Looking for bass in all the wrong places?

K
Kage
New to bass fishing and trying to find them around Sandy and the Columbia or in waters where they'd be safe to eat. Went to Chinook Landing and looked for structures to fish around and got nothing. The next day I went to Rooster Rock and fished along the boat launch area leading out to the Columbia. Got some dinky ones to bite so that was fun but no keepers. Fished the Columbia from there with no luck. Fun and gotten more bites than salmon or steelies, just trying to find some decent spots to give a shot. And am I correct in thinking that the Columbia can be fished anywhere as long as I'm not trespassing? Thanks in advance to those who respond

Aervax
Aervax
I am still learning where to catch bass when walking the bank of the Columbia. I will share what I am learning.

I am finding that the bigger bass are super specific about where they hang out and feed. There are times where I will walk half a mile or more without making a cast because the combination of right conditions just are not there for fish over, let's say a half pound.

This time of year what I am looking for is current seams in 15-20 feet of water. Smallmouth really orient to areas with current. These are places where the bass can relax in slow water, but are adjacent to stronger current that funnels food into their vicinity without having to range far to find it. The name of the game for them is to consume as much nutrition as they can at the least amount of effort they can get away with. The ones that do it well are the ones that get big.

Deep water seams can be found behind big rocks or outcroppings, at a sharp corner or bend around structure, next to ledges or behind underwater dropoffs. You get the picture.

Spots with the right combination of current, depth and structure are very specific. For example, Fishing the bank at Rooster Rock covers the entire marina and channel and a mile of bank on the main channel. I do not believe that stretch has the kind of water I am describing that is accessible from the bank at normal water levels. The only spot there that tempts me would have to use a kayak or float tube. I am betting that decent size bass can be caught right where the marina channel meets the main river. There is going to be a current seam where the still marina water meets the main current. That is an educated guess on my part. I have observed that location from the road, but do not have the motivation to make it down to there on foot. I doubt that it can be done without swimming. Haha. Boat or kayak would work.

When I get to a spot like that I will work several depths and all angles trying to provoke a bite. Sometimes they want a slow tantalizing presentation like a Senko. Other times it takes a rapid retrieve on a deep diving crank bait driven straight into the rock. Hesitate after contact with the structure so it floats up off the rock, like a stunned minnow that just bumped its head. Then pop it a couple times and hesitate again. Then drive it into the bottom with fast cranks and hesitate all over again. The take can be vicious, but is frequently nothing more than a bump when they inhale the lure and hover in place with it in their mouth. When in doubt always set the hook because they will spit out a crankbait pretty quick.
It is hard to find places to use this technique from shore without snagging a lot. If you find places to fish where the target area depths are sloping toward you rather than away, or parallel to you, those offer better bank cranking without snagging too much.

It can be done successfully. My biggest bank caught bass on the John Day is 7.5 lbs. Biggest on the Columbia is 6.5.

As to fish that are safe to eat, that could be a matter of opinion. PCBs are higher in some parts of the Columbia than others, but they seem to be pretty much everywhere in the mid and lower river. PCBs are a known carcinogen. Personally, I will not eat any resident fish in the big C, especially not sturgeon, catfish, bass or walleye. I will eat salmon, steelhead and shad, but they spend most of their life in the ocean. Look up Columbia River fish consumption advisories before taking any home.

Reactions: troutdude
C_Run
C_Run
Good, timely info as I am planning a bass outing this week and barely know what I am doing. Usually manage to get some 10 inchers with a Senko but no trophies yet.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Super useful post Aervax. Thanks for taking the time to share. You could fit all my river bass fishing experience into a Dixie Cup, so I am glad to see what others have to say about the particulars of river bassing.

Cheers!

SS

J
JonT
As always, topwater at sunrise might be a good bet this month.

K
Kage
Thank you very much for the feedback. It will help me tremendously and others as well I'm sure. When I'm able to head out again I can hopefully have something to show for it. Btw, just a question I have been curious about, what hook size or range of sizes should I be working with if I'm using live worms? Again thanks for your response

Aervax
Aervax
Gents. Jon T is spot on with the topwater advice. I did not get to that topic in my never ending diatribe. Pretty tough to get snagged when jerking a popper along the surface. If you look at the guys posting about bass on the willamette they are having success with poppers right now.

Aervax
Aervax
It has been a long time, since I used live worms for bass, maybe 20+ years. That was back when I was getting my feet wet with warm-water fish. I need to give that some thought.

I recall catching them on small jig heads, with the head tucked inside the worm fished under a sliding bobber with a stop for adjusting depth. That was pretty effective. Worms seem to evoke more of a bite, hold and chew response; so hook size probably has less consequence than when fishing lures.

With lures bass inhale, crush to kill, then exhale and expel to get rid of what they discover is a fake. You can feel the bump on the inhale, tick on the crush, and a bump on the expulsion. Then they are gone. You get a much longer hold and crush with real bait and some soft plastics. The real bait will probably be deeper in their mouth, they might even swallow it, so hook size is less important.

Setting the hook quickly before they swallow it will reduce bass mortality. Any that do swallow the hook or otherwise gill hooked bleeders should be kept as part of your limit.

Crappie jigs tipped with a worm, or even 1/64 ounce ice fishing micro jigs meant for trout were both equal bass catchers for me when learning to catch them. A size 2 bait hook was my go-too for a worm below a sinker type rig. Don't worry about going too large with the hook. I have caught 5 lb Largemouth with baby ducks stuck in their throat, and they were still eating. In some ways larger hooks are better. Less likely to be swallowed.

It sounds like you have been catching smaller bass, which can take a minute or 2 to get any bait deep enough to hook them. Don't let that skew your technique for the big ones. They either take it all the way in their mouth in an instant, or they don't. None of this grabbing onto it and swimming around like the dinks will do with it. That is more like a Bluegill bite. Try to keep in mind that the bigger ones are going to inhale with a bump, crush to kill and expel. That can feel like a 3 part bite - bump, tick, then bump when spitting it out. It can be over in less than a second.

Do not wait to set the hook on a bass like you do on a Chinook. It is either in their mouth ready to be hooked, or out of their mouth and gone.