Looking for a rod and reel for pullings plugs...

S
Steelheader4Life
Hi everyone,

Anyone have any recommendations for a Rod and Reel for pulling plugs? Any help is appreciated.

F
First Bite
For steelhead I use a couple Berkley IM8 (8-12#) rods matched with Curado reels. Mainline is hi-vis power pro running to a swivel where I tie on a four foot leader of maxima ultragreen.

Mark

S
steelhead_stalkers
I have a buddy down in Cali that LOVES fishing plugs and thats pretty much all he does. He likes a shorter rod around 8'0" or less with an extra fast action. We didn't fish anything as heavy as Phil is talking about above but the fish were smaller Trinity river and Feather river steelhead. I think we were using 8-12lb rods. If you are going the custom rod rout let me know and I can let you know which Batson blanks he used when making his rods. Good luck!

P
plumb2fish
loomis hsr 9000s

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
lamiglass classic glass, pulling plugs for steel or nooks is heavy work, graphite rods were designed to give fishermen what they asked for... lighter rods. This doesn't matter in a boat, and graphite is inferior to glass in a boat. I think you would be shocked to see how many guides run new glass rods out of boats. If you look in the corner of any 40 something yr olds garage you will see a stack of graphite rods with no tips or busted ferrules... if you look in the corner of any 60 something yr olds garage you will see a bunch of glass rods.... in perfect fishing condition. ( give or take some f..d up guides.

R
Razz
halibuthitman said:
lamiglass classic glass, pulling plugs for steel or nooks is heavy work, graphite rods were designed to give fishermen what they asked for... lighter rods. This doesn't matter in a boat, and graphite is inferior to glass in a boat. I think you would be shocked to see how many guides run new glass rods out of boats. If you look in the corner of any 40 something yr olds garage you will see a stack of graphite rods with no tips or busted ferrules... if you look in the corner of any 60 something yr olds garage you will see a bunch of glass rods.... in perfect fishing condition. ( give or take some f..d up guides.
ARE you saying use OLD GUYS are SMART?????????????? Glass all the way