Looking at new motor

C

Charlie_merrifi

I found this on craigs list. Appears to be a late 50s to early 60s evinrude. It is a 10 hp. Am I right on years. Anything I should be cautious of or check. How available are parts. Here's pics. Any idea how heavy. The 15 hp I borrowed is 75 pounds according to the bathroom scale. This one be about the same

4da0c2cd.jpg
37466b7d.jpg

F

Fishun-nutz

If you put that on your boat I for one will salute you when you go by.

C

capblack

very patriotic indeed . I would be very cautious buying a motor that old. the price difference in some of the newer ones on craigslist isn't that much. Your going to have a much harder time finding parts, and you will need parts. Brian

C

Charlie_merrifi

Not actually costing me anything. Possibly trading a old utility trailer

C

capblack

call the marine parts store, and see if the parts are available, if there hard to get, then id keep the trailer . Brian
Not actually costing me anything. Possibly trading a old utility trailer

C

capblack

I would personally wait for a newer one, but if it runs good, and the parts are available, then maybe its worth it for you. Brian

S

Shadelady

fuel should be 50:1
i just bought a '71 Evinrude and so far i am very happy- a few kinks in the beginning, but the guy i bought from was helpful with them.

D

DirectDrive

fuel should be 50:1
i just bought a '71 Evinrude and so far i am very happy- a few kinks in the beginning, but the guy i bought from was helpful with them.

Sorry, I disagree. The 70's motors were a different era.
The motor in question was probably designed for 24:1 mix.
Dig around and find a guru(s) with a track record that is running 50's motors and see what mixes they are using.

C

capblack

If it was designed for 24:1 in the 50s, I wouldnt suggest 24:1 with todays fuel. The fuel is much different. Its better to use to much oil than not enough. To much and it will smoke, or foul a plug, to little, and it will burn a piston. Do some research, dont take someones word for it. My newer johnson runs 50:1, but talk to someone with an old motor like yours. Brian
Sorry, I disagree. The 70's motors were a different era.
The motor in question was probably designed for 24:1 mix.
Dig around and find a guru(s) with a track record that is running 50's motors and see what mixes they are using.

D

DirectDrive

If it was designed for 24:1 in the 50s, I wouldnt suggest 24:1 with todays fuel. The fuel is much different. Its better to use to much oil than not enough. To much and it will smoke, or foul a plug, to little, and it will burn a piston. Do some research, dont take someones word for it. My newer johnson runs 50:1, but talk to someone with an old motor like yours. Brian
Well, it looks like it was a 20:1 or 24:1 motor depending on year. 2 cycle motor oil has been improved over the years, so I would expect more wear protection from today's oils. I would definitely avoid ethanol gas like the plague for the ol' girl. It's easy to find good gas....get the list of vendors from State of Oregon Marine Board or get your gas at your favorite marina.

I still have the ol' man's pride and joy 1956 30HP Evinrude Lark and I remember him mixing at 24:1 with OMC oil. I'll bet a mechanic told him that with the new oil he could go 24:1 or he would have stayed at 20:1 being as cautious as he was.
BTW, that was the largest Evinrude outboard available in 1956 !

Some awesome pics here:
Antique and Classic Outboard Motor Paint & Decals

Last edited:
F

fishnquest

It looks like the seller took some pride in that motor. He should answer all your questions with confidence. Start it and run it for you, even take you out on the water with it. I went through 3 old motors before I gave up, gave them away to my repair shop and bought a newer merc.
Get the mfr, model, make and serial #s. Google old boat motors. There are resources out there. I even found an antique boat motor club once; helpful people there.

S

stream2.5

20:1 with 30w non detergent 2cycle.. was the original mix..

new oils you will be fine with anything 32:1 or more oil....

personally id run 25:1

Last edited:
C

Charlie_merrifi

I passed on it. Had to use starter fluid to get it started. It was very hard to pull. Ran rough. One of the plugs was rusted on

D

DirectDrive

Good on you for thoroughly checking it out.
You will eventually find a nice one.

Top Bottom