Looking for some advice about steelhead

D
dKest
[h=2]So i recently just moved out here from the east coast where i was born and raised. Fished fresh water my whole life but always wanted to get out here for some of the best tasting fish in the U.S. Ive been doing a lot of research on the winter run for Steelhead and this is pretty much what i got so far. For the steel to run the water level needs to be a lot higher then what it is. Fishing with a pink jig and bobber tend to work. The Steelhead tastes quiet amazing and are smarter then the average fish when it comes to noticing line and what not. Basically what I'm asking is what are some of the better tackle and bait to use along with where are some of the more highly populated areas to catch these fish? Im new at the whole steelhead and salmon fishing so any help would be GREAT!!![/h]

B
Berg03
Your heading in the right direction. Bobber and a jig is an effective way of fishing, also drifting yarnies or corkies, as well as spinner fishing. Type each of these ways in google and you will find numerous ways of fishing them.
As far as where to go... almost any coastal river will have a winter steelhead run, as far as certain spots... you really just need to get out there and explore each river to find one that fits you, check the regulation book for any deadlines these rivers will have. As far as it being to low of water each river takes a different amount of rain to make it fishable. Idealy you want a light green water color, "steelhead green". And most rivers in Oregon only allow you to keep hatchery steelhead, so check the regs for that too. Steelhead fishing can be very frustrating, have patience and it will be worth it. One of a kind catch!
Good luck!

Casting Call
Casting Call
Welcome dK! You ask about some advise, well here goes. Years ago when I fished the Wilson river for an example. When I started an area recon. I would pick out a familar land mark on the hwy. and I would walk down the trail at the WEST end of each guardrail. You will find a lot of holes to fish and remember where they are if you want to return. Another landmark to use is west of the rails by the tallest tree, either side. B03 had some good advise. Let me know what you think and how you do on whatever river you do and don't forget to buy your Colum. tibu. tag. Tony

Y
youngbuck307
With steelhead it's not so much what you fish but how you fish it. Everyone has there own lil way they love and think is the best. I started out just bobber fishing learned all the ins and outs of it i could through reading and watching others then after I though I had it down I moved on. One thing I love doing while jig fishing is tip my jig with some kind of shrimp

D
dKest
Well thanks Berg for the insight! Ive researched the fishing techniques that you told me about and ill have to pick one and try it. I tried Gnat creek but that was an epic fail, saw one big rainbow but he refused to bit but i also had my pool set up like a dummy. Also how does one find this "steelhead green" water? Ill be heading out as soon as this rain stops. I reside in Astoria but I've been seeing lots of cars parked of 101 heading south fishing from the rivers coming out of the ocean. Hopefully ill have some luck and maybe even a picture to post on this website! One last thing any tackle for fishing for these steels that work better then others? I was thinking i should use between 8-12Lb test with a rod that easy accesible to use while working around trees and what not. Something simile to a trout rod, perhaps maybe even
a rod thats a lil more sturdy..

D
dKest
Mr. Casting call thanks for the warm welcome! I actually have done what you've said before with swimming holes and different hikes in the past. If your ever looking to remember a good spot your right remembering a land mark is the cats ass. As if that saying actually is a good thing lol None the less thanks for taking you time to give me some insight. And Oh man almost forgot about that tag thanks for the reminder!

B
Berg03
Steelhead green water usually appears a few days after a good rain. The rain brings in the mud and it slowly turns green before it turns clear. The deeper the hole the longer it takes to transition from green to clear. I use 20lb braid main line and 10lb flurocarbon leader. Most steelhead poles are from 8-10ft in length and near medium action. Not to say i havent caught them on a 6'6" trout rod before.