Looking for a new pond to explore

M
mustardthetrout
As some of you might have been able to tell from many of my posts, I love fishing small ponds and rivers for all sorts of species. I was wondering if anyone knew of any new ponds in the area that have good fishing for warmwater species such as bass, panfish, catfish, and carp. I know that the ODFW has lists of ponds and lakes but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions. Any will be appreciated. Thanks!

D
DrTheopolis
Fire OFF Google Maps, and head to St Johns. You'll find plenty of spots.

F
Fishpdx
Fairview lake has bass carp and more carp. But is mostly private property , if you can get access you are lucky. Also try clackamette cove located near clackamette park, not as popular have a couple carp and has a big 30 pound koi, I saw it about 7 times while fishing for carp but no luck catching it, has some largemouth and smallmouth near the mouth where it connects with clackamas river, and of course some catfish my biggest was 5 pound cat.

B
Big3d
There are massive pikeminnow in clackamette cove too.

C
chodathug
I've been fishing Bethany pond during the week after work with my fam. There's really big carp swirling around and some surprisingly nice-sized bass and crappie. There's also catfish, bluegill, and they just stocked 1K planters on Thursday as well. It's off 185th and West Union in Beaverton/Hillsboro. Great place to take kids or the girlfriend fishing as there's bank access almost all they way around and we never get skunked.

The only bad thing about that place is in a month or so, the weeds take over and it's difficult to fish after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troutski
Troutski
Travel time....

Travel time....

Are you wanting to stay close to home ? There are quite a few small ponds and a ton of small creeks in my area, all gems of course.. If you are interested shoot me a pm...

Chuck

M
mustardthetrout
chodathug said:
I've been fishing Bethany pond during the week after work with my fam. There's really big carp swirling around and some surprisingly nice-sized bass and crappie. There's also catfish, bluegill, and they just stocked 1K planters on Thursday as well. It's off 185th and West Union in Beaverton/Hillsboro. Great place to take kids or the girlfriend fishing as there's bank access almost all they way around and we never get skunked.

The only bad thing about that place is in a month or so, the weeds take over and it's difficult to fish after that.

I've fished that lake for over a year and have never caught any Crappie. Then again, I don't really know how to fish for them. What have you caught crappie there on?

C
chodathug
Looking for a new pond to explore

We caught 2 black crappie while fishing for trout one day this week. I was actually really surprised to see them there.
One was actually pretty big. They both bit small pieces of worms under a bobber (24inches) late in the day. We were fishing right near the second picnic table.

I think next time I go, I'll try to actually target them. This would involve a black and chartreuse crappie jig under a bobber retrieved with a series of small jerks (at least that's how we used to catch them when I was a kid). If that ends up working out I'll report back! Good luck

Forgot - my GF had a pic of the first one
e9a31291796968969c0cf1c25c4bd493.jpg

Last edited:
C
chodathug
...btw, does anyone have any tips on how to catch carp at Bethany pond? I was thinking about floating dough balls under a bobber, but wondering if there's a better way? Thx!

T
Teachtheteacher
I am taking my dad out to this Pond tomorrow. How is the fishing there in the late afternoon/early evening?

C
chodathug
The bite seems to get better later as it's getting closer to dark. There's some trout still in there and we learned learned how to catch the carp. Corn covering small hooks- fished off the bottom (Make sure you use a sliding weight as they kinda mess with your bait at first before they take it) Corn will also catch you trout, catfish and bluegill. You should be fishing the areas close to some Lilly pads for fish cover. Good luck!

T
Teachtheteacher
Thanks for the input! I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow evening!

B
bubbarockies
Teachtheteacher said:
Thanks for the input! I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow evening!
Any luck last week?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

T
Teachtheteacher
bubbarockies said:
Any luck last week?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We had bites. My dad caught a carp and a catfish. We released both. For me it was a nice day to get a sun tan. Haha