Look what the dog drug in.....

N

nwkiller

So a few days ago I was over at a buddies house helping get ready for his girlfriends birthday. Our dogs played as they always do, at one point i heard my buddies dog barkingoff in the woods not far from the house. Alittle later here he comes with my dog in close follow. He's got a deer bone in his mouth and my dog is trying to get it away from him. My friend and i are both thinking to are selkves...great theres a dead deer nearby that they probably have been rolling in and having a good time. Just a part of being in the country i guess..........Well that was a few days ago.............yesterday my buddy did a little reconn/hike in the woods near the house and sure enough, theres a deer lieing dead, already decomposed with nothe but the bones left. This was no ordanary deer....it was an amazing 6 by 7 buck, the biggest most simetrical antlers ive ever seen on a black tail around here......check this majestic thing out. hopefully this thing passed on plenty of gene....i know he did..............
IMG_20110423_134548.jpg
IMG_20110423_155822.jpg
IMG_20110423_134440.jpg
IMG_20110423_134500.jpg
Not sure how he died animals have sort of scattered the bones
It was found around 30 ft from the house about 100 yards from a road that he was potentaly hit and walked off and died, not sure though. even its teeth are sharp and healthyy looking so im sure it had no trouble eating and wasn't starving.......

M

Markcanby

thats huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N

nwkiller

ya, i about $h^& myself when i seen it!

G

GoldFishSlayer

holy #$%*^% thats impressive id hang that in the house lol

S

SALTYFISH

Wow! Droll !!! UM!!um!!um!! I'm speechless that is a find of a life time wright there. I'm totally jealous. Any chance ur buddy would sell that (dumb question but worth a shot).

N

nwkiller

lol probably wont sell it, ....lol im hopin he ends up not wanting it, cause ya it would go in the house

by the way anyone know how they measue these....im not much of a hunter, so im not familiar at all.... I know the oregon state record it 203 for non typical.....is this a non typical or typical? thanks for any help

S

skunk

That's an awesome find, too bad it wasn't seen through your scope first!

C_Run

C_Run

Nobody hunts in our family but we have a nice four point rack mounted prominently as you walk in our living room. Before we were married my wife's dog dragged it in when she was living out by Noti back in the '80's and she took it to the taxidermy shop. It makes for good conversation.

G

GoldFishSlayer

you would have to take it somewhere to get officially scored sometimes they have booths at sportsman shows but if you look at this site you might find someone in your area who can help Northwest Big Game Inc. – Official Measurers of NW Big Game Inc. anyways has to go through a drying period which that one has already then they have three different judges measure and agree on an official score I think the record for sheds is pretty high I think thats the slot it would go into beings nobody actually took the animal. But the website i mentioned should get you on the right track I actually know where a few of those records hang (on friends walls)

N

nwkiller

JJ we suspected a car too!
thats funny Crun, you and i have similair stories......
GFS thanks so much that was huge info for sure!

N

nwkiller

So someone said i might be able to possibly get a poaching fine for finding this....can anyone comment? thanks very much appreciated

G

GoldFishSlayer

no you can't get a poaching fine its no different than finding a shed as far as I have ever heard you didn't kill it illegally so I don't see how you could get in that kind of trouble for finding it I could be wrong but that sounds ridiculous if you cut em off at the skull you could just say they were sheds I don't see any way they could get ya for it. I would just clean up the skull and hang it up how it is though man what an awesome find

G

GoldFishSlayer

yea anytime hope that other info got you in touch with the right people. They will be able to tell you right away where to go and what to do with it as far as scoring goes. Probably one of the state guys beings its not taken by bow or gun, but any of them could tape it for ya. They use a cable tape to measure them and they all have different methods kinda tricky to do it at home so better just having an official do it(and thats why they usually have three guys do it then agree on an official number) . they might even want to put the rack in their next edition for sure looks big enough to me last sportsman show I was at they had a category for sheds be pretty cool to get that thing in there

Last edited:
N

nwkiller

it defenetly help, i think im gonna give one on the people a call and see what it measures out at.....i think its pretty cool that a hunter didn't get it...nothing against hunting but, ....they couldnt get him...lol

G

GoldFishSlayer

yea i know a guy with one sittin in his garage right now that will probably put him top ten in the books for archery this year if he gets it measured and he already has one at 12 I think (some guys have all the luck) big bucks don't get big by being dumb which is crazy if he actually got whacked by a car the odds of finding something like that are for sure once in a lifetime. that dog deserves a new bed and some treats haha

N

nwkiller

thats funny.....well i just talked to a freind of mine, he says that it illegal to piuck up animal heads in the woods........i shall return it!! :)

Top Bottom