Looking for a good sturgeon finder

S
Sturgeon Excursion
I want to upgrade my fishfinder as it doesn't do very well in our deeper 80-100' holes here in Minnesota. Wondering if there is a consensus on what fishfinders scan the bottom 5-10' of DEEP holes the best to locate sturgeon.

I know the feeding Lake Sturgeon scan the bottom for food, whether it is deep or shallow, that's an argument for a different thread.

I also am starting to look at the side imaging scanners as they can be very beneficial in new stretches of water for scouting structure.

H
halibuthitman
If you fish a lot, I would recomend the compact versons from Furuno, simrad or try even echo-techs.... the problem with sturgeon and deep water is the lack of an airbladder, so the deeper thay are the more they dissapear... these sounders filter better and show bottom layering very well so targetting the right structure becomes a lot easier. ( they are quite expensive )

T
The Nothing
You'd be better off just looking for the deep holes rather than fish.

A
autofisher
The problem that I've found with most of the fish finders that I've used is in fact that the deeper that the water is, the bottom fish seem to disappear. I ended up just using it as a depth finder and looking for the holes and rock spots that they hang out in. I know it's no real help, but it's the best I can offer.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
The Nothing said:
You'd be better off just looking for the deep holes rather than fish.

I agree . The deeper they go , the more they disappear . I look for probable holes with mine . Not fish . Its over 15 years old and it works like the day it came out of the box . My buddy has one he threw down 600$ for and it still dont mark monsters . But it has GPS . We know where we are going . He is younger than me , and needs GPS : ) can't afford a fish finder that high tech . Of course , I fish Bonnivlle and Bonnivlle only for sturgon , no other areas , and i know where im going . I just use the F.F. to get me on my zone . Unless yer fishin 20 ft of water , yer gonna spend close to $1000 for a F.F. If you can drop that change , I guess I made the wrong career move , cause I sure as hell can't . (Bonnivlle Dam , Columbia River , Oregon .)