Looking for pontoon boat advice

T
taconight2night
Hey guys and gals :peace: The thought of buying a pontoon boat has been creeping into my mind as of late. I live in Eugene and feel that if I had a way to get out on the water instead of just searching for bank spots, I might have a better chance of hooking into some salmon or steelhead. I really don't know where to start with looking for a suitable way to do this. I cannot afford a drift boat nor can I haul one due to driving a smaller car. But I figure that I may be able to put a small hitch on my civic and pull a small trailer with a pontoon boat. I'm assuming that I could drift fish or back-troll plugs for salmon or steelhead down the Willamette, McKenzie, and Siuslaw. Safe? I could also pull it out to a few local lakes and fish for trout and warm water fish.. I'd really like a good quality boat that I can keep for years, decking it out with rod holders, a small electric motor, or even a depth finder. Another issue I have is that I am extraordinarily tall at 6'9" and weigh about 260lbs so I'm not sure on what size boat would be a good fit. I don't make a lot of money but I figure I could spend around $600. Any advice on size, brand, or anything at all would be much appreciated. Thanks! :thumb:

T
Throbbit _Shane
I would keep an eye on Craigslist for a Dave Scadden or a 10' Outcast.

Also pontoons can be disassembled and reassembled at the river or lake, so they are great for small cars. Just get a electric pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter on a car and it wont take long to pump up a boat and be on the water.

S
Stonefish
If you are going to float rivers, especially in the winter get a boat that has a excellent frame, oars and tubes.
If safety is a concern which it should be, look closely at those items.

I've always had good luck and great customer service from Outcast. Scadden... Not so much.
Also check out boats from companies like Bad Cat.

Good luck in your search.
SF

P
PTownAngler
Creek company makes good pontoons. I have their frameless version, its the best of both worlds. It rows better than a framed one but you can still use flippers and easily go hands free like a float tube. Its amazing I highly recommend it. Its called the voyager. Its rated up to class 2 whitewater. The whole thing deflates so it would fit in your car easy. It is great on the water, sits high very easy to maneuver and rows easy, glides real nice. I've takin it to several Mt. Hood lakes and drifted the Sandy and Clackamas river. Creek Company makes good framed pontoons too. Although I've used 3 different framed ones. Two 10 foot an one 9 foot. One of the 10' had a motor. I'd take my frameless one over the other three without a second thought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
A Dave Scadden toon for under $1,000? That would be a STEAL!

K
knucklehead 61
you could get lucky & find an older wood drift boat on craigslist.
your honda can tow a light weight trailer & drift boat i would think.
at your height a small pontoon wouldn't be comfortable.

B
Berg03
if your going to be in rivers not jsut lakes and ponds, get a well framed and good pontoons boat. Some are not really meant for the river. Also at the minimum shoot for a 9ft 10ft would be better. Get solid oars as the cheaper ones will break on you while going through some tough rapids.

T
taconight2night
Thanks for the info folks, I've been doing a lot of CL searches and found some good ones. I'm thinking that due to my height, a 10 footer would be a decent fit. I've found a few for around $500. Now if I can only land that BLM job that they are saying I am "best qualified for." Not sure if any of you have a Federal job, but sesh it's been hard fought trying to land a job in the Fed system. But when I do, a boat is on the way! I used to have a fiberglass drift boat and bumpin rocks in thatsucker was a chore due to having to make repairs. Not sure a wooden one would be any better. My next drift boat with be aluminum for sure.

B
Berg03
Also listen to Shane from up above. he Floats the Umpqua a lot! he knows what is needed out there.

J
JeannaJigs
Wood drift boats are great if you like to maintain them CONSTANTLY. That $300 craigslist boat isn't worth it, it's not fishable and would require $$$ and lots of free time. Drift boats are great, but in low water they blow. I haven't even taken mine out this summer due to low water. Pontoons are more versatile if you're just looking for a cab between otherwise unreachable bank spots. Keep your eyes open and a good deal will fall into your lap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

troutdude
troutdude
All great advice...especially from Shane and Jeanna. Some of the cheaper ones, also have crappy oar locks. Look for brass oar locks, for durability.