close by can chime in with some areas. when i get that urge i head out towards the coast. i live in corvallis and its about an hour drive to lakes out that way that carry some larger trout.

D
dud3r
Thanks for the replies. Care to mention any of those lakes. Im not familiar with area either but between gps and google maps I could probably work something out.

Troutski
Troutski
Middle Fork play ground

Middle Fork play ground

I can recommend Hills Creek and the Upper Willy for Trout action this time of the year, Fall time is awesome in the Mountains...
It is up Hwy 58 east of Oakridge a few hundred yards, the rive is open above the lake and below. The lake itself is open all year long...when the lake is at its lowest it is the anglers edge.
Bait is allowed in the body of the lake (see reg's) lures and flies are allowed in both the lake and main stay of the Middle Fork. The water coming out of the lake is open all year long to artificial flies and lures, catch and release. Quite a drive for you....they also just opened up Salmon Creek to all year access....it is getting harder and harder to find reasons to stay inside where it is warm and the Football runs all day long.
I do have a map of the lower section ...nothing special but it will give you a starting point.

Chuck