Looking for rabbits and pack rats!

C
Cuervo2138
Hey folks I'm looking for rabbits and pack rats. I'm looking for a place where there are no gun hunters. I usually go down towards ee wilson area but I need a few new places cause its getting a little crowded. There is a special reason I am looking for an area with no gun hunters... As soon I my computer decides to work i'll show you guys why.. Thanks for the help

I
Ifishforfood
go anywhere with blackberry bushes and hunt along the edge. maybe try sauvies island.

S
strawberry shortcake
If you have a canoe, head to the Willamette from Albany and drift down along the edge. Put in where you can and hunt along the edge, which is filled with brambles and briars. I've drifted that river with my ex and we never saw any gun hunters.

B
Bad Tuna
I may be wrong, but I think EE Wilson is closed to hunting right now to allow fishing.

C
Cuervo2138
Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
beautiful bird. Thats something ive always wanted to experience.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Although you can hunt with fire arms on the Willamette Green ways, only goon ive ever seen out there hunting was me... They dont get used very often is my experience. I believe you can get a map of all of the locations.

G
GDBrown
my suspicions were correct! Beautiful bird, how old was it when you started it's training?

gd

M
Markcanby
Is he afraid of guns or are you just afraid of someone shooting him. I would love to take you to Maupin this fall with my bird dog you could sent him after all the ones I can't seem to hit. Thats a lot by the way. Hell I would be interested in leaving my gun at home just for the experience.

Hmmm bird dog really like birds wonder how she would feel about him.

C
Cuervo2138
thanks gd, he was about 6-7 months old when we started training. This was my bird from last season, so i am going to get a new bird and start all over!
currently i dont have a boat so i probably wont be able to access most of the good greenways.
My fear would be that someone would take a shot at him while hunting. I would love to try hunting pheasants and ducks with a redtail but they dont have the speed for it. They normally sit in a tall tree and wait for something to come close and drop down like an anvil! Its an amazing sight! With the sharp talons that the birds have the dogs usually learn QUICK to give them their space. I have a few friends that hunt their birds with GSP, GWP, springers, brittanies, beagles and everyone is happy. What kind of dog do you have Mark?

T
the_intimidator03
I am curious what kind of licensing and fee's are associated with falconry? and the cost of rearing/training the bird?

M
Markcanby
I have a GSP.

C
Cuervo2138
The license is a little over $100 for the feds and then around $130 for the state. I can remember the exact price but hopefully this will change soon. Then you have the Mews (the hawk's house) which can range from $100 to thousands depending on the requirements for the birds and your taste. As far as for feeding the birds you usually only have to buy food for the first month with a redtail, about $40. You can usually get them hunting in the first month and then they are self sufficient.
Mark i have a gsp, they are good dogs. I have a friend that uses one for flushing ducks for his falcon. i need to get my dog out on some birds cause we have never had the chance but he is really birdie..

G
gonagin
Cool! a buddy of mine down in nor Cal is a falconer. He has a redtail named Jesse.