Looking for some pointers

portlandrain
portlandrain
I'm having a problem. I can't catch anything but pond scum anywhere but Hagg! I go to Hagg about once a week recently hunting down the largemouth, usually fishing the S/SW side up into the creek arms from my kayak. I catch them every time i go. Today i caught 4 (one was a smallie) and hooked up 2 others that i lost! It was my best outing. I have caught them on senkos, spinnerbaits, jointed rapallas, and a crank bait. I'm having a great time at hagg.

My issue is i can't catch a damn thing anywhere else. I've been to McNary lake for at good 6 hours and the St. Louis ponds for a few more and not even a bite at either. I'm throwing the same lures, but I can't seem to interest the fish.

The things i notice are the water is much clearer at Hagg than the other two, so that must be playing a role, but I'm looking for some ideas and tips to catch fish in new water. Maybe I'm over looking things.

Thanks guys. And by the way, i appreciate the help thus far!

Y
youtalkintame
are water temperatures between the places you've gone drastically different?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

P
pinstriper
Other than water temperature, current, structure, localized species behavior, light, pH, oxygen, minerals and other dissolved particles, clorophyl, and different availability of prey and the timing of fly hatches, there's no reason to expect fish in one location to behave any different from those in another.

Oh, right - fishing pressure.

Y
youtalkintame
thanks for running the gamut pinstriped. I was just getting started. [emoji108]

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Success breeds success. You get 'em at Hagg because you got 'em at Hagg. You are familiar with the lake, have a history to draw upon, and are confident enough to maintain focus and execute your plan.

You need to quit going to Hagg if you want to experience that same success anywhere else.

Pick some other established spots and target them methodically. I am in a similar boat; I don't have familiarity with any place out here. Every time I go somewhere it is new. It is really hard to catch fish the way you want to in those circumstances. For me, I want to get a big fish. I don't care if I ever catch another four pounder. My goal is a bass 60% of the state record anywhere I go. The problem is, you really need to fish differently for big bass than you do for average fish. But if you don't have a good amount of familiarity with a lake, you are just going to have to "get lucky" to catch a big one. Luck is nice, but you don't want to rely on it. Still, there is only so much you can do with a lake until you understand the idiosyncrasies of a body of water. You are playing darts with a blindfold.

What prey species are in evidence? Where are the key structures? What colors do they like? How do seasonal usages by recreational boaters affect the bite? Is there a large variance in water level from spring to fall? Where does the water come from? Can you fish at night? All these factors come into play.

Everyone has different goals. For me, I might want to catch a big bass, but until I have caught enough "regular" bass to begin to put something together on a lake, I find it extremely difficult to summon the fortitude to fish big fish patterns, knowing them to be on the whole tedious and low percentage options. Once I have a little knowledge of a body of water, I will park on a good spot and make the same cast over and over and over, knowing that at some point I stand a good chance to connect with a real bass. It is all in perspective.

Keep a thick skin, but quit the Hagg for a while. You can do it. Bass are bass, and you CAN and WILL get them otherwhere.

Cheers, and keep us posted on your journey.

-SS

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
For some confidence - go hit some spots on the Willamette anywhere from Salem to Portland - there's good bank access in places in Wilsonville, West Linn, Oregon City, Gladstone, Milwaukie, Portland, and in between that all hold fish. Take your three confidence baits - the ones you fish the most and get the best results with - and fish them there. Once you get a few fish on those - try other baits.

When I was getting serious about bass fishing - the first lure I always, always went with was a 3 inch grub on a 1/4 ounce round head jig, in white or chartreuse. I fished that lots on the Willamette and the Tualatin and caught fish. I'd also fish in-line spinners, mostly Rooster Tails back then from 1/16th ounce on up. And I'd fish rapalas a lot. Always could count on one of those three to get fish, if not all of them. Then I started doing that at Hagg - even though Hagg is the place I've fished the most of of all the places I've fished - it took a while before I got decent at catching bass with some consistency there. The water clarity that you attribute to actually catching fish - I cursed for a long time because it always seemed that if I could see the fish, they could see me, and would never eat. They're still that way sometimes - but it taught me to try to be more stealthy in my approach.

I haven't reached Shaun's stage yet where I am consistently searching for that "60%" fish - I'd be happy as a pig in feces if I was catching 2lb fish every outing, and 4lb fish with regularity. My newly acquired obsession with swimbaits may lead to that. But Shaun is right - you gotta try other places, and fish them enough, with enough confidence in your tackle and techniques, and you will get fish. Look for the obvious spots and fish them, but don't overlook the "meh" water - in a new place, you don't know what's under the surface. A technique I picked up from some great youtubers for reading the bottom in a new place, while bank fishing - is to use a heavy jig with a sensitive rod & line, then slowly drag that jig across the bottom, fan casting it to see what features, depths, and bottom types you're dealing with. Once you've done it a few times it's easy to tell grass from mud from sand from rocks, and you can use the count down method if you know the sink rate of your bait to determine depth.

Fish are fish, and they're going to key onto structure, into food, and they're going to follow their same basic habits from lake to lake, so think about how you would fish a particular spot on Hagg, and if you see a similar spot, fish it the same way. I always, always, start off looking for breaks / drops offs, cover (timber, grass), and points no matter where I'm fishing. Those are the first areas I look to fish, unless there are other blatant spots - such as docks or pilings nearby.

And some days we're just not meant to catch a fish despite the conditions being perfect. Sometimes luck is the overriding factor. Can't roll 7's all the time, right?

RE: St Louis Ponds in particular - I've noticed that each pond has a distinctly prevalent fish - at least every time I fish it. Some ponds are way better for panfish, others for bass, others trout. Never gave the catfish much attention there yet - I'm not much of a bait fisher anymore. I'd say that at those ponds, if you're hunting for bass and not getting bit in one pond, try the others until you find the pond where the bass are "on"

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
GungasUncle said:
...don't overlook the "meh" water - in a new place, you don't know what's under the surface.

^$$$

Also, for the record, it will be a LONG process of dialing it in here before I can start targeting big fish with any consistency again. I'm still very much in data compiling mode, and as such tend to be about as happy as the aforementioned swine if I can just catch a few when I hit a new lake. Loon and Triangle are both on my list next. Payin' dues, payin' dues.

SS

portlandrain
portlandrain
Thanks a lot guys. There's some great words of advice in there.

I've been so addicted to fishing recently that i go 3 times a week, but usually I'd just like to catch bass. I know i can grab a couple stocker trout but it's so lame. Hagg has been a once a week stop, especially if I've been skunked the other days because as you say, i've got confidence there. I had planned to hit the Willamette tomorrow for a bit, and I'd like to take my kayak out there but it makes me nervous. I've only ever used the yak in lakes so a large river is a bit intimidating. There are also a couple lakes out toward the coast that seem tempting so in coming weeks i might head out there too.

In a slightly related note... Jigs. Man, they literally always get snagged up and lost. Any tips to prevent that? Stronger line and rod? Lighter jig head? Better fishing skills?! Lol

Thanks again guys. I'm gonna read over your posts 16 more times and then dream about catching the record!

Aervax
Aervax
I sent you a private message with some ideas. Check your notifications for messages.

Y
youtalkintame
rig a plastic worm snagless. just as effective

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
portlandrain said:
In a slightly related note... Jigs. Man, they literally always get snagged up and lost. Any tips to prevent that?

Uh, nope. Sorry. You are just going to resign yourself to a life of feeding those things to snags. Using the lightest you can get away with while still maintaining feel/bottom contact helps, but jigs are going to get snagged. Pouring them yourself can be a way to keep a good supply on hand. Once you have poured 50 or so you pretty much pay off the mold, which will go for $45 or so these days. But that is a whole other ball of wax, as they say.

W
wils
What time are you starting in the morning? if you are serious about catching bass, oregon allows you to start one half hour before sunrise. This time of year through early July, a 3" topwater popper should get your early-to-late morning adrenaline going.

portlandrain
portlandrain
youtalkintame said:
rig a plastic worm snagless. just as effective.

That's what I've been doing, especially knowing that i get most bites on the fall and it's lighter this way

portlandrain
portlandrain
I usually get going at about 6 am but I'm but sure i could make it for sunrise. Well, i could but.... Lol.
Evening is a much better proposition! I'll give that a try.

M
mustardthetrout
I've had the same problem. I live very close to bethany pond and have spent hours and hours trying to catch bass there because it looks like great bass habitat. To date I have only caught one bigger than panfish size.

I'm really interested in fishing hagg, but the size intimidates me a little bit. Where do you even go? And what do you use? I'm thinking about trying senkos but don't really know how to fish them in a lake that big.

portlandrain
portlandrain
mustardthetrout said:
I've had the same problem. I live very close to bethany pond and have spent hours and hours trying to catch bass there because it looks like great bass habitat. To date I have only caught one bigger than panfish size.

I'm really interested in fishing hagg, but the size intimidates me a little bit. Where do you even go? And what do you use? I'm thinking about trying senkos but don't really know how to fish them in a lake that big.

Are you on foot or on the water? If you're on foot I'd recommend the banks near boat ramp C. There are trails from there all the way into the creek arm of scoggins creek. Texas rigged senkos have been great.

From the water, the whole back half of the lake has been good for me. There's lots of grassy areas.

T
TheBigFoote
mustardthetrout said:

I used to feel the same way. Here is what I do, get yourself a depth map of the lake if you can and start by marking areas with interesting topography. If you can't get a depth/topo, use google maps, you'll be surprised how well you can see structure and such. When you find an area you can get to (there is a launch ramp or similar close enough to row/motor to) Head out there, treat that area like a single small lake, ignore the rest of the lake for the trip. Some areas your going to do good, some you won't, you'll start to see a pattern of where fish hold. When you see the pattern, look for similar areas of the lake and fish them the same.

I'm assuming you have some sort of watercraft, if you dont you kinda just go where there is shore access and hope for the best :)

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
mustardthetrout said:

I used to fish Bethany a few times a week, sometimes daily - for bass, carp, and panfish mostly - the bass don't get real big in that lake. Largest I ever saw was a couple pounds, but most are in the 10 inch range. Still fun on light tackle. Just scale back the presentations a little - 1/4 ounce or smaller jigs instead of 1/2 or bigger stuff, smaller spinner baits, and I usually didn't go bigger than 5 inches on my worms (senkos, robo worms, and curly tailed power worms in red, purple, or blue/black usually). Weightless tubes work really well there - I rig it super simple. A long shank #1 or 1/0 Owner round bend hook tied directly to the main line. Poke the tube on from the tip and slide it up until the hook eye is inside the tube and the bend sticks out the skirt. Depending on which tube is being used, the rig will either stay close to the surface or slowly sink and suspend. Fish it with pops and twitches, or walk the dog style back to you. Weightless tubes tend to dart and glide like dying baitfish when popped and twitched then given a pause. . The bethany bass really liked that retrieve. I've always done best on bass on the west end of the lake near the dam, and around the pads on that end. Never did well on bass near the 185th side - that always was better for trout and the occasional bullhead. Carp fishing is/was also better near the dam end.