Looking for a fly rod...

F
FishSchooler
I'm looking for a fly rod, that is long-hike-friendly. I prefer a combo type thing since they come with everything you need, because all this fly fishing line and stuff just I dont want to learn everything. A multi piece rod that comes with a small case that is light and small under $50 would be great (for trout in small rivers, creeks, and mountain lakes).

Reactions: OnTheFly
O
OnTheFly
I would get the 4 piece 9' 5wt. The line will most likely be floating line therefore an extra spool with intermediate sinking will be needed because you'll be using it 80% of the time.

M
Markcanby
OnTheFly you must fish a lot of 8' water plus all I hear for you is sinktip sinktip sinktip!:lol:

F
FishSchooler
Thanks! I will look into that, but I remember seeing a 5 piece or something rod at dick's...

O
OnTheFly
sink tip?

sink tip?

Markcanby said:
OnTheFly you must fish a lot of 8' water plus all I hear for you is sinktip sinktip sinktip!:lol:

Sink tip in rivers yes, especially in faster winter water. Some day I will actually use the (sink tips) if only I could get my sorry azz outta bed that time of year.:D :lol:

The intermediate would be for lakes of course.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
FishSchooler said:
I'm looking for a fly rod, that is long-hike-friendly. I prefer a combo type thing since they come with everything you need, because all this fly fishing line and stuff just I dont want to learn everything. A multi piece rod that comes with a small case that is light and small under $50 would be great (for trout in small rivers, creeks, and mountain lakes).

Why not? :think:

T
Troutier Bassier
HOLY CARP!
You want a Fly Rod!
:shock:

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
HOLY CARP!
You want a Fly Rod!
:shock:

Notice how I added the HIKE IN where there will be no people and where the fish eat nothing but flies, unlike cedar creek.

OTF-Um... I would be spending way too much time on it and my parents already think I'm fishing "too much." So Im sticking just to what I need to know. :D

G
GDBrown
Fly Rod

Fly Rod

With some simple instruction & practice on a wide open field (think ball field) anyone can learn to handle a fly rod. I can catch more fish on flies than any other artificial lure in my box. There's a great show on Verizon TV called "The New Flyfisher" that any fisherman will learn from. I highly recommend it.

T
Troutier Bassier
FishSchooler said:
Notice how I added the HIKE IN where there will be no people and where the fish eat nothing but flies, unlike cedar creek.

OTF-Um... I would be spending way too much time on it and my parents already think I'm fishing "too much." So Im sticking just to what I need to know. :D
Or did you lose a Bet?

F
FishSchooler
F
fishnquest
I got my backpacking fly rod some 2 or 3 decades ago, 4 or 5wt i think. Breaks down into several pieces and the butt is reversible to use a small spinning rod with it, too. They do usually come with floating line and work great on small creeks and the like for trout, but you have to "sneak up" on the fish. If they see you first, all bets are off. Cast in from behind the bushes or something and they will nail the little dry fly the instant it hits the water, its a blast. Do yourself a favor and get some gink to keep the dry flies on top of the water longer. You will want sinking tip line (and a bigger rod) if you are going for the steelhead. Good luck. BTW, arent you in yosemite?

F
FishSchooler
fishnquest said:
I got my backpacking fly rod some 2 or 3 decades ago, 4 or 5wt i think. Breaks down into several pieces and the butt is reversible to use a small spinning rod with it, too. They do usually come with floating line and work great on small creeks and the like for trout, but you have to "sneak up" on the fish. If they see you first, all bets are off. Cast in from behind the bushes or something and they will nail the little dry fly the instant it hits the water, its a blast. Do yourself a favor and get some gink to keep the dry flies on top of the water longer. You will want sinking tip line (and a bigger rod) if you are going for the steelhead. Good luck. BTW, arent you in yosemite?

No, came home 3 days ago.
Can you explain this "butt" thing more? :D

F
fishnquest
The butt is the bottom piece of the rod. Where the reel attaches. Mine is reversible; either end will attach to the next section of the rod. Put it one way and you use a fly reel. Put it the other way and you use a spinning reel. Pretty cool for backpacking because the rod can do double duty.

F
FishSchooler
Oh, I though it was like you have your fly reel seat, then if you flip the handle, you would half a spinning reel seat higher up, then you could share the same rod.

F
fishnquest
Yes, we are saying the same thing. You call it the handle, I called it the butt. I don't know if every packable rod has the feature. maybe? Mine has a hole in both ends so that the first "rod" section can go into either end. The reel seat is pretty simple, just a couple of "rings" that slip over the reel to hold it. It works great and I have never had a reel come loose.

F
FishSchooler
fishnquest said:
Yes, we are saying the same thing. You call it the handle, I called it the butt. I don't know if every packable rod has the feature. maybe? Mine has a hole in both ends so that the first "rod" section can go into either end. The reel seat is pretty simple, just a couple of "rings" that slip over the reel to hold it. It works great and I have never had a reel come loose.

May I ask where you got it?

F
fishnquest
I got it at a local sports shop about 1984 or so. The rod is 6'-6", lure 1/8 to 1/4, light spin/fly action. It is Berkeley Trilene 2-8 (thats what is says on the rod). It breaks down into 6 pcs and came with a soft case for the pieces and a cylinder case to put it all in. The reel is Browning 2145. I tried to attach a couple pics, but my puter wont cooperate, sorry.
I lied before about the reel attach, it is not just a couple rings, its a legitmate reel mount (you know, stick one end in the slot, tighten the ring on the other end).
Don't ask what I paid, I totally don't remember; and no, I don't want to part with it, I love it. It was my first fly rod, easy to learn with and tons of fun.
I went to a local shop and asked for help when I was shopping for it. I must have found a good guy in the shop. It turned out to be a great trout fly setup for small creeks and such. I caught tons over the years backpacking in Yosemite (after I got the hang of it). Good luck with your hunt.

O
OnTheFly
FishSchooler said:

I'd like a word with your parents then.

F
fishnquest
OnTheFly said:
I'd like a word with your parents then.

:lol::lol::clap::clap::clap: