Looking for Hagg help

T
tumblin1
Hey just want to know if someone wants help a fellow fisherman learn the ropes of bass fishing on Hagg Lake?:pray:

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
tumblin1 said:
Hey just want to know if someone wants help a fellow fisherman learn the ropes of bass fishing on Hagg Lake?:pray:

Well, when spring rolls around and the creek arms are flooded, try tossin a spinnerbait or some senkos. Bait such as worms probably will work well too... Just wait because the lake aint open yet...

T
tumblin1
I will try that FishSchooler, thanks. I am counting the days down until the lake opens.

F
FishSchooler
tumblin1 said:
I will try that FishSchooler, thanks. I am counting the days down until the lake opens.

But the water will be very cold though. Maybe wait until late march or early may for warmer waters... remember that little bays/arms warm up faster, drawing baitfish to them...

M
michaelkim9582
when does hagg lake open up. cause recently it was my birthday and I got a new bassin setup im dying to try out.

F
FishSchooler
michaelkim9582 said:
when does hagg lake open up. cause recently it was my birthday and I got a new bassin setup im dying to try out.

Got a while to wait though, it opens march 5th, but the water will be very high and cold. I only got one little trout when I was there.

T
tumblin1
open date

open date

FishSchooler said:
Got a while to wait though, it opens march 5th, but the water will be very high and cold. I only got one little trout when I was there.

I thought it opened March 7, I maybe wrong but if not I would rather be late instead of being out there to early.:naughty: I do rather well trolling for trout, just about limit out every time with 12" to 14" fish. It is rather fun but I want to try my luck at the bass that are suppose to be in there.:)

O
OneMore
Ive had luck with just live worms on the bottom. Sometimes later in the summer toss a spinner along the dam. Toss it as close as you can to the rocks and you will see them shoot out to hit your spinner.

T
tumblin1
OneMore said:
Ive had luck with just live worms on the bottom. Sometimes later in the summer toss a spinner along the dam. Toss it as close as you can to the rocks and you will see them shoot out to hit your spinner.
Thanks OneMore

F
FishSchooler
Im positive it opens march 5th... I havent tried throwing spinners parallel to the rocks, only out... with no luck. If you want it like 4 feet from the rocks, can't you just walk along and "troll" it behind you? I will try that next time.

B
Blazerguy06
I would try and use some kind of swimbait. I was there a few years ago and saw a guy catch about a 4-5 pounder. He was using a rubber salamander. My dad caught a monthly record about 10 years ago, he had a trout on his line, the bass came up and swallowed the trout whole. I think it weighed just over 6lbs.

as for when Hagg opens, it should be the first weekend in March

F
FishSchooler
Welcome to OFF Blazer!I havent thought of using a swim bait for hagg... maybe I will try one in may or late march. Shad pattern or minnow pattern?

C
chris61182
FishSchooler said:
Im positive it opens march 5th...

I'd take a second look at the regulations if I were you. It's on page 51 in the paper version, 55 in the pdf.

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
chris61182 said:
I'd take a second look at the regulations if I were you. It's on page 51 in the paper version, 55 in the pdf.

Well, I just was rememberin from last year... :rolleyes:

B
Blazerguy06
I think the opening day is march 7th, that would be a Saturday, and it would be the first weekend in march. I think really all you have to do is call.

Thanks schooler for welcoming me. I have pretty much grown up out at Hagg. I have been going there for about 15 years now. I haven't really gone to Hagg to bass fish though. Sometimes I will throw in a worm and see if i can get something. My buddy caught a nice small mouth with a worm a few years back. I really don't think typical bass bait works to well out at Hagg. I don't really know for sure though, I have never heard of someone catching a lunker on traditional bait. (let me know if you have heard or seen differently) This year I really want to make an effort at bass fishing there. After seeing that guy catch a 4-5 pounder off a salamander. we'll see though.

F
FishSchooler
Blazerguy06 said:
I think the opening day is march 7th, that would be a Saturday, and it would be the first weekend in march. I think really all you have to do is call.

Thanks schooler for welcoming me. I have pretty much grown up out at Hagg. I have been going there for about 15 years now. I haven't really gone to Hagg to bass fish though. Sometimes I will throw in a worm and see if i can get something. My buddy caught a nice small mouth with a worm a few years back. I really don't think typical bass bait works to well out at Hagg. I don't really know for sure though, I have never heard of someone catching a lunker on traditional bait. (let me know if you have heard or seen differently) This year I really want to make an effort at bass fishing there. After seeing that guy catch a 4-5 pounder off a salamander. we'll see though.

Hmm... if you toss a worm out, you can catch from a bullhead to trout... there are bullheads, bluegills, crappies, SM and LM bass, maybe some channel cats, yellow perch, trout.... and newts...

Here's a list of baits/lures to try... Worms, powerbait, small spinners, spinner baits, rapalas, crankbaits, kastmasters, and all that rubber rubbish.... :D Like senkos

H
Hawk
I've c&r many Bass & Trout, etc using a deep diving Rebel lure that looks like a baby bass. It's called a Wee R. The # onthe package is F9376. Years ago i bought a bunch online from Rebel. Don't use them in heavily wooded areas. I've lost some.

I also do well with shallow diving Rebels & Rapalas in earthtone colors................yellows, greens, browns, black, white, orange variations, etc..................................:D

Happy Fishin'..........................:lol::lol::lol:...............................:cool:

F
flippinbaits
Blazerguy06 said:

I really don't think typical bass bait works to well out at Hagg. I don't really know for sure though, I have never heard of someone catching a lunker on traditional bait. (let me know if you have heard or seen differently) .

the state record sm came out of hagg on a zoom super fluke...pretty typical bass bait if you ask me. if you c-rig a senko along points and accross the you shall do fine, or grab a spinner bait...not a spinner for trout....and slow roll in along the weed edge in early spring.

W
Webwader
Hagg Lake always opens on Saturday of the first full weekend in March and closes the Sunday before Thanksgiving. This year that would be the 7th.