Looking for the impossible?

B
Billamicasr
I had my metals man create a rod holder bracket for my Outcast Pontoon which is proving to be the one of my best decisions (inventions) ever; it works excellent. With that in mind I have an unusual dilemma. I am using an 81/2' 2-piece Fenwick casting rod, designed for and has been used for Steelhead, but it is just too long to be used in the pontoon. I spent this afternoon visiting Bi-Mart, Dick's and Sportsman's looking for a 7' 1-piece rod that is rated for 8-15 pound test with a nice and soft tip and a strong butt. Actually, I'd like to have two rods; one just mentioned and another rated at 15 to 25 pound test again with a soft tip and strong butt, this one for salmon. So far I've found one that is labeled as a downrigger rod that costs just $30.00 which could work, but it is very heavy, has substandard guides and I'm not convinced a $30 rod is what I'm looking for.

I have a 7' Ugly Stick medium action Tiger rod (for sturgeon) PN# 01C14CM (very nice) that would be just about right with the exception the butt section is so large in diameter it won't fit into a Scotty Rod Holder. That and with the Newell 229-F reel, it is way too heavy for Steelhead or Salmon.

I found a 7' Ugly stick I liked at Dick's with a PN# 01A14CH. It felt decent, but as luck would have it a close look showed the blank was twisted with the guides not aligning. The next step will be a visit to Cabelas in Tigard to see if they have anything worthy.

I'm looking at a new rod that costs $75 to $150 with a sturgeon like soft tip (for backtrolling plugs) and a decidedly firm butt section so-as to be able to land a decent Steelhead/salmon. I'm looking for a one piece boat rod... Anything come to mind?

I am impatient to get this dialed in. Springers and summer run Steelies are in the rivers and I've got great drift fishing gear; but not necessarily great pontoon boat gear.

Any suggestions?

troutdude
troutdude
Recommended by Mike Laverty, in "Plug Fishing for Steelhead"...

Talon SHS 761
Fenwick LP76C
Loomis HS 9000 (if you want high end)

But, I'm not sure where you'd find any of those, other than eBay, Craigslist, etc.

B
Berg03
why is it to long? i have usually carry 2 8'6 and 1 9'6 on my toon. Have not had a problem with it...

B
Billamicasr
A bit difficult to explain without a photo. G&S Machine in Keizer made an aluminum adapter that goes between the two front foot braces to hold a Scotty rod holder on a Scotty extension; sounds hokey, until you see it. With an 8 1/2' rod at the proper angle (for pulling plugs) I'm looking up to watch the rod tip when back trolling. I'd like to see it lower, and do not mind experimenting.

My original problem was: How do I pull plugs effectively with my pontoon in the rivers? I tried mounting rod holders on the frame and the seat base, but they got in the way, either when rowing or when I wanted to tuck the oars back over the tubes to get out of the boat. My solution was a centered rod holder in front of me that is easily removed to exit the boat. Doesn't hamper rowing and with oar keepers and kick fins I can drop the oars, control the boat with kick fins, grab the rod and fight the fish. Testing in a slow river (the Willamette) says it is going to be a great solution, except I'd like the rod tip lower. I've trolled for trout in a pond with a 6 1/2' rod and it's perfect, 8 1/2' rod is too long. I'm guessing 7' would be fine.

I used 8' fiberglass rods for clients out of my drift boat for "Hot Shotting" back when backtrolling was called that. The soft tip of the 'glass rods allowed the plugs to work well and the slow action of the rod was just fine for the hot summer run Steelhead on the McKenzie; lived in Eugene back then. For me pulling plugs is about rod control, which in turn is based upon boat control. When the plugs are in the water I focus on the slow decent of the boat, staying in the channel or lane and watching the rod tip for plug action.

The difference being in a drift boat with the rod butt resting on the floor boards and me in the rowers seat, I had a great view of where I was going and could watch the rods at the same time; I'd like to duplicate that in the pontoon boat; a shorter rod will do that.

I'll post photos in a few days.

Last edited:
B
Billamicasr
I Googled all 3 rods Troutdude and found a thread at another forum, about the first two rods; the thread was from 2007. You are right... look for used.

Found the HS9000 in GL2 (spinning). I read the GL3 material makes a softer rod, but it doesn't seem to be available at this time. You are right there also, they are $190.00 more than I want to spend.

I'm off to visit Cabelas this after noon to go shake a few 7' to 7 1/2' rods; maybe something in fiberglass.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Loomis.jpg

B
Billamicasr
That's a great price on the rod. I'm really trying to go with a casting rod and don't think they are making that model in anything but spinning.
Thanks for thinking of me though.

I'm off to Cabelas in a few minutes.

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. Hope that you find, a good solution.

B
Billamicasr
Well, it was a pleasant but unrewarding drive to Cabelas; I did meet a very educated tackle department person who went out of his way to try and find me the right rod. He mentioned some of the Walleye specialty rods for bait fishing may fit the bill, but Cabelas didn't have much for me to try.

After Cabelas I re-visited Dick's to get the number OFF the Ugly Stick that had impressed me. Ugly Stick Elite USECA701M $49.95 and also suggested is Ugly Stick USCA701M $39.95. Armed with those numbers I tried to find something local at Bi-Mart, Wally World, Dick's; nothing. I tried several online sources, including Shakespear, Dicks & Cabelas all three stated shipping at $13 for both with an added fee of $12 per rod for oversize charge; $37 to get both cheap rods into my hands.

Then I remembered Sportsman's warehouse. They stock the $39.95 rod and will ship to store at no charge. The customer service agent at SW is looking into the possibility of a special order to be included with their next warehouse stocking to see if they can get me the other rod again with no cost shipping to the store; how thoughtful. This is something Cabelas and Dick's were not able to do, stating either rod would ship direct from the manufacturer.

Should have spent the day fishing...

B
Berg03
Billamicasr said:
A bit difficult to explain without a photo. G&S Machine in Keizer made an aluminum adapter that goes between the two front foot braces to hold a Scotty rod holder on a Scotty extension; sounds hokey, until you see it. With an 8 1/2' rod at the proper angle (for pulling plugs) I'm looking up to watch the rod tip when back trolling. I'd like to see it lower, and do not mind experimenting.

My original problem was: How do I pull plugs effectively with my pontoon in the rivers? I tried mounting rod holders on the frame and the seat base, but they got in the way, either when rowing or when I wanted to tuck the oars back over the tubes to get out of the boat. My solution was a centered rod holder in front of me that is easily removed to exit the boat. Doesn't hamper rowing and with oar keepers and kick fins I can drop the oars, control the boat with kick fins, grab the rod and fight the fish. Testing in a slow river (the Willamette) says it is going to be a great solution, except I'd like the rod tip lower. I've trolled for trout in a pond with a 6 1/2' rod and it's perfect, 8 1/2' rod is too long. I'm guessing 7' would be fine.

I used 8' fiberglass rods for clients out of my drift boat for "Hot Shotting" back when backtrolling was called that. The soft tip of the 'glass rods allowed the plugs to work well and the slow action of the rod was just fine for the hot summer run Steelhead on the McKenzie; lived in Eugene back then. For me pulling plugs is about rod control, which in turn is based upon boat control. When the plugs are in the water I focus on the slow decent of the boat, staying in the channel or lane and watching the rod tip for plug action.

The difference being in a drift boat with the rod butt resting on the floor boards and me in the rowers seat, I had a great view of where I was going and could watch the rods at the same time; I'd like to duplicate that in the pontoon boat; a shorter rod will do that.

I'll post photos in a few days.

i see what you mean. Okuma Dead eye series has some good rods all around 7 to 7'6 they have a heavy action fast tip rod that might do the trick for yea. GL finding what you need :)

1 nut in the water
FYI- Your local Bi Mart has access to many rods/reels if you are real nice and ask to see their catalog behind the counter......
They stock mostly cheapo stuff that sells but can order some much higher quality gear and their price is fantastic.

B
Billamicasr
Sportsman's Warehouse comes through... By this next Friday (maybe Monday) I should have both of the Ugly Stick rods ordered.
I'm off to the river with the long rod to see if I can intercept an anadromous fish as it passes by Salem; you never know until you try, plus I need the exercise.

Thanks for all the help folks.

my2labs
my2labs
temple fork outfitters. I bought one 2 years ago and now will buy them for all my gear rods. I fish the salmon steelhead models (loomis blanks, about $140) but they make others that are designed for your application.

I swear by them for gear rods. Others may not agree though....

Life people were more like dogs, I'd like a lot more of them.

my2labs
my2labs
I see I was a little late.

Life people were more like dogs, I'd like a lot more of them.

B
Billamicasr
As a self-admitted tackle junkie.. allow me to say you are never too late in recommending a good rod, lure, bait, etc. LOL!
I checked out TFO's website and they have several 7' rods labeled around the 8-15 pound range as a medium fast taper rod. Wish I could actually try one in person; I like the looks of their HOW special rods. Happy to see they are supporting Heroes On the Water.

Spent the day getting a bit of a sunburn on the Willamette today. What a beautiful day for a float. I'm working on perfecting my pontoon boat plug effort and I'm getting pretty good. Wish I could produce photos of all the fish I caught, but it didn't happen. This is one of those great fishing days, but not so much good catching days. It was still fun... I'm worn out.

Reminds me I read a piece asking the question: What happens when you party like there is no tomorrow and wake up with tomorrow happening?

B
Billamicasr
Thanks Scott, and welcome to the forum.
It's the thought that counts. You are right, I'm trying to stick to casting.
I'd actually forgotten WW Grigg. I haven't heard the name in a long while.

The link opened for me troutdude, browser could just be busy at the moment

ww Grigg.jpg

B
Billamicasr
Ordered the Ugly Stick rods on Monday and picked them up today (Thursday). The "Ship free to store" is a great feature of Sportsman's Warehouse. While I was in Sportsman's in Salem I was introduced to a Fenwick Eagle that came in yesterday to their store; so what I really have is three possibles.

The Eagle weighs about half of the Uglys weight. The Uglys are fiberglass/graphite, while the Fenwick Eagle is all graphite. The numbers are almost the same for all 3 rods; except the Eagle has a fast tip. The tip is just about as flexible between all 3-rods, it's just the fast tip enables it to return quicker; we'll see if or how it works for plugs.

Fenwick.jpg